SpaceLab9 thread

Rip

Man you guys are FAST!!! Below is the actual press release. But make sure you guys are aware of the hand screened jacket version of which only 100 will be made.  For whatever reason I can't post the image so here is the link to that: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0b184e7x74yvbu/district9_lp_screened.jpg?dl=0

October 21, 2014 –Upon its release in 2009, DISTRICT 9 transcended the confines of the science fiction/thriller film genre to become a certified mainstream phenomenon. A Peter Jackson production as well as the directorial debut by writer Neill Blomkamp, DISTRICT 9 was nominated for four Academy Awards®™ including Best Picture, in addition to having received stellar reviews and countless accolades from within the film industry and from critics alike.

From its sublime, droning rhythms to its frenetic tribal beats, the score by composer Clinton Shorter®™ (2 Guns, Pompeii) provided the perfect backdrop to compliment to the on-screen drama, now cemented in time as a fan favorite and cult classic. SPACELAB9 and Madison Gate Records are thrilled to announce the release of the DISTRICT 9 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Deluxe Expanded Edition] Double LP, scheduled to hit store shelves in North America on November 25th and throughout Europe and the UK on December 5th. Released for the first time on vinyl, the deluxe expanded album includes the eleven tracks from the original 30-minute album, plus
, for the first time in any format, an additional eight bonus tracks comprising 25 minutes of previously unreleased original score. Composer Clinton Shorter had this to say about the release: “I'm thrilled to see an extended score for District 9 become available. To see it on vinyl makes it that much more special. I hope fans of the film will feel the same. Thanks so much to Wingnut Films, Madison Gate Records and Spacelab9 for making this happen."

Record collectors and genre aficionados who have come to expect high quality content and packaging from SPACELAB9 will be ecstatic with the painstaking care that went into the DISTRICT 9 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Deluxe Expanded Edition] Double LP. The Deluxe Double LP package includes a full color gatefold jacket, a double-sided 12” x 24” insert featuring exclusive liner notes from director Neill Blomkamp and film composer Clinton Shorter as well as a reproduction of the original theatrical lobby card. Additionally, for the early birds and the die-hard collectors, an edition of only 100 colored vinyl copies packaged in hand-screened jackets featuring unique artwork and an exclusive 18” x 24” insert will be made available during the pre-sale at SPACELAB9.COM on October 28th. Join the mailing list at SPACELAB9.COM for up-to-the-minute details!

At what time will this go up?

Based upon a lot of the feedback we got from vinyl Collective members and customers in general we are going to refrain from posting an exact time to prevent people from rushing en masse and having the site meltdown. In addition to District 9 on October 28th we will have another brand new release available as well. More details on that in a few days!

Here is another image of the screened jacket version of District 9: 

1606988_406224232865911_2215438281970556

Based upon a lot of the feedback we got from vinyl Collective members and customers in general we are going to refrain from posting an exact time to prevent people from rushing en masse and having the site meltdown. 

I am certain you didn't get feedback from anyone on VC stating we didn't want to know what time something we are interested in would be made available.

If anything we'd rather know when something is going up, and if we don't end up with one in our cart or it sells out we can shrug and say "I tried". Bummer, but no big deal. If instead it's missed because it went up at some random time and we can't afford to sit on your website all day refreshing it hoping an item we're interested in is made available, all you end up with is angry customers who don't wish to do business with you again. ***(see the waxwork F13 release thread for sources)

I am certain you didn't get feedback from anyone on VC stating we didn't want to know what time something we are interested in would be made available.

If anything we'd rather know when something is going up, and if we don't end up with one in our cart or it sells out we can shrug and say "I tried". Bummer, but no big deal. If instead it's missed because it went up at some random time and we can't afford to sit on your website all day refreshing it hoping an item we're interested in is made available, all you end up with is angry customers who don't wish to do business with you again. ***(see the waxwork F13 release thread for sources)

I can assure you with a great deal of certainty that such feedback did indeed come from the members of this forums, perhaps not from you but absolutely the feedback was indeed culled largely from the feedback of Vinyl Collective members. If I can give a loose idea of when the pre-order will go live, and be "loose" that means don't quote me on it but I would say around noon-ish EST would be a fair approximation of time. Will that still piss people off? Almost certainly no matter what one does, in this case our label, not everyone will ever be 100% satisfied. All we can do is try to serve people as best as humanly possible. 

I would recommend following either our Twitter or Facebook as when the pre-sale goes live you will have up to date notification. 

This plus people all over the world buy vinyl. It's pretty essential to know a time if that time is 4am where the buyer is.

Read that as: We don't care because we know it'll sell regardless.

umm no. There is nothing nefarious at play here mon frere.

We proactively took the feedback of customers and the various online communities in which we actively participate in and made said recommended changes appropriately yet the end result is that there are still unhappy campers. Hence the saying "damned if you, damned if you don't".

Hello spacelab9! This is off topic but i saw you comented on devo's EZ listening on youtube asking if anybody wanted it pressed again. And I do! So i was wondering if you guys had any plans on doing so?

While there are no plans that is certainly something that we have wanted to do for many years. We are all HUGE Devo fans here. There is another Mark Mothersbaugh project that we will be working on though that announcement is a few weeks away so I can't spill the beans just yet.

umm no. There is nothing nefarious at play here mon frere.

We proactively took the feedback of customers and the various online communities in which we actively participate in and made said recommended changes appropriately yet the end result is that there are still unhappy campers. Hence the saying "damned if you, damned if you don't".

I don't believe I said anything about it being nefarious. I think I just called it out as a shitty business practice.

If ExtraFox up there wants a chance at the limited copy but lives in Scotland and it drops in the middle of the night he's out of luck. Following you on Twitter and Facebook (as you suggested is the best option available) won't do him any good. If he knew when you were making a product (he actively wants to give you money for) was going to be made available he could set an alarm or make arrangements to ensure he gets at least a fair chance at a copy... as could anyone else in the world that has similar interest in your product.

I'm not here to give anyone a hard time but I am curious if you guys have updated your site? Because the walking dead zombie flesh green drop was a painful mess. Super interested in this district 9 release but not if it means sitting for another 3 hours with the spinning wheel of death.

Yes, we migrated everything to a far more stable server. Mind you, myself, I am not a "tech guy" per se but in speaking to my partner in crime (who is tech savy) the stability of the site is night and day as opposed to the previous pre-sale nightmare you speak of. With our last pre-sale for The Raid 2 everything went fine without a single snag. The appropriate tests are being done currently to ensure that there are no issues. Obviously if you do have any issue whatsoever when ordering goes live message me here and I will be as accomodating as humanly possible. Thanks for the support and interest in what we do.