A Fat Wreck - Unofficial Punk-u-mentary about Fat Wreck Chords

You can contribute to the Indiegogo campaign for A Fat Wreck here.

From their Indiegogo page:

Short Summary

We are not affiliated with Fat Wreck Chords. We are fans of the bands, the label, and the genre, and we want to tell a story of a time in music that inspired us like no other, from that point of view. The fan's perspective... The people Fat Wreck Chords influenced along the way. It's important to us and everyone who would like to see this film that we tell the story the right way; that we don't cut any corners or neglect any key interviews or footage for the sake of completion. We want to put as much Fat Wreck Chords content into this film as possible, and our contributors are key in making this happen for everyone. 

What We Need & What You Get

As it stands, our goal is to raise $7,500 USD. This isn't much money to produce a feature length documentary, and that's because so much of the film has already been shot, and some of the editing and production is currently under way. We have a small amount of traveling to do: Texas to California and back. A few fees, some cash into the perks, and the rest into production. We broke everything down here so you can see exactly where the contributions are going. If, by chance, we fail to meet our goal, we are still going to bring you the very best Fat Wreck Chords documentary possible with the resources we have available. We would be forced to sacrifice the Fat Wreck Chords Cover Song physicalcompilation, and some extra footage that we are really looking forward to, but the film will go on, come Hell or high water! Damnit! (If we go over, shit just gets better!)

The Impact

For better or worse, depending on who you ask, FAT Wreck Chords was a major player in the resurgence of punk rock in the early 90's with significant influence on the genre and and a very likely long lasting impact on the history of punk rock. This documentary aims to be the deepest look the outside world has been able to take on the unfolding of that history. The way it all came together told by the artists, recording engineers, and record label itself, as well as the impact they all had, as seen through the eyes of the fans, bands, writers, club owners, promoters, and everyone else influenced one way or another by this music. A FAT Wreck is the collaborative examination of the rise of a DIY scene, produced in the truest fashion of DIY, for a DIY audience. 

Other Ways You Can Help

This project is as much yours as it is ours, just like the history it represents. So even if a financial contribution isn't in the cards for you, please don't feel like you can't be a part of the story. We are always happy to graciously accept the effort of those who are determined, and willing to lend a hand. So send us any rare footage you might be sitting on, upload your FAT Wreck Chords cover songs, put us in touch with some sweet interviewees, or just surprise us! But most importantly, Spread The Word! We can't emphasize this enough. This is a DIY project and DIY relies on grass roots efforts. So thank you for the consideration, contributions, and your Trust!

• 1 year later...

Just a quick bump to inform people that they are going to be starting a shorter, final campaign to add more stuff to film because it has evolved from their original idea. I've seen some really cool interviews as a volunteer transcriber.

Anyway the new fundraiser launches sometime today and they intend to raise $15,000 for the film. To do things like:

wco8ldxcx7awrv4dc4hx.jpg

piumjin6az4nd3oeqp5w.jpg

dfcyw5cdmbbxtb8k3wnx.jpg

lqzkwta3c5kpbwwbhj9b.jpg

bmbuk39vzm10snqhna85.jpg

There are some pretty cool perks. Naturally I opted for the covers compilation way back in April 2014. There are some pretty great yet lesser-known bands on it too. Some of the other perks are pretty sweet. I'll update the thread when the link goes live.

$300 for a Joey Cape voice mail message? Who still uses voice mail? :P

Well if your grandma is into punkrawk, she'll dig it. ;)

They should probably put "travel/hotel not included" on those screening perks.

You are right.

the flick looks pretty sweet though

From the interview clips I've seen, I think it will be very interesting. I'm really pumped on the comp because a friend of mine's band is on it covering a Strung Out song. I can't recall which one offhand. If their song is any evidence of the quality of the comp, it will be badass.

• 3 weeks later...

Was about to donate then realized it was $100 for the blu-ray/vinyl package. Sorry, but no.

Understandable! I went with just  the vinyl way back when at $65, then it lowered to $40-45 so he said they'd throw in extras. Plus, I've helped work on the film a little and am hoping that all adds up to a blu-ray, but if not whatever. I just want to watch it. :D

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, nancy_raygun said:

I wasn't impressed, personally.  After it was finished I just felt like I would have preferred a full length documentary on Lagwagon.

I thought it was done well. I'm 28 years old  and as the documentary says I'm definitely a second generation Fat Wreck kid, growing up with bands like Lawrence Arms, Smoke or Fire, Strike Anywhere, Anti-Flag, None More Black, Against Me, Leftover Crack, Rise Against, etc. Of the first generation stuff, I was real into NOFX, but No Use/Lagwagon/Strung Out were never really my thing. I like them enough, but I was totally content with the amount of Lagwagon that was in it. 

Edited by kylet

On 1/22/2017 at 3:11 PM, kylet said:

I thought it was done well. I'm 28 years old  and as the documentary says I'm definitely a second generation Fat Wreck kid, growing up with bands like Lawrence Arms, Smoke or Fire, Strike Anywhere, Anti-Flag, None More Black, Against Me, Leftover Crack, Rise Against, etc. Of the first generation stuff, I was real into NOFX, but No Use/Lagwagon/Strung Out were never really my thing. I like them enough, but I was totally content with the amount of Lagwagon that was in it. 

Same, those second gen Fat bands are the fucking best imo. Larry Arms, NMB, AM! But I'm also reeeeeeally into Lagwagon. 

The blu ray is OOS right now but I ordered to secure that sweet ass price. 

13 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

The blu ray is OOS right now but I ordered to secure that sweet ass price. 

Good call. My copy shipped. Can't wait to watch this again and show it to my wife. I feel like this documentary does a great job of making Fat Wreck seem as important to the rest of the world as it did in my eyes as a 12 year old haha.

18 hours ago, nickj said:

Glad they were able to talk about Fat's history and impact without having to say it was the best label of all time, like most documentaries would. Documentaries always seem to oversell the importance of their topic.

Although Filmage didn't stress enough exactly how fucking awesome Descendents/ALL were. 

9 minutes ago, kylet said:

Dame that sucks! You ordered the Bluray and got a DVD? I'd send that shit back. The Bluray is a 2-disc and includes a DVD version anyways.

Ehhh. Anyone who orders the blu-ray will likely get the DVD. I mean, when with that price difference, it has to be a listing error! 

But im not too concerned.