Can anyone advise on'fake promo's ? Im confused and need help! Please

Hi to everyone.

Im new and not too familiar with forums on the whole. However I have run out of places to turn.. I have found myself in a situsation where I am reluctant to believe advice!

I have some vinyl I am trying to value it and maybe sell a couple of pieces.

They belonged to a writer at NME in the late 70' early 80's.

I have lots of test presses/promo's demo's both albums and 7".

The problem is I have only been dealing in vinyl for a few years and more as a pass time to add to my own collection, needless to say I have never EVER come across anything like this.

There is a lot of papaer work , delivery slips advice notes . Compliment notes asking for reviews. Signitures and thank you notes.

I have spoken to one person I trusted in the industry and he has told me they are all fakes however he will pay me £200 for  them ?

I know the back story so I am reluctaant to think they are fakes. I wasn't sold them I was given them and the gent that gave me them knew the man that wrote for NME.

Can anyone please advise me on how I can figure out what I have? I have pictured all the singles demo's/promo's so I can email a link..

Thank you so much in advance

Bop On

Kookoo

That's what I thought Thrift store 7"( did I get that right)? I new :wacko:

I don't know what reason you have to trust the "industry person" but when somebody tells me "these are all fake, but here's £200", I get incredibly suspicious.

These are all from the 70's 80's So amongst them there are Pink floyd Promo, Sabbath, JLennon Blondie, just to name a few. So should they be real I would think they will be worth a pretty penny ! It is just so difficult to find out any info on them. They don't seem to be on the tinternet !

What does discogs say about them? Can you find them at all on discogs?

A promo is sometime just a regular pressing that has been stamped or cut out. If it's that type of promo, it's not going to be worth the pretty penny you hope.

If they are promo items that were made only as promo and there's not a regular version, then you are onto something. But they should still be on discogs.

If you have a Pink Floyd test pressing that they sent to NME desperate for someone to review it and help them get their big break, someone is lying.

Post some pictures or list some titles.

a lot of labels used to send white label promos (basically extra test presses... or just a short run in advance of the art/packaging being done to get the singles airplay/reviews.. if the album was a big album from a big artist... its probably not super rare because they had more marketing behind them.. but at the same time bigger fan bases.. so it could be worth a few bucks to the right collector... best bet.. toss 'em up on ebay and see what happens.. thats usually the best bet for stuff like that

Anything by The Cure in there?

Are these acetates? Test pressings? Or white label promos? Acetates will often be one sided and have a label only on one side. Test pressings are regular vinyl and usually two-sided with generic white labels on both sides. May or may not have hand writing on the labels. White label promos are just what they sound like. Same as the regular release but printed white labels, sent to radio and press.

I've studied acetates and test pressings by The Cure, but I'm not familiar with releases by the other artists you listed. These kind of items are similar for a lot of artists from that time period though.

The Cure definitely has fake acetates and test pressings that are sold on Ebay. They always come with a story about how they came from an industry insider. I bought a $500 fake acetate and was lucky to be successful in my claim with Paypal, although I had to get multiple expert opinions on it, including the mastering engineer for that release in the early eighties.

It's worth figuring out if these are real. You could have several thousand dollars worth of stuff. Don't take the offer of $200, whatever you do.

If we can see some label scans, that would help a ton.

Oh, and the fact that you have a lot of paperwork that goes along with these makes me thing they are authentic. Although I'd obviously have to look at it. People easily fake white labels and acetates, but faking documentation that goes along with it is a lot harder.

That guy who offered you $200 definitely seems sketchy.