PO: Alex G - DSU (Orchid Tapes)

http://softspeakrecords.storenvy.com/

Same run sizes, still $12 and all proceeds to charity. It's cool that the guy wants more money I'm just saying these excuses don't really hold any water. Whatevs.

I don't know, unless you know either of the owners personally, I can't say you can make any judgement on their cost of living/expenses/whatever

That's amazing that they do that and make it work, but when it comes down to it, we're a business and not a charity. For the goals that we have in mind (paying our artists and having enough money to do more / bigger releases and still making enough to live on modestly) that's obviously not a realistic or sustainable model. And like I said, both Brian and I are trying to make livings off our other creative efforts (which collectively occupies 100% of our time) so it's not like we're raking in big money on the side with Wall St. jobs or anything.

Anyways. I'm not here to further justify why we charge how much we do, I've tried to make it pretty clear, and I just wanted to come here to say thank you so anyone who chooses to support us and has helped us to get to where we are as a label. The exchange of money for the physical versions of music is an increasingly rare thing and we're blown away each and every time someone decides to pay for something we've put out. We're very humbled by the small successes we've come across and we hope we're graced by more good things in the future.

I too am upset on missing out, so I get it. But I get the other end too. Can't blame the label for doing nothing wrong and everything right I guess. I think maybe the frustration is with our own inability to indulge in that which we want whenever it's available because it's simply not possible at the time.

http://softspeakrecords.storenvy.com/

Same run sizes, still $12 and all proceeds to charity. It's cool that the guy wants more money I'm just saying these excuses don't really hold any water. Whatevs.

I actually have now released a record with Soft Speak and with Orchid Tapes and I think it really boils down to what your values are as a label owner. Michael of Soft Speak is a saint, but it can be really tough to sustain that record and his values and Warren's differ only in where their profits are directed, but both want only what is best for the bands that they work with, which I think is what's most important. I personally might not spend $20 on a record, but that is just because I don't really value physical copies of music in that way. Some people will readily spend that kind of money on a record because that's what matters to them. This is all morally subjective and you shouldn't bash label owners for doing what is and is not "DIY" or how much they should charge or theoretically pit them against each other because they are all working towards a common goal. If you don't think the record is worth $20, don't spend $20 on it, but don't state your beliefs as being objective or as being from some higher moral ground.

I actually have now released a record with Soft Speak and with Orchid Tapes and I think it really boils down to what your values are as a label owner. Michael of Soft Speak is a saint, but it can be really tough to sustain that record and his values and Warren's differ only in where their profits are directed, but both want only what is best for the bands that they work with, which I think is what's most important. I personally might not spend $20 on a record, but that is just because I don't really value physical copies of music in that way. Some people will readily spend that kind of money on a record because that's what matters to them. This is all morally subjective and you shouldn't bash label owners for doing what is and is not "DIY" or how much they should charge or theoretically pit them against each other because they are all working towards a common goal. If you don't think the record is worth $20, don't spend $20 on it, but don't state your beliefs as being objective or as being from some higher moral ground.

Dex bringin the knowledge, as expected

Also, stop bashing each other in general. It's super tiring to come here and every day see people yelling at one another over whatever they feel is important

Aside from all this bickering... Ladies and gentlemen... Orchid Tapes has officially joined VC

:)  :)  :)  :)

That's amazing that they do that and make it work, but when it comes down to it, we're a business and not a charity. For the goals that we have in mind (paying our artists and having enough money to do more / bigger releases and still making enough to live on modestly) that's obviously not a realistic or sustainable model. And like I said, both Brian and I are trying to make livings off our other creative efforts (which collectively occupies 100% of our time) so it's not like we're raking in big money on the side with Wall St. jobs or anything.

Anyways. I'm not here to further justify why we charge how much we do, I've tried to make it pretty clear, and I just wanted to come here to say thank you so anyone who chooses to support us and has helped us to get to where we are as a label. The exchange of money for the physical versions of music is an increasingly rare thing and we're blown away each and every time someone decides to pay for something we've put out. We're very humbled by the small successes we've come across and we hope we're graced by more good things in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure you will have no trouble trading your first press for a second press guys. you can always buy the second press and sell the first press at cost to someone who missed out as well. no reason to bother label with changing your order. this is not amazon.

"bother label?" this is the label's job to do customer service, which includes trading variants (if the orders haven't been packaged yet, obviously). I see zero reason this is an issue.

and therein lies the problem. this expectation of "customer service" from a couple of guys putting out records themselves as a side thing and not a big business who can devote their time and energy to fixing people's small problems. it bums me out so much seeing how people hold small labels like this to the same standards as amazon or best buy.

like, seriously, you can't see the difference?