CATS RULE, DOGS DROOL!

My apartment is all hardwood floors and there are zero issues. Only issue is the littlest fucker of my cats claws at the bedroom door all goddamned night because there's a gap in the frame and the noise seems to be taunting her. Floors are all right, but I may need to replace a cheap shitty door in my cheap shitty apartment. Totally worth it... Kinda

I've had a similar issues with my cat in the past, he loves to lay on the other side of the bathroom door and reach under and scratch the bottom while I'm taking a piss. That or he will jump up and scratch the door like a dog does when it's trying to get back in from the porch.

my female cat is front declawed, and the male we adopted last year isn't. i was worried at first, but aside from him clawing up carpet around the door when we were keeping him in a bedroom while we slowly introduced the two cats, it hasn't been a problem. both he and my other cat loooooove these scratchers: http://www.amazon.com/SmartyKat-0932511-SuperScratcher-Certified-Organic/dp/B00062B84O/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1340RZW6HVJZMZMPFW87

you can get them cheap at target, and he always scratches on them. you might have to try a few different kinds though, because some cats like to scratch horizontally like that, and others like vertical scratchers.

Thanks for all the advice! We're going to buy claw caps I think, plus keep the nails clipped and we bought a horizontal scratcher for him for now. No vets in my town will declaw and it seems like not the best route.

Next question: shots? What do I absolutely have to get? What would you recommend?

Thanks for all the advice! We're going to buy claw caps I think, plus keep the nails clipped and we bought a horizontal scratcher for him for now. No vets in my town will declaw and it seems like not the best route.

Next question: shots? What do I absolutely have to get? What would you recommend?

1. don't declaw cats. it's an awful procedure and sometimes it changes the cat mentally when they lose that ability.

2. if you start when they're young and do it frequently, it's usually not too hard to clip their nails. 

3. give them lots of stimulation when they're young and things to scratch and they'll most likely stay away from furniture when they're older.

re: shots at least rabies, distemper, leukima are the three most common. if the cat ends up being an outdoor cat, there's probably more you'll want to get. but i always recommend keeping the cat inside 100% of the time. 

yeah, i clip claws about once every 2-3 weeks or so, depending on what they look like. usually the front ones need clipped more often than the back.

this should help you:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/vaccinations

one of my cats has a reaction to one of the vaccines, so she has to get a pre-shot to protect against that. a reaction is pretty rare, though, so i wouldn't worry about that. just watch them closely after they get the shots. lethargy and loss of appetite for maybe a day or so is normal, but if they start vomiting a lot, contact the vet immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of declawing (I know I'm late): 

I worked as a Vet Tech for two years and assisted in a lot of different surgeries and procedures. Declawing is a rotten procedure and the sound of the crunch of the blade cutting the bone haunts me to this day. You'd be pretty bummed if someone came and said you didn't need nails but instead took off a good chunk of the tip of each of your fingers. If you are really worried about your couch then don't get a cat in the first place. (I know I'm militant on this but it's a haunting, awful thing to see done in person)

Lauryn - your cat is super cute. 

Thanks, Dave! It was definitely love at first sight when I got her, and even with all of her pee problems and social anxieties that I had to deal with over the years I feel very lucky to have her. 

Also I'm with you on the declawing your cats argument. I could never imagine doing that to an animal and I would assume most people that  have it done don't understand what they are putting their cat through. It's just sad when someone tells me they want to have their cat declawed. I always urge them to find some other way to deal with it.