Disc Makers reopens vinyl pressing plant

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/us-maufacturer-disc-makers-re-opens-vinyl-pressing-plant-for-independent-musicians/

This could very possibly be a game changer for vinyl production.  Some of the options are limited, but my goodness.  This will be interesting to see what this turns into. 

http://www.discmakers.com/products/vinyl.asp

Looks like you can get 200 for about $2K.

I wonder what happens if you need a double disc though...

300 is <$1800 shipped (using their online guide), thats with bare bones jackets and white paper sleeves.  im sure the printable extras wont see much reduction in price with greater vinyl production capacity.  at the very least this provides another press to help handle the demand.  i love it!

double disc probably add $1.50-$2.00 per unit plus the cost of the prep i guess another $700 for a run of 300?  just ballparking, no idea really

Disc Makers was always one of the most expensive options for manufacturing, whether it was vinyl, CD's or whatever. It's great that there is enough interest for them to get back in the game, but they were never an indie friendly option.

I agree with this.  A lot of prices seem comparable to what is out there now, with with 50 day wait times or less, which is super awesome with the way some of these pre-orders have been going this year.  Usually they are quite above and beyond price wise, so it's a breath of fresh air to see them doing standard pricing without gouging just because "demand" is back.

Disc Makers was always one of the most expensive options for manufacturing, whether it was vinyl, CD's or whatever. It's great that there is enough interest for them to get back in the game, but they were never an indie friendly option.

To this, was it because of quality and care that they are/were a bit costly?

I never thought that they were super high quality, better than United was back in the 90's but certainly not audiophile quality or anything. I always put the prices down to the fact that they spent a ton on marketing and promotional stuff. If you wrote them for info back in the day they sent out really nice promo packages, all glossy 4 color printing and everything. Good for impressing people who weren't on a punk rock budget for sure.

This may get me crucified here, but wouldn't sticking to black vinyl increase production time and quantity?

probably but i dont think you could succeed in this market without offering some novelty options especially as you are trying to restart production and cater to the "indie" crowd.  however, short runs on black are totally reasonable, i think.

probably but i dont think you could succeed in this market without offering some novelty options especially as you are trying to restart production and cater to the "indie" crowd.  however, short runs on black are totally reasonable, i think.

You may be right about this, but I disagree. There are plenty of us out there who don't care about color or novelty. I'd rather have a plain record for $12, than a record plus some bullshit poster for $20. A lot of people shop at distros, stores, flea markets or shows that don't even know about that special limited version. Color means nothing to me, I don't purchase based on color or any extras. I purchase because I like the music. Press all records on black, fine by me. Actually, to all labels...please do this. 

You may be right about this, but I disagree. There are plenty of us out there who don't care about color or novelty. I'd rather have a plain record for $12, than a record plus some bullshit poster for $20. A lot of people shop at distros, stores, flea markets or shows that don't even know about that special limited version. Color means nothing to me, I don't purchase based on color or any extras. I purchase because I like the music. Press all records on black, fine by me. Actually, to all labels...please do this. 

not really what i was arguing.  i dont think anyone really wants a poster.  but a really nice looking color press or something to distinguish 2nd press from 3rd press, etc.  thats why you should do color.  it shouldnt cost substantially more

It's a ruse.  Despite the articles saying they got their presses back online, if you watch the video and watch a video of Gotta Groove in Cleveland it's the same place.  The girl in the Cleveland Indians shirt was a hint but the large Gotta Groove logo in the background was the clincher for me.  It's a metal disc above two doors that are next to a refridgerator and are probably the most identifiable thing if you compare this video to any videos of inside Gotta Groove.  It's pretty shady in my opinion and just a way to get press.  Brokers start everyday they just don't make up elaborate tales of getting old presses back online.  Those presses have been online for years.

they claim they bought all the old equipment for pressing vinyl so this would suggest they will be participating in the pressing process

I watched the video again and they just heavilly imply that they did that and the rest was added by the publications who posted the videos.  I prefer honesty or at least vagueness and honesty when asked but they're bordering on outright lying here.