Cheapest way to get a decent quality album pressed

Hey, I'm really sorry if this topic already exists somewhere but I'd really like to get some vinyl pressed of my band. I only want to do a run of 100 (I doubt we'll even be able to sell that) and I'd prefer to do it on anything but black. I don't know what I wanna do about covers yet as I assume they will be kind of pricey too, maybejust go the braid route and buy old albums from thrift stores and paint over them and make each cover different. The worst part is that we're going to have to get them shipped to canada. I don't care about making any profit on this but I'd like to break even and I don't wanna charge more than $10. Any thoughts?

a friend had his band do a split 7" with another band and they put it out on brown vinyl which looked really cool. i think to order 200 gave them the best deal and it included a 3 color paper insert and a plastic sleeve... if youd like i could check with him. i know this pressing place only does 7" though

this is the easiest way i can think of.

get the audio mastered, the biggest step skipped(if you need a place to go i can make suggestions)

get the audio plated and mastered(different kind of mastering)

www.aardvarkmastering.com...a little more than you'd pay from a plant, but ALWAYS quality job.

they will send the master plates to whatever plant you want to use.

United, www.urpressing.com, is probably going to be the cheapest and will break up colors into 100 amounts if you want.

DO NOT GET YOUR MASTER PLATES FROM UNITED...nothing against them...but they don't do a great job...they're allegedly getting better.

either have the plant handle the labels or go through www.iloveimprint.com. I use this same company for covers.

plastic bags: imprint has them now, but i usually go with www.bagsunlimited.com

good luck.

Well you don't want to cheap-out on the vinyl quality so I would say the best place to save would be the cover. I would get some made-up and use a good color copier. You're also going to pay more if you go non-black from my experience. Last thing I'll mention is doing 100 is considered a short run, you're going to have issues getting a place to do that. You may be better off doing at least 500.

the cheapest way I've found to do lp covers is this....

french paper does paper sizes that aew 12.5" x 19", and while you won't get a full 24" fold over, i think it looks good (plus you can do them on the side and shit like that, just mix it up). screen print those covers (one or two colors to save cost), and then you got maybe about $150 or so into the covers.

you're really going to be paying a lot to just get 100 made honestly. you could risk it and do a 100 test press run, but if the test presses sound like crap you're screwed.

get the audio mastered, the biggest step skipped(if you need a place to go i can make suggestions)

www.aardvarkmastering.com...a little more than you'd pay from a plant, but ALWAYS quality job.

United, www.urpressing.com, is probably going to be the cheapest and will break up colors into 100 amounts if you want.

DO NOT GET YOUR MASTER PLATES FROM UNITED...nothing against them...but they don't do a great job...they're allegedly getting better.

either have the plant handle the labels or go through www.iloveimprint.com. I use this same company for covers.

good luck.

Where do you go for audio mastering?

good luck.

Where do you go for audio mastering?

whats your budget?

Douglas Ward

maximummac.com

Not a "name-brand mastering guy" but cheaper and does a fucking great job. Doug was in Fourth Rotor, V.Reverse.

Bill Henderson

www.myspace.com/azimuthmastering

Bill was in Thursday and is in Between the Wars, the Procedure and x ONE WAY x. great guy, super fast turnaround and a quality job.

then from there i can recommend Bob Weston from Shellac, but he'll be expensive...or more so than the others.

www.chicagomasteringservice.com

Musicol is probably the cheapest option. United had a 100 LP "spring/summer" deal on their website that lasted almost the entire year. It's not up there now, but it was 100 LPs on black 140g vinyl w/black/white labels, 5 test pressings, plain white sleeves (w/center hole), including all plating, mastering, shipping, etc. for $699. Honestly that would have been your best bet. If you were to place a similar order now, it'd probably be like $900-1000.

I'm doing the cd mastering myself as I am into that kind of thing. I know with vinyl mastering that basically you need to make sure the bass isn't too high. So I was thinking of just mastering it myself and then getting it plated. Perhaps that is a bad idea though....

I think our budget is going to be $1000. Basically we're taking all the profits from our cd sales and our cd release show and see if we can press it on vinyl. I just doubt we're going to sell much unless we get the word out and try to sell this on the internet somehow. Again we're not in this for money, but I don't wanna lose money on this. I'm fine with coming out even. Any profit we might make is going to some sort of charity.

I'm doing the cd mastering myself as I am into that kind of thing. I know with vinyl mastering that basically you need to make sure the bass isn't too high. So I was thinking of just mastering it myself and then getting it plated. Perhaps that is a bad idea though....

I think our budget is going to be $1000. Basically we're taking all the profits from our cd sales and our cd release show and see if we can press it on vinyl. I just doubt we're going to sell much unless we get the word out and try to sell this on the internet somehow. Again we're not in this for money, but I don't wanna lose money on this. I'm fine with coming out even. Any profit we might make is going to some sort of charity.

how many minutes of music are you going to have?

Bill Henderson

www.myspace.com/azimuthmastering

Bill was in Thursday and is in Between the Wars, the Procedure and x ONE WAY x. great guy, super fast turnaround and a quality job.

awesome dude. mastered our 7" and cd for us. has also done with honor, hellhole, mother night etc...

great price, great work, solid job all around.