CATS RULE, DOGS DROOL!

Well she definitely did better last night. I played with her for about an hour before bed like suggested, and when my fiancée and I went to bed, we took her with us again and she actually laid down and I was able to get to sleep at about 11:30pm. Only problem is that around 5:00am she was walking all over myself and my fiancée so that woke me up about an hour before I had to get up.

So unfortunately, at that time, we had to put her in our movie room and shut the doors again. It was only for an hour this time, but still. I really hope she stops this super needy behavior sometime soon. I love how cuddly and loving she is, but there needs to be a time to let us rest, haha.

Well she definitely did better last night. I played with her for about an hour before bed like suggested, and when my fiancée and I went to bed, we took her with us again and she actually laid down and I was able to get to sleep at about 11:30pm. Only problem is that around 5:00am she was walking all over myself and my fiancée so that woke me up about an hour before I had to get up.

So unfortunately, at that time, we had to put her in our movie room and shut the doors again. It was only for an hour this time, but still. I really hope she stops this super needy behavior sometime soon. I love how cuddly and loving she is, but there needs to be a time to let us rest, haha.

Domesticated cats are actually not nocturnal, rather they're crepuscular, which means that they are most active at dawn and dusk. So her being awake and active at 5AM is actually very normal activity. Our cats have become our alarm clocks and let us know when it is time to eat haha. Also, Batman is right "My Cat from Hell" tends to give the same exact information very often but it's pretty useful stuff.

Good thoughts and best of luck to you and lil Colin. I'm sure he'll get the best treatment possible and will be up and running as soon as things got sorted out! Keep us posted!

Thanks :-) I will post in here once there's some news. I'm sure he'll be alright!

Domesticated cats are actually not nocturnal, rather they're crepuscular, which means that they are most active at dawn and dusk. So her being awake and active at 5AM is actually very normal activity. Our cats have become our alarm clocks and let us know when it is time to eat haha. Also, Batman is right "My Cat from Hell" tends to give the same exact information very often but it's pretty useful stuff.

Yeah, I agree with this. Unfortunately if you want a pet who won't wake you up early in the morning, a cat is not the right choice. That said, kittens and young cats have a lot more energy, generally the older they get the more they just wanna relax.

Personally my advice would be that if the cat falls asleep in another room, leave it there when you go to bed. Otherwise you're gonna risk waking it and causing more of an issue. Maybe that's wrong, but I see no harm in it personally.

One other thing I would note for someone that is new to cats is to definitely read up on their dietary needs. It's a lot easier to leave dry food out for them but it has been said that "the worst wet foods tend to be better for them than the best dry foods". That is probably hyperbole but the point is that in general, dry food is not species appropriate. It is not very good for things like their liver, kidneys, and teeth. They also do not need carbohydrates in the proportions that are found in dry food. Also, cats naturally have a low thurst drive and would normally receive a sizable portion of their water intake from prey or food they eat. It is a little more expensive, but definitely worth reading up on.

We were told that we could either give her wet or dry food by the people at the shelter. They said they usually feed the cats both or something like that, so we're just seeing how that goes for the time being. Plus my fiancée has this thing with wet cat food that she can't even be near it/smell it without wanting to throw up, lol. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but yeah.

She really is such a good cat though, I can't stress that enough. Doesn't make a sound during the day, doesn't bite/chew on things. We've only caught her scratching at our couch twice (which made me put her scratching post near where that was), and wants nothing but to be loved. So once I get this night-time thing figured out, she'll be even more perfect than she already is.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been almost a month since we got her and after those first couple nights, she's been an absolute angel.  Pretty much perfect in every way.  I also finally got some good pictures of her :).

harley_zpskhwhihgb.jpg

harley2_zpsxitvy3ap.jpg

harley3_zpsad69yq0f.jpg

harley4_zpsodgnhqok.jpg

And this is one of my favorite/one of the cutest things about her.  She has 2 pink toes!

13102689_1126775604009673_89897239522077

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update on my guys! Colin had his MRI scan, turns out he has a form of Spina Bifida. Had to have corrective surgery and we're now two weeks post-op. Been a bumpy few weeks, he lost the use of his lower body entirely from the surgery, but he's back on his feet and gradually getting there. Few pics:

A few days post op:

WP_20160502_12_00_10_Moment.jpg

Two days ago:

10156852244465058.jpg

Also, we picked up a tie for Joe...

IMG-20160514-WA0005.jpg

13237873_1089962037712016_45124554459530

My Kid wants me to start making him shirts to wear with our cats faces on them. So like a good Dad I'm obliging - with the caveat that they have to have Hard Core references included. This is a mock-up. Newer versions looking much cleaner for a screen but I saw the thread and wanted to toss something in. Snicket For Ever!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well since I've posted those last pictures, we've let Daisy out throughout the rest of the apartment and her and Harley quickly became best friends.  They play fight and wrestle all the time and they're just the absolute best.

First picture I was able to take of them together:

harleyanddaisy_zpsynhtmc8a.jpg

Here they are cuddling on my wife's lap:

harleyanddaisy2_zpsb90nunws.jpg

Napping head to head:

FullSizeRender%206_zpsyxrqpdfh.jpg

AND HERE THEY ARE SPOONING!!!  If this isn't one of the cutest pictures you've ever seen, then you're crazy:

harleyanddaisy3_zps1ctlljiu.jpg

• 1 month later...