Looks like Blood Music pressed some Cloudkicker

Well said, Derek.

#shitpeoplesaythataggrevatesothers

#ijustdidittoobyhashtagging

I have a reputation for being a stickler about that particular typo.  And when it gets posted casually, I shrug it off and move on with life.  But when someone is using it in a debate or to argue with another post, I can't resist.

Yep, does not make any since whatsover ;)

Honey, no need for such a tirade. I thought it was pretty clear that I wasn't 100% about it serious. I could care less about this Cloudkicker or Blood Music. Next time I'll remember to drop a few emoticons or a zany gif.

The 'vinyl bubble' comment was meant to say that nobody, trust me, NOBODY would have care about this kind of marketing tactic back in 1965->2005 when buying music on actual physical form was the norm and not going out of your way. Can you imagine pre-ordering some kind of secret cd back in 1993? Nope. Nobody ever did. If you figure out why.

Lolumadbro?

Props to Blood Music, this was a cool idea that was marketed and executed very well. Now Cloudkicker is getting some good buzz before they tour, some extra cash from Blood Music and some new fans who were willing to take a chance on the mystery releases. Even the folks who bought the mystery releases and didn't like them can just re-sell them and get their money back and probably more. Everybody wins. 

I have a reputation for being a stickler about that particular typo. And when it gets posted casually, I shrug it off and move on with life. But when someone is using it in a debate or to argue with another post, I can't resist.

I'm just mad I skimmed right over it haha. That's bugged me for years as well.

Here you can see images of "The Discovery" LP, which was the cover that was totally re-drawn.  Of course, the back image never existed, so we created that out of the same motif - very simple.  The reverse contains all original credits and official Creative Commons code.

13775725464_6381b9d344.jpg

13775375455_d695af706e.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodmusic/sets/72157643788492363/

Here you can see images of "The Discovery" LP, which was the cover that was totally re-drawn.  Of course, the back image never existed, so we created that out of the same motif - very simple.  The reverse contains all original credits and official Creative Commons code.

13775725464_6381b9d344.jpg

13775375455_d695af706e.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodmusic/sets/72157643788492363/

Looks amazing, please make more :)

I was actually REALLY disappointed with the sound quality of the Strapping Young Lad box set that I spent $250 on. Sounded like someone in the mastering booth was trying too hard to give it that 'vinyl warmth' and it came out sounding like non-dynamic mush. Alien was the biggest disappointment of them all. That being my only Blood Music listening experience, I'll pass on this.

I was actually REALLY disappointed with the sound quality of the Strapping Young Lad box set that I spent $250 on. Sounded like someone in the mastering booth was trying too hard to give it that 'vinyl warmth' and it came out sounding like non-dynamic mush. Alien was the biggest disappointment of them all. That being my only Blood Music listening experience, I'll pass on this.

We let Devin choose which engineer he wanted, and he chose Troy (who has mastered all the DTP records).  We let Troy do his thing, and didn't disturb.  Plus, you should realize that SYL is not a very "dynamic" band in that sense.  Much of the material is intentionally brick-walled.

That's the first time we've heard a complaint about them, but to each their own.  

We think those sound great and these too.

And as for why "Alien" sounded different than the rest - please understand that all of these albums were created at different times, so it's impossible to get all of the music sounding the same.

Devin has stated that he basically considered himself suicidal and certifiably insane at that point, and the mixing of the record in its original form is totally overdone.  It's an incredible album, but we worked with the highest resolution audio that exists and prepped it for vinyl - so it likely wouldn't be possible to do better.

There is no "vinyl warmth" filter that is added in the mastering process - so that perception of warmth is coming from your system chain of stylus, amp, and speakers.  The real process that occurs during mastering is mostly the prepping of the material to fit within the suitable bandwidth of vinyl, accounting for headroom where possible, while keeping the original sound as intact as possible.

If you listened through the albums and heard one thing you didn't like and considered it a flop, we think you missed the point of the collection.

And as for why "Alien" sounded different than the rest - please understand that all of these albums were created at different times, so it's impossible to get all of the music sounding the same.

Devin has stated that he basically considered himself suicidal and certifiably insane at that point, and the mixing of the record in its original form is totally overdone. It's an incredible album, but we worked with the highest resolution audio that exists and prepped it for vinyl - so it likely wouldn't be possible to do better.

There is no "vinyl warmth" filter that is added in the mastering process - so that perception of warmth is coming from your system chain of stylus, amp, and speakers. The real process that occurs during mastering is mostly the prepping of the material to fit within the suitable bandwidth of vinyl, accounting for headroom where possible, while keeping the original sound as intact as possible.

If you listened through the albums and heard one thing you didn't like and considered it a flop, we think you missed the point of the collection.

Thanks for replying directly to me. Don't get me wrong, I didn't miss the point of the collection. There a reason I haven't tried to hock it on eBay. A few of the discs I think sounded very good. Specifically Alien and City though (the two I was looking most forward to) just lacked in both low-end punch and high-end brilliance for me, a problem I don't have with other records I own. Alien at least I had the CD since 2005, so I felt I have a good idea of how dynamic that can sound with its 808 hits. Compared to the CD, I found the vinyl lacking in these departments (the reason I used the term 'vinyl warmth'). The CD still hits hard on my system through the same amp and speakers, but every time there's an 808 hit on the vinyl it just sounds like brown mush. I even purchased a new cartridge giving the pressing the benefit of the doubt, but I got the same results. I tried asking you guys on Facebook for listening gear recommendations but you said you didn't do that, I assume for liability purposes which I understand.

Having said all that, overall I'm happy enough for the box set and the wonderful book included, I just wish I felt more inclined to put the actual records on my turntable.

My apologies for detracting from the actual topic at hand. I saw an opportunity to speak my piece and took it. Thanks again.