Coffee Collective

First and foremost....my city is finally getting a coffee shop using and selling Stumptown beans and I couldn't possibly be more excited about it....they're also trying to get the nitro cold brew on tap which will be really rad come summer. (Also might be working there, we shall see.)

Secondly I've come up with a pretty rad system for french press that requires some extra thought and time but is totally worth it in the end.

I use the Stumptown guide for french press and realized that the water out of my faucet wasn't really hot enough for warming up my french press, plus putting unfiltered water in my vessel just kind of bummed me out. In addition to that, if you let your coffee sit in the French press after you pour off your first cup it's usually cool and sludgy and stout by the time you're finishing up. How to cure all of this?

Use your autodrip machine.

I fill up the water reservoir with filtered water and run it through the my autodrip while heating up filtered water in a kettle. So you have hot hot water in the carafe of your autodrip to warm your French press with and you can immediately discard without worry, use a kitchen towel to wipe out both the carafe and French press. Start your brew in your French press using whatever method you use and when you finish brewing pour your French pressed coffee into the carafe of your autodrip to keep it piping hot without it getting sludgy and strong.

Enjoy!

I fill up the water reservoir with filtered water and run it through the my autodrip while heating up filtered water in a kettle. So you have hot hot water in the carafe of your autodrip to warm your French press with and you can immediately discard without worry, use a kitchen towel to wipe out both the carafe and French press. Start your brew in your French press using whatever method you use and when you finish brewing pour your French pressed coffee into the carafe of your autodrip to keep it piping hot without it getting sludgy and strong.

A Stanley thermos does the trick too :)

Hey everyone. I wanted to introduce myself in this thread. I've been working in the specialty coffee industry for a few years and work for an SF based roaster. I can definitely help answer any and all coffee questions: general info, sourcing, roasting, brewing, espresso, etc. If anyone here is ever interested in going to a coffee cupping in SF send me a PM and I can set something up. I haven't dug through the previous pages of this thread, but I'm stoked it exists. 

Question to the thread: what are you guys currently drinking and how are you brewing it?

A friend just dropped off a a sample of some Honduran coffee and I've been brewing it a chemex at home.

I've been drinking Mocha Java lately and I think it's great. Grind my own beans.

I have those drip coffee makers. Will eventually get a French press.

I do have one question for anyone that can help:

Should my beans be in a room temperature spot? Because I have them in my room since that's where I make my coffee and it's always cold in here, so I was wondering.

My tap water gets hot enough to pre-heat mine to prevent the boiled water from cracking it but are you doing it to keep the coffee hot? I can't really drink super hot coffee so the French press is great for me. Sometimes I even forget it for more than 10 minutes but at least it's still warm. Want to try the Aeropress eventually. It seems to work the way I think most people imagine the French press works.

My tap water gets hot enough to pre-heat mine to prevent the boiled water from cracking it but are you doing it to keep the coffee hot? I can't really drink super hot coffee so the French press is great for me. Sometimes I even forget it for more than 10 minutes but at least it's still warm. Want to try the Aeropress eventually. It seems to work the way I think most people imagine the French press works.

I've got an Aeropress and a French press and prefer the Aeropress easily.

I'm not surprised after seeing the comparison videos on youtube. Love my little Bodum but look forward to checking out an Aeropress maybe later this year. I don't like the idea of the paper filters absorbing the oils so I would put a metal screen in it too. Do any of you use a metal screen or do you just use the paper ones?

I don't have a thermos, I do have a mr coffee autodrip machine already, so I'm using the autodrip double duty aaaaad I can put filtered water in it so I'm never using tap water in my french press at all

Also, I drink my hot coffee black......I'll often keep a carafe of cold-brewed coffee in the fridge and add it into my cup of autodrip to cool it down for immediate consumption since I don't add creamer....also makes for a stronger cup of coffee

.I'll often keep a carafe of cold-brewed coffee in the fridge and add it into my cup of autodrip to cool it down for immediate consumption since I don't add creamer....also makes for a stronger cup of coffee

How do you make your cold brew? I have a cold bruer from a Kickstarter. It works fairly well, but sometimes the brew is really weak if the beans and/or grind aren't just right. I also bought this Brewover on there, which I'll get in a few months.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brewover/brewover-20-coffee-system

I use a french press, a hand cranked burr grinder for the beans (took about a month of trial and error to get a grind size and amount I felt worked well), and filtered water....

Grind beans, fill with cold filtered water, and refrigerate for 24-48 hours, press it, pour it off into a carafe

First and foremost....my city is finally getting a coffee shop using and selling Stumptown beans and I couldn't possibly be more excited about it....they're also trying to get the nitro cold brew on tap which will be really rad come summer. (Also might be working there, we shall see.)

Id recommend Revelator in Birmingham. They should be roasting on site if I'm not mistaken.

Finally bought myself another French Press and burr grinder to keep in my office. The coffee at work sucks but the machine has a hot water valve so it's perfectly convenient for me to have my own yummy coffee anytime I please.

A burr grinder makes quite a difference.  Well worth the money if you ask me.  I keep meaning to get another French press and an electric water boiler for my office.  We have a Keurig, which is tolerable, but I know I could be drinking much better coffee with minimal effort.

Id recommend Revelator in Birmingham. They should be roasting on site if I'm not mistaken.

They are, as well as Octane, FinerGrind, RedBicycle, HigherGround and a few others......none of which offer Nitro cold-brew on draught though

Oddly enough I had a conversation with someone last night who is interested in helping roast with revelator

They are, as well as Octane, FinerGrind, RedBicycle, HigherGround and a few others......none of which offer Nitro cold-brew on draught though

Oddly enough I had a conversation with someone last night who is interested in helping roast with revelator

Ah word. Well if you are in New Orleans come to where I roast, French Truck Coffee, and have some of our nitro cold brew!

A burr grinder makes quite a difference. Well worth the money if you ask me. I keep meaning to get another French press and an electric water boiler for my office. We have a Keurig, which is tolerable, but I know I could be drinking much better coffee with minimal effort.

Agreed. I used my Amazon Rewards points so it was all basically free (use that as my work credit card so I had a lot of points). Not sure if I'm sold on how hot the water is coming out of the hot water dispenser thing on the office coffee pot so I may also have to go the electric kettle route to get a little more heat.