Help setting up a turntable

Sorry guys, I'm new to vinyl. I have a few Mastodon and Municipal Waste records, and my dad just gave me his old JVC JL-F50 player. I know, it's crazy old, but it works. When I brought it up to my system and plugged it in, it wouldn't work. I have a Sony 400w 3 CD changer (MHC-GX450) and I plugged it into the AV plugs in the front and it was really quiet. I turned the volume all the way up on the Sony and the sound quality wasn't very good and it was still pretty quiet. I have used these plugs for an iPod and a Playstation before, so I know they work for those. And I listened to this record player in my Dad's office right before I moved it up to my room.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this won't work? Or what I need to get to make it work?

I've got a question kind of like this. If I buy a Ion USB turntable and plug it into my stereo will I need to buy a pre-amp?

"The Ion iTT USB turntable has a 3.5mm minijack socket for connecting a tape player - so you can transfer your tapes to your computer too. This USB turntable also has line level output for connecting to any home stereo with CD or auxiliary (AUX) inputs, and can be switched to phono level output for connection to a hi-fi with a traditional turntable input too."

very handy that it can do both aux input AND phono input on stereos!!!

Thank you everyone for your help!

Does anyone know anything about these preamps?

I found the ART DeeJay pre II for $51.99, and the Behringer Microphono PP400 Phono Preamp for $24.99. Is it worth paying double to get the ART pre? Will there be a noticiable difference? Or do you think I should go with the Behringer.

I found the ART DeeJay pre II for $51.99, and the Behringer Microphono PP400 Phono Preamp for $24.99. Is it worth paying double to get the ART pre? Will there be a noticiable difference? Or do you think I should go with the Behringer.

haven't heard of those two, but i bought one for around $40 and it tended to have quite a bit of 'noise' when playing / recording. really quite noticable fuzz - you could hear it really loudly in between songs. i personally would spend the extra cash to get a good one.

I have the Behringer PP400, and I have a fairly high end (budget) turntable, a Music Hall MMF-1. I think it sounds great. I run it thru a newer sony reciever and I get no distortion or noise. Unless you have a $1000 turntable running thru a $4000 stereo, I don't think your gonna hear a difference. On that note a tube preamp is the way to go. You can get a Bellari VP129 for around $250.