Brand New - Deja Entendu

this is dumb as shit. I almost want nothing to do with this and just to get the regular reissue. The only thing stopping me from putting this up on eBay is that I'll have nothing to show for that stupid ordeal lolol.

Honest criticisms:

The paper bags are not conducive to actually listening to a record. I'm going to have to devise some sort of way to slip everything into an outer sleeve that keeps everything together and makes everything accessible.

The records have to go in new inner sleeves. The black ones are very heavy duty and look exceptionally nice, as nice as black matte can anyhow. But they're way too fucking tight. Like, unusable tight. But these are all going in frames anyway sooo

Records straight out of the package are f i l t h y. Have not cleaned or played yet. Not the worst new vinyl I've seen but close to it.

Looks like your basic Gz tech DMM cut, ie. zero effort in mastering, not excited to find out (haven't listened yet, with my luck I guarantee you I got two A/B sides too)

Die cut looooks duuuuuuuuuuumb. This really should have been printed on the inners, and properly scaled. But that would make too much sense. I agree with the thought that the bag was a coverup hahah

The inserts were damaged, not that I really care about a couple of stickers

Anyway, this could have been so much more for the RSD first release. Such a lost opportunity. Special colored variants, autographs, lossless downloads, demos, an actual legitimate remastering… anything

But hey, paper bag.

My store had something like 40 copies, but you weren't getting one if you got there after 3AM. There were easily a few hundred people queued up but none of us knew if they had more than one until it was confirmed before opening. Pretty much everyone at the front of the line was there for this. The way it was handled was that prior to opening, they went down the line giving people a ticket just for this - the idea being that there wouldn't be a mad rush or riot in the store. They were all behind the counter waiting for you with your ticket when you check out, so that you could just make a mad dash into the store to browse and grab the "less desirable" releases first.

I ended up buying no other releases. I had a fairly large list of "maybes" and "must haves", and turns out with a complete lack of mastering details on a lot of the titles, and no desire to actually listen to some of the others, my list was whittled down pretty rapidly. My only other "must haves" were that Elvis 10" (none of the stores in my area got any, hit a brotha up if you can help out) and also that Paul McCartney Sweet Thrash 12" which I had no chance of getting, considering it was limited to 109 copies.

I felt bad about getting nothing else and decided to buy a glassjaw tee. It looks pretty rad. To be honest I'm more excited about the tee.

The preceding events transpired in front of local news cameras in a piece that could be aptly retitled "kids lose their mind over a paper bag."

See it and weep. #madeit

I found some 3xLP bags on Amazon a few months ago. You can buy as few as 5 or 10 I think.

I tried to search a couple things but couldn't find them. Can you hook me up with a link please? I have a few I'd like to bag up better. (Postal Service 3xLP Decemberists Live album) Right now, I kinda slipped two bags over each part of the cover so the spine is still exposed.  

for anyone who got this and isn't thrilled with the diecut/insert, i'm thinking about running a series of prints that would give some more life to the cover than an ill-fitting astronaut with a morbid color scheme.

OK, semi-serious Deja question;

I was hoping to put this record back in the paper bag and then into a polybag.

But it is clearly to big to do this, is there such a thing as a "slightly bigger" polybag lol?

Honestly what's the point of preserving the packaging if it's opened? Not that I think you should have kept it sealed, I just couldn't imagine someone like a toy collector opening up an action figure and then putting the discarded blister pack in a display case. Fold it up and put it in your junk drawer.

I don't know.. If a person spent a night and 40+ dollars for this, I do understand the wish to keep the packaging complete.. Also on the plus side, keeping the brown paper bag gives you the chance to hide this mad fucked up die cut forever.

Anyone else have an annoying click once per revolution during the intro of Tommy Gun? Mine does. Cleaned it with D4 fluid and brush, and carbon fiber brush. Still there. :angry:

Yep. Actually quite a bit of surface noise and clicks all over the records but it's especially annoying there.

There is also some weird quiet mid-pitched hum, maybe intermodulation distortion from a high pitched tone? I'm pretty sure it's a DMM cut so that could explain it.

All that said - I'm actually reaaally pleasanty surprised with the mastering. I'm almost positive it was "pre-mastered" and had a tweaked file sent over to get cut flat. But the cut is real good. Great seperation and the high end is super clean. (again, DMM) the album overall sounds more dynamic than I remember on CD - and miles better than any of the original pressings I've heard.

Just sucks that the pressing is such dookie.

Also, I also would rather keep the packaging complete ( I even kept the pull tab inside the bag)

I will probably separate the jacket from the bag so I don't have to actually open the bag to remove the jacket, but if anyone finds a suitable outer that is big enough to house both, please do let us know which. Preferably something resealable as I like those, but it'll probably be one of those slip on style ones.

Okay, now you're just being an asshole.

Hahahah I get it. I am usually pretty anal about this kind of thing but I'm the same way with hype stickers, even reciepts sometimes. I put that in there too. I also would've put the ticket that reserved my copy in the store if they let us keep that. It's just me at one extreme of caring about that thing, the other would tearing the whole thing off and putting it in the garbage. Whatevs.

Ill stop by my shop this week and let you know, thanks a bunch!

I am a fan of BN, but good lord listening to the idiots in line talk about Brand new is so fucking annoying.

As someone who goes alone to the shops, headphones were a must.

it seems we may live close, if one of your locals has the larger sleeve can you fill me in on where?

I'd be surprised if there were more than 2 in all of Toronto as well. 

Sonic Boom = 1

Kops Records on Queen = 1

i assume Rotate This would've had it but yeah so far can really only confirm the existence of 2 in Toronto.

Just over the border in Buffalo had 20 copies, and the earliest people lined up there was 5am--compared to the dude at Sonic Boom who got in line at 11pm the day before...the dude who got it at Kops was in line at 3am

Haha yep those were them. You must live close if you know what millpond is, where are you located?

And ya I will for sure if I find some.

awesome! thank you!

I live in Toronto now but i'm from Kitchener/Waterloo so head back there fairly often and scope out shops--plus this year it seems they were a better bet than Toronto when it came to Deja ha