MAN ADVICE v2.0

not offended by whether someone carries a phone or not. Offended (if that's the right term) at being accused of being a dick for questioning motivation to do so.

Of all the quibbling that goes on on Internet message boards, I don't think this is at the "let it go already" point. I'm prettying much done though.

I feel for you Lebowski. I think Lebowski was honestly curious about why someone would want to go without a cell phone for an entire year. Maybe they have a landline and don't need it, or they dislike the distraction it brings? For the number of reasons that someone wouldn't want one for a year or any specific timeline, he seemed genuinely curious. Maybe there is something behind the reasoning that would benefit others? Especially since cell phones are required for many people these days, it just seems strange that someone would proclaim to go without one for a specific timeline without having some type of motivation behind it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think people got huffy when the 'are you trying to prove something' was immediately asserted into the convo. Maybe the dude just doesn't have the money for a cell phone.

Anyway, where are all the man problems?????

Forums are tricky because there is no intonation. What could be a benign question that was perhaps phrased a bit awkwardly, or hastily, is seen as overly-aggressive. I'll admit, I'm genuinely curious as to why someone would forgo a cell phone in 2015. 

Neither here nor there really but I'm bored at work so there is my two cents, late and irrelevant, as usual. 

I take a lot of things you say the wrong way Jefferson, both you and lebowski are not one to mince words and I think sometimes people get offended by something you say when it was really just an innocent comment.

Oh, I'm aware! I'm not really mean or angry in the real world, but if you don't hear my "voice" my sarcasm can seem pretty mean-spirited on here. At least, I think that is true. In my head most everything is friendly banter, but I'm probably lucky if even half of it seems that way to everyone else. 

I'm not great at internet. 

This makes me think you haven't really read any of Jacob's posts.

hold up what posts do I make that wouldn't make me a stand up person?  I know people have serious disagreements with me re: ferguson, but call me out right now please, I would like to know what I do that doesn't make me all right.  Maybe I'm missing something important and I can learn from it to be a better human.

I just have strong opinions about almost anyone who posts in the desensitizer thread. You do your thing, but when you feel the need to post about your sexual exploits and shame women on the Internet, you immediately lose any kind of respect I might have had for you.

Serious questions:

Does telling a story or sharing an experience that involves a sexual partner, online, automatically make it a sexual "exploit" or shaming said women? Do you think it's just wrong to share an anon story about another partner if it's detailed or graphic?  Does the nature of the sexual acts make the story worse than a story posted in this thread, where a guy or girl acted 'weird / cling' or someone went on a date with a stranger from tinder and had a horrible experience at dinner and posted the story?

Is there a line that should be drawn?

Serious questions:

Does telling a story or sharing an experience that involves a sexual partner, online, automatically make it a sexual "exploit" or shaming said women? Do you think it's just wrong to share an anon story about another partner if it's detailed or graphic?  Does the nature of the sexual acts make the story worse than a story posted in this thread, where a guy or girl acted 'weird / cling' or someone went on a date with a stranger from tinder and had a horrible experience at dinner and posted the story?

Is there a line that should be drawn?

Out of respect to people I date, I honestly draw the line at talking about them at all. But that is just me. I suppose it is relative, but from reading what you and other people have posted, I just know that isn't something I would do or say about a guy I was dating whether it was a one night stand or a legitimate relationship. 

BUT HEY THAT'S JUST ME

Just like with the boobies thread.. No one is being slut shamed. No one is being exploited. No one is being objectified. Not personally.

We are discussing willing participants in an anonymous manner, where nothing we say or post could realistically get back to or affect that person. It's not getting to their Facebook walls, or back to their families and bosses. It's all an exaggerated pissing contest among some guys looking to have the kind of laughs that 3rd graders share.

It's all an exaggerated pissing contest among some guys looking to have the kind of laughs that 3rd graders share.

To me it doesn't matter if their name is connected to the post. For people to post about people they have had intimate encounters in the way that some of the guys do on this thread is embarrassing and degrading. If I were the person and I saw what one of these guys wrote it WOULD be in fact DEGRADING. 

But the truth of the matter is, I am pretty positive that you all have made most of these stories up. So, though sick and twisted, I suppose at that point it is just sad. Though, it doesn't make it any better that they are posting degrading stories about women, real or fictional, for a boost of self confidence from an online community. 

If you think I'm making up my stories, instead of losing respect for me like you said you have, why not feel pity for me since I'm clearly lonely, sick, twisted, and sad?

My stories are definitely embarrassing and I always laugh at them after because they are always so awkward at the time. I like to tell them cause they are true and they are humorous, but I don't think I insult or degrade the other people in my story.  I absolutely don't tell my stories for self confidence or giggles or the feeling of superiority.  I'm just very comfortable with my body and my experiences.

When someone laughs at any sort of story of this nature I don't think they are ever laughing at anyone.  It's the situation and the events and usually the awkwardness that is funny, not the actual people in the parties.

I don't post my stories anywhere but here, but I do completely understand how if one of them were to read the story they would be very upset. 

this post is rambled and I probably contradict myself in it and I don't even know how to reply to some things.

disclaimer: my stories are real, I don't exaggerate them.

The only confidence boost I've gotten from that thread is that my post about a stray poopy is hailed with hilarity.

Your standards just seem hyper-sensitive to me. How are the discussions any different than the "shit people say" or "shit on bands" threads? Just because those aren't sexually explicit? They're still a discussion where other people are unknowingly spoken of, except with a much more negative tone in each.

The only confidence boost I've gotten from that thread is that my post about a stray poopy is hailed with hilarity.

Your standards just seem hyper-sensitive to me. How are the discussions any different than the "shit people say" or "shit on bands" threads? Just because those aren't sexually explicit? They're still a discussion where other people are unknowingly spoken of, except with a much more negative tone in each.

Think what you want, but you will see I haven't posted in any of those threads, I don't believe. So... there you go.

Just like with the boobies thread.. No one is being slut shamed. No one is being exploited. No one is being objectified. Not personally.

We are discussing willing participants in an anonymous manner, where nothing we say or post could realistically get back to or affect that person. It's not getting to their Facebook walls, or back to their families and bosses. It's all an exaggerated pissing contest among some guys looking to have the kind of laughs that 3rd graders share.

This is a giant oxymoron. The literal point of the boob/ass thread is to expoit people (women) and strip them down to sexual objects. "Not personally" doesn't mean shit. Sexual exploitation has nothing to do with how personal it is. It's objectifying someone, plain and simple.

How are the discussions any different than the "shit people say" or "shit on bands" threads? Just because those aren't sexually explicit?

Yes. Yes, that's exactly it. That's the thing. The fact that you can state it but not understand it is terrifying.

This is a giant oxymoron. The literal point of the boob/ass thread is to expoit people (women) and strip them down to sexual objects. "Not personally" doesn't mean shit. Sexual exploitation has nothing to do with how personal it is. It's objectifying someone, plain and simple.

Yes. Yes, that's exactly it. That's the thing. The fact that you can state it but not understand it is terrifying.

EXACTLY. Thank you Ash.

It just seems like you're personally offended by fact that the guy doesn't have a cell phone. Who cares?

A+

This makes me think you haven't really read any of Jacob's posts.

Other than that last one, you're probably right. Whatever happened to mattsteelenj?  He used to post the most misogynistic bullshit.  He made everyone look good by comparison.

Props to all the ladies standing up for what's right on the last page. I personally hate the disensitizer thread, for this exact reason:

It's all an exaggerated pissing contest among some guys looking to have the kind of laughs that 3rd graders share.

It's just unfortunate that when Wesley wrote that it reads like something he's proud of...