PO: The Flaming Lips-With A Little Help From My Fwends

91mU1nLTUjL._SL1425_.jpg

Quite the price! I'm going to say the artist/illustrators prints cost about the same alone though. 

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Help-My-Fwends/dp/B00KE3B82W/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1400717502&sr=1-1&keywords=with+a+little+help+from+my+fwends

38$ from Amazon :( But that artwork by Oliver Hibert is BADASS

Please post any news about special variants. I know New Fumes is always getting a call from Wayne about these sort of things

There were huge rumors that Tame Impala would indeed be on this record but they declined Wayne

1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"    
2. "With a Little Help from My Friends"    
3. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds(featuring Miley Cyrus and Moby) 5:47
4. "Getting Better"    
5. "Fixing a Hole"   3:55
6. "She's Leaving Home"    
7. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"    
8. "Within You Without You"    
9. "When I'm Sixty-Four"    
10. "Lovely Rita"    
11. "Good Morning Good Morning"    
12. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"    
13. "A Day in the Life"  

Any other PO's up? Maybe with a little more pressing info?

Guesses:

Best: Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite. I see Flaming Lips doing this really well with a proper amount of humor and whimsy.

Runner-Up: Fixing A Hole, or maybe Lovely Rita

The Song Everyone's Going To Rave About Even Though It's Not That Great: Within You WIthout You. 

Worst: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. That sounds like a clusterfuck.

As good as this can be, I don't need a $40 cover album when I have an original mono pressing by the greatest band. 

Dr Teeth and The Electric Mayhem Band covered "Sgt Pepper"and released it on mono vinyl??

I mean, that is who you're referring to when you say "greatest band", right?

will they have an official PO for this?... amazon is cool for free ship and shit but since im in canada i have to pay shipping anyway

I'm pretty sure Wayne will hook up with New Fumes (the guy who did the Tame Impala/Stone Roses/First EP repress vinyl color) for this... at least for a limited run.

I'd say keep your eyes peeled it should pop up on www.amazon.ca eventually!

Question: How are they allowed to sell this cover?

Same way everyone who's ever done a cover song has been legally allowed to sell it. A mechanical license (the type of license needed to legally manufacture/distribute a recording of someone's composition) may be granted to anyone who pays a fee of 9.1 cents per song per copy manufactured and sold. This is generally done through a rights management firm like Harry Fox Agency, who have a very streamlined process for the whole thing. This is a compulsory license, meaning the composer cannot refuse to grant it and doesn't even have to be notified that it's happening.

In this case: Flaming Lips license the 13 compositions on Sgt. Pepper's at a cost of $1.183 per album, times however many copies they are making, let's say 5000 (I don't know how digital licensing works, but let's pretend it's physical-only) for a total cost of $5915. This money goes into the Lennon/McCartney fund (minus 1/13 to George's estate for "Within You Without You") and Paul & Yoko don't ever have to know about it unless they choose to investigate why there's a tiny boost in their boat funds that quarter, since that payout includes every sale of every Lennon/McCartney composition, including the original recordings by The Beatles.