PO: Tombs, "Savage Gold"

Tombs, "Savage Gold" out June 10, 2014:

http://www.relapse.com/savage-gold-lp-gold.html

Pressing Info:
First Press
1500 x Black Standard Gram
500 x Gold Standard Gram *Mailorder Exclusive*
100 x Clear (do not request clear)

TOMBS’ third album Savage Gold is the most anticipated underground metal album of 2014.  The band’s  sophomore LP Path Of Totality unanimously topped 2011 end of the year metal lists (everyone from Decibel to Pitchfork to NPR, and more, dubbed it their top album of that year).  Savage Gold focuses the awesome strength of Tombs’ previous works into one brilliantly dark post-punk and extreme black-metal masterpiece.  Recorded and produced by Hate Eternal’s Erik Rutan (Cannibal Corpse, Goatwhore), Savage Gold both expands upon the moody post-punk foundations that Tombs’ prior albums explored while also bringing out the band’s most traditionally metal moments yet.  Once every few years a record comes along that sets a new benchmark for what can be done in heavy music.  This is that moment and this is that record.

Thanks for posting. I've been waiting for this to pop up in the Relapse store. A bit expensive for the "Mailorder Exclusive" but this band is so good that it's worth it.

No kidding, Relapse releases have gotten WAY more expensive than they should be.

I didn't love the last Tombs album compared to Winter Hours, but I thought it was good.  I'm still down for this, because even an ok release from them is still well worth listening to.

I'm going to wait until I hear it. I wasn't too fond of 'paths...'' myself.

It's going to be interesting.  It seems like blackened enter genre has become a trend of sorts in heavy music and I feel like Tombs were one of the first bands to start 'blackening' things and it seemed really unique.  Now that it's a lot more common, I hope (and think) that they can still make it fun and exciting.

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, this is streaming in advance.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/459-savage-gold/

Second track in and so far I'm quite enjoying it. I enjoyed the previously released Deathtripper quite a lot as well. Kind of psychedelic or, might be a stretch, shoegazy even

That artwork is amazing. Wish I had the funds to get the MO exclusive. The 8$ extra for a booklet doesn't really bother me as that thing looks so good