The ongoing adventures of biodigitaljazz's cartridge

I've bumped my cartridge a fair time or two, but... well...

P7Ls6uAl.jpg

Never mind how it even happened, I'm beyond devastated, and past any criticism to come my way for this. I've googled a bit about replacing the cartridge on the Debut Carbon but found nothing. The thing needed an alignment anyway but I live in the middle of batshit nowhere, where the closest shop with anyone with any kind of knowledge is over 100 miles away.  I obviously need a replacement cartridge but I barely trust my big clumsy hands to install it, much less align it. Should I get the same one or an upgrade?

Please help me, VC. What can I do? 

You actually don't have to replace the whole cartridge, it's quite easy to replace just the stylus on those, if you were happy with its performance. The red plastic part that the stylus is attached to will literally slide right out and you can just slide a new one in. Shouldn't even have to realign it if it's all stock (unless you messed with the alignment to offset the bend like you were talking about in the other thread). The whole 2M series uses the same body, so you could even upgrade to the blue or the bronze if you wanted to. Although with your track record I'm not sure that's the best idea....

Here's a link to the red:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-2M-Red-Stylus?sc=7&category=974

You can find all the 2M stylii on that site.

Wow that is pretty bent, in fact it looks snapped, is that after you tried to straighten it? or how damaged it was before you started the other thread?

the only way forward with that is a new stylus as yanquiuxo says.

They are easy to replace but you might want to ask someone with a steadier hand to do the actual replacement for you

Thanks for the help Yanquis and Allen.

Didn't try to fix anything allen, was just changing records and my hand went under and bumped it. Idk who I'd have replace it for me besides me. Does it just snap on?

Ok had me worried there as you said you had been playing records.

Bad luck either way, In my house we can't be trusted with skeleton cartridges (the ones where the cantilever just sticks out as there is no body). My wife bust one whilst dusting which I took the piss out of her mercilessly for, until I whilst having had the odd small drink broke it's replacement.

Yes it does just snap on so try taking off and refitting the old broken one a few times before you change it for real, that way you can get your confidence back up.

Breaking a cantilever is quite high up on the official list of high level fuck's along with "Watch him he'll have some fuckers eye out with that" King Harold Hastings 1066 and "What Fucking Iceberg?" Captain Edward. J Smith Somewhere in the Northern Atlantic 1912

I have to add the one my wife broke was a Sumiko BPS, a nice cartridge and quite expensive but past it's best luckily and the look on her face which was something like a guilty puppy sitting next to a pile of poo mean't I couldn't really have a go at her.

Accidents and mistakes happen although it did warrant quite a few comments any time she went near a turntable right up until I managed to bust the next one which luckily for my wallet wasn't as expensive or a nude cartridge which I suppose makes it worse, and obviously the well deserved reciprocal piss taking I received was worse than the damage or cost.

Two morals really, metaphorically speaking never take the piss out of someone for missing the toilet until you have checked your own shoes and don't make any sort of adjustments to fragile equipment when your powers of motive dexterity and confidence have been taken in opposite directions with the application of alcohol.

Great posts by everyone in here. I found the replacements. I was pretty satisfied with the Red, but you know what they say, that you're usually satisfied until you hear something better with your own ears. Now it's just a decision between the red and blue.

I noticed Yanqui kind of referenced one of my other posts which was kind of good to hear. No, I didn't try to pull the (then minor) bend back by adjusting anti-skate, I'd just left it because it still sounded pretty good. Until this happened.

Does it just snap on?

It doesn't really "snap" as I said you can just grab the red part that the stylus is attached to and pull it straight out (while obviously avoiding touching the stylus). You don't need to unscrew anything or unplug any wires, just pull the red plastic part and it will slide out. Then you can slide the replacement one in when you get it.

Thanks for the help Yanquis and Allen.

Didn't try to fix anything allen, was just changing records and my hand went under and bumped it. Idk who I'd have replace it for me besides me. Does it just snap on?

You know, you have an already F-ed stylus that you can practice removing / attaching to the cartridge a thousand times over and not have to worry about screwing it up.  I suggest you start practicing, and when your new stylus arrives, you'll be an expert.

Me too.

i get it, though, I just don't understand why it happens so much.

As vinyl gets more and more popular we are seeing more and more examples of why people didn't like vinyl when it was popular/the only choice. Care and maintenance of both the media and the playback equipment was a big reason. It's not only time consuming, but expensive to keep and play vinyl records problem free.

It's just a shame that due to poor mastering a lot digital versions of popular music sound like ass.

expensive to keep and play vinyl records problem free.

:(

It hurts to drop hard earned money on an album you have digitally already. If it sounds like poop, it adds insult to injury. I added a record to my collection recently from an indie band I'd met a year or two ago. Beautiful package and records, and sounds like 192kbps. No dynamics. But expense is the most difficult part of it today I think.