Shipping via USPS Media Mail

Theres no real good reason to ever leave a record in one of those boxes. Especially in NYC. Especially with kids and soda bottles. Also there is a 13 ounce limit in those boxes.

Go to your local PO. Drop it off there. Every PO is different about waiting in line and such.

I've ignored the limit on those boxes quite a few times and never had an issue.  Though I do agree that it might not be the smartest thing to dump a record in one of those.

You can order alot of mailers from USPS

There are methods around the internet that demonstrate how to cut correctly around an LP and you can double package it using all free materials from the USPS. USPS will even deliver boxes to you. Order large boxes and cut 12 1/2 squares just make sure you're using actual cardboard and not the flimsy envelopes and double that up for extra protection.

Here's one such method

There's also a post on the boards here but I can't find it. The man in that video cuts squares out makes sure it's taped well around the edges.

That's a nice way to ship records if you only have a few.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone else notice that USPS "free tracking" is no more? When you didn't pay for tracking, that number on the receipt still worked with tracking. It usually started with 9011 or 9012. I sent something today by media mail and they are now printing new postage labels, they are really big and have the number on it. The new number starts with 9552 and doesn't work at the USPS site.

Did anyone else notice that USPS "free tracking" is no more? When you didn't pay for tracking, that number on the receipt still worked with tracking. It usually started with 9011 or 9012. I sent something today by media mail and they are now printing new postage labels, they are really big and have the number on it. The new number starts with 9552 and doesn't work at the USPS site.

are you sure? it usually takes 24 hours until the numbers work on the site.

it's cheaper to print postage at home anyway. those have tracking. 

Flange, man.  Nothing against you, but this is an absolutely terrible way to ship records and shouldn't be promoted to anyone - especially new members - here on the boards.  It's a recipe for disaster.  The flimsy cardboard used in the video would positively buckle, bend, and even rip under the normal wear and tear of USPS handling.  The type of "mailer" (envelope) he's using in that video is what I'd use as padding inside a legitimate cardboard mailer.  And even then I'd double it up.  Please don't ship any records using that method.

are you sure? it usually takes 24 hours until the numbers work on the site.

it's cheaper to print postage at home anyway. those have tracking. 

I thought it usually updated by around 5 pm if I shipped something the same day. I'll try again in 24 hours.

I've thought about printing my own postage, it would certainly save me a lot of time waiting in lines. But I'd have to get a scale

I shipped something the other day that had free tracking by media mail... from Indiana. Maybe reigonal?

What were the first 4 digits of the tracking number?

I've thought about printing my own postage, it would certainly save me a lot of time waiting in lines. But I'd have to get a scale

You don't need a scale. They round up to the nearest pound. One record - one pound. Two records = two pounds. 3-4 records = 3 pounds.

Round up for extra packaging, etc...

You don't need a scale. They round up to the nearest pound. One record - one pound. Two records = two pounds. 3-4 records = 3 pounds.

Round up for extra packaging, etc...

Two records I sent today:

Single record: 1 lb 5.6 oz

Double record: 2 lb 1.4 oz

Rounding those up to 2 lbs and 3 lbs, it would still be cheaper than the post office? I've never had a record come in at under a pound. Though I do use 2 thick cardboard stiffeners on both sides which adds to the weight.

Two records I sent today:

Single record: 1 lb 5.6 oz

Double record: 2 lb 1.4 oz

Rounding those up to 2 lbs and 3 lbs, it would still be cheaper than the post office? I've never had a record come in at under a pound. Though I do use 2 thick cardboard stiffeners on both sides which adds to the weight.

I've been using the "1 record = 1 lb, etc" method for 12+ years, never had a problem.

You can use this link to get to PayPal shipping without having someone pay for the goods.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Also, I try to use first class mail as much as possible. One 12 inch record weighs about 8-9 ounces packaged. 7 inches can be mailed for 4-5 ounces packed. It's also a little cheaper than media mail and takes less time to ship. Using the PayPal shipping, you get the cheaper, online rate as well. 1 pound of media mail with tracking is $2.92, 2 pounds, $3.40.

Woah, thanks for that. 

All the records I've sent with media mail have always come out to $4.22 or something including tracking.  It's only when I send priority that there has been a fluctuation.  I'm guessing it has to do with which zip code zone it's going to, accompanied by weight.  I honestly don't know though.  I really haven't lost more than a few nights sleep over it.  

• 2 weeks later...

The new 9552 number I posted on the previous page did not work at all. Fortunately the buyer was honest and left me feedback.

I just printed postage by Paypal (I had to use a link via Google, I can not find anywhere to do this in their new interface) and it came out to $3.40 with delivery confirmation for a single record. Pretty good.