Nujabes, would you buy a compilation album?

yes! the individual albums would be even better though... i have the last three Luv(sic) 12"s from hydeout and theyre amazing. i still have hope that vinyl-digital.de will put out the nujabes records. i think they mentioned somewhere that they were interested in that but that the communication with the japanese label was somewhat difficult.

• 1 month later...

TL;DR: Yes, but I'd prefer vinyl re-issues of all his proper albums that were only released on CD.

Nujabes' label -- Hydeout Productions -- seems to be very protective of Nujabes' material and wishes for his life to be private. There was a fellow by the name of Abe who did a lot of research on Jun and even traveled to Japan to film his family members and people who knew him best. It's been complete for well over a year now, and Hydeout still hasn't published it; either because it wasn't up to par, or because they didn't want it produced at a certain time.

If you were able to secure rights to press his records, I don't think Hydeout would want someone else to chop up his albums into a compilation. I get the feeling that they would rather keep them whole, or create a "Greatest Hits" on their own and publish it on their own label.

Personally, I'd kill to own some of his stuff on vinyl. It's so warm and comforting, it's a shame it was never released on our favorite format (save for one 7" and those Love Sic 12"s). Crossing my fingers for you, pal!

yooo samurai champloo soundtrack i'd be all over

i think there have been represses of that in the last couple of years. i got a copy on black vinyl with a screenprinted cover like two years or so ago and i remember there have been colored copies available at a later point. are they going for insane prices like the very first pressing?

Japanese labels hardly ever do vinyl releases, although this trend is chaining as of late so who knows...

when they do the outcome is amazing though. i have a few japanese lps (including the last three luv sic 12"s) and theyre all of incredibly high quality.

doesnt change anything about your stated fact... but i had to get this out, haha.