MAN ADVICE v2.0

Off topic and not helpful but I love the majority of those shows especially IT crowd and Gavin and Stacey. Don't let the memories ruin those shows because they are too good !! :(

(Also, watch Misfits !!)

I really need to check out Misfits!  I've heard a lot about that and Inbetweeners, but have never checked them out.

Gavin and Stacey was one of "our shows" so it will always be tainted with her memory. GAAAVLAAAAAARRRR!

I know that one day these memories will be distant and gradually lose their weight, and those will be the days when I can fully enjoy all the media from this era.  It may take a long while until they aren't shadowed by bittersweet reminders of what I had, but this too shall pass.  Time heals all wounds.  They may leave scars, but those wounds heal.

I think there's something wrong with me (or at least my perspectives), because I've never found this to be the case. The whole "it's better to have loved and lost..." expression is lost on me. Maybe I dwell too long, but I all too often wish I could substitute good memories to erase the suffering. I don't know.

Agreed. I would rather have never loved at all than to have loved & lost. That loss stays with you for a long time. The love moments generally fade quickly & are replaced with anger/hate/despair. And the pain of loss far outweighs the past feelings of love. If you never loved, you won't know what you're missing. And you never have to deal with the gut-wrenching pain of losing someone you cared deeply for.

The pain sucks, sure, and this is coming from someone who is in the throes of it right now - but I can honestly say that it's worth it.  As Butters puts it "I'm sad, but at the same time I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like, it makes me feel alive, you know?"  Knowing that you're capable of extending that love and feeling those highs at the cost of despair and feeling those lows is worth it in the long run.  I would rather go through this all over again if I could taste the depths of what love has to offer, than just meander through life complacently alone.  But I'm a hopeless romantic and a glutton for punishment.  :wub:

when I broke up with my first serious gf, we shared a lot of the same music/tv/film tastes and when we split I figured it would ruin them forever. but, well, it doesn't.

you'll have the memories of past loves regardless of what art you both liked at that time in your lives - now the stuff that held a lot of the memories for me still has meaning, but in a different way.

edit: plus there are loads more British comedies you could watch, haha

Throw me some recommendations!  I wanna get a million memories to forget her - and watching new comedies is a great way to fill that quota.  :D

On another note, I can honestly say that having my still-beating heart torn out of my chest has really motivated me in so many endeavors.  I have started doing things that I always put off because I was so complacent just sitting at home with my ex.  I took to the stage to do standup comedy (it's a drug now), I formed/joined two bands (and recorded an album's worth of material!), I started writing a lot (short fiction, poetry, lyrics, prose), and I have really pushed myself deep into my work and hobbies/interests.  I really look forward to what the future holds.

Maybe I'll meet that hipster qtπ who matches me in every way... but even if not, I'll become a better person in the meantime.  Just gotta keep watering this garden and when the right girl comes along, she might like what's growing.  If she stomps out these rose bushes, they'll grow back.  They always do.

On another note, I can honestly say that having my still-beating heart torn out of my chest has really motivated me in so many endeavors.  I have started doing things that I always put off because I was so complacent just sitting at home with my ex.  I took to the stage to do standup comedy (it's a drug now), I formed/joined two bands (and recorded an album's worth of material!), I started writing a lot (short fiction, poetry, lyrics, prose), and I have really pushed myself deep into my work and hobbies/interests.  I really look forward to what the future holds.

That's the fucking spirit.

Maybe it's to occupy the suddenly open free time, or maybe it's because I'm single and feel the need to improve upon myself for future (potential) love-interests. Hell, it could even be me fueled by the mentality of "you left me? Your loss" – any way you want to cut it, I find myself very proactive when I'm piecing myself together post-relationship. I find that I clean and organize a lot, get into a dedicated workout regime, update some attire, and push some of my social comfort zones to meet new people and try new things. I encourage anything beneficial that you can embrace from a shitty split, and it sounds like you're definitely doing it right, record_junkie.

This. Maybe I'm a masochist, but real, substantial sadness is an essential part of life for me. 

I would much rather go through the motions of the highs and lows than wade around in contentment forever.

4-Garden-State-quotes.gif

I wish I was like this.  I've lived in that emotionless state of contentment for so long that I've forgotten what it's like to be able to let your emotions take over.  I don't recommend it.  I'm not an emotionless monster, but I also don't have any of that fire anymore and it sucks.

The most emotional I get is when listening to others who are in touch with emotions because it makes me realize what I'm missing out on.  Eh, it's my own fault for letting my own bit o' crazy run roughshod for to long.

Throw me some recommendations!  I wanna get a million memories to forget her - and watching new comedies is a great way to fill that quota.  :D

That is incredibly cool !! I love everything about this show and I also want to know what other British comedies you watch B)

I like Gavin and Stacey too but a lot of it hits a little too close to home for me, haha - the stuff in Wales and especially the stuff on Barry Island (just a few miles from me). Actually if you go to Barry Island, it's full of photos and signs and merchandise of Nessa and Stacey.

Other very worthwhile British comedies (sorry if I've repeated stuff that's already been said):

Classics:

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder

Others

Monkey Dust

Snuff Box (highly recommended if you like Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher from The Mighty Boosh, weird dark surreal sketches/sitcom)

Peep Show

Personal favourites:

Father Ted

The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer/Bang Bang it's Reeves and Mortimer/Shooting Stars

Catterick

Spaced

I like Gavin and Stacey too but a lot of it hits a little too close to home for me, haha - the stuff in Wales and especially the stuff on Barry Island (just a few miles from me). Actually if you go to Barry Island, it's full of photos and signs and merchandise of Nessa and Stacey.

Other very worthwhile British comedies (sorry if I've repeated stuff that's already been said):

Classics:

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder

Others

Monkey Dust

Snuff Box (highly recommended if you like Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher from The Mighty Boosh, weird dark surreal sketches/sitcom)

Peep Show

Personal favourites:

Father Ted

The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer/Bang Bang it's Reeves and Mortimer/Shooting Stars

Catterick

Spaced

I would love to visit Barry Island !!! One day I'm going to leave America !!

Thanks for all the recommendations ! Record_junkie, try and watch some of these and create new memories.

record_junkie, watch Snuff Box as there's one sketch that I think you'll enjoy given the situation.

If there's a VC exchange programme, I am into that

Yes, let's switch places and you can live in Oklahoma for a month and I'll live wherever you are for a month and then one of us will be really bored (not me, haha)

I wish I was like this.  I've lived in that emotionless state of contentment for so long that I've forgotten what it's like to be able to let your emotions take over.  I don't recommend it.  I'm not an emotionless monster, but I also don't have any of that fire anymore and it sucks.

It's a lot easier to fall into complacency, and I've definitely found that to be the case as I get older. I'm not a fan of it, and I'm trying to stay conscious of it as of late. 

I envy my younger self that felt everything, and everything had meaning. Naive, but definitely made for some seriously awesome introspection.

The girl I have been seeing for a couple months was married before. She's Albanian and was born with a really long, tough to pronounce name. After the divorce, she kept her ex husbands shorter American name.

Doesn't bug me but I guess some of her girlfriends have given her shit about it. Would you care? Just wondering what some other opinions are.

The girl I have been seeing for a couple months was married before. She's Albanian and was born with a really long, tough to pronounce name. After the divorce, she kept her ex husbands shorter American name.

Doesn't bug me but I guess some of her girlfriends have given her shit about it. Would you care? Just wondering what some other opinions are.

My first and last name are both Persian and very hard to spell or pronounce so I think if I ever got away from having such a hard last name, I would probably keep it that way too. Having to pronounce my name over and over gets very annoying really quick.

Classics:

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder

Others

Monkey Dust

Peep Show

Personal favourites:

Father Ted

Catterick

Spaced

Hell yes! There's a few in that list that I haven't seen yet, so I'll definitely be binging once my schedule finds a balance!

baggage. be warned.

Agreed, cholly. I would never avoid a divorced man. I'm dating one right now. If anything he's learned exactly what he wants, as we all do from our failed relationships.

I agree with Madie. Going through a divorce really made me focus on what it meant for me to be in a loving relationship. What specifically could I really tolerate vs not tolerate. Fortunately, this made the dating process a little more streamlined (once I got over the whole damn thing).

The woman I'm with now is also divorced and essentially went through the same process. Honestly, I think it's because of that we are both super happy with each other and are pretty much streamlining this relationship. It's only been 2 months so I guess the honeymoon period is still going on, but the most important thing is that it just feels super natural. Before I was always a little hesitant to get involved with a divorcee but that was just the taboo part of it. 

they have baggage in varying degrees. especially ones that keep the last name of their ex.

i'm not advocating they be shunned, just saying to proceed with the knowledge that there are issues of which you aren't aware.

This is ridiculous. What are you even talking about? Why does it matter at all if someone chooses to change their name or not?