(FFO: Brambles, Goldmund, The Tumbled Sea) PO/Crowdfunding: Nest - Retold

Five years on from its first release, you now have the chance to own Nest’s Retold on vinyl.

Over the years, lots of people have contacted me with kind words about the music and many have asked for a vinyl edition. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, but I’ve been hesitant for a couple of reasons. Firstly - I tend to prioritise new releases. Although Serein is not a prolific label, there has been a steady stream of new music to keep me busy. Secondly, vinyl is expensive, much more expensive than pressing CDs. More need to be sold in order to break even and there’s always risk involved - I also have limited shelf space for anything I don’t sell!

Even for a release like Retold, which by all accounts did pretty well, I still worry about the financial outlay and having unsold stock to deal with. For this reason, I have decided to try something different with this release…

The photo you see above is a mockup and the release is not yet in production. This is effectively a pre-production, pre-order item - If I get enough sales, it will get made. It’s no different to crowdfunding using Kickstarter and the like, I’ve just chosen not to use a third-party. Using this ‘model’, if I get more sales than I expect, I can make the release more lavish and possibly throw in some extras; but let’s not get carried away; I have no idea what the response will be like. If by the 18th of July I don’t have enough orders to make this viable, your payment will be refunded in full.

At present, the specs for the release are as follows:

• Double LP on 140 gram vinyl - Audiophile DMM cut
  • ☆ TWO secret bonus tracks (new and unheard) exclusive to this edition ☆
  • Download code supplied with every order
  • New, original cover artwork
  • Matt laminated outer sleeve (the same high quality finish as all previous releases)
  • Wide 5mm Spine

The cost is £18.00 plus postage. Rather than sell this through Bandcamp and suffer their fees, purchases come direct to Serein via a simple PayPal order. Just be sure to select your region when purchasing.

Retold’ is an apt title for this body of work, at times light and serene, other times dark, brooding and sinister - Nest are expert storytellers. Taking cues from film soundtracks and contemporary classical music, the story is woven using a myriad of instrumentation. Dulcet piano tones are backed by string and horn arrangements, unidentifiable plucked instruments and the sound of the Welsh harp; often heavily processed, Retold is an album that has as much in common with experimental electronic music as it does with modern classical composition.

Nest is the collaborative project of Otto A Totland and Huw Roberts. The first six tracks on this album were originally released in 2007 on the eponymously titled Nest EP; they are presented here again having been remastered alongside five new pieces composed in 2009. A revised edition of the track ‘Cad Goddeu’ was created especially for this release.

It's definitely a lot cheaper for anyone in the UK/EU. For anyone in the US, that's quite a lot of money as it amounts to about 50$. Just posting this in hopes that at least some of you into this kind of music will latch onto this.

It is an amazing album and I imagine having the physical release to be worth the money. Serein has a great reputation with their packaging and have released some amazing albums in the past. This album is itself immensely beatiful and contemplative.

http://sereinlabel.bandcamp.com/album/retold

• 3 weeks later...

So the crowdfunding was successful and it'll go in print. Anyone who pre-orders before July 15 will receive the album on clear vinyl, which is limited according to the number of people who do so.

Looks like July 18th, actually.

Not that I need to be dropping any more large amounts of cash on clear, gorgeous ambient records - especially after the new AWVFTS pre-order - but I guess I'll check this out since time is of the essence.

Yea I really really want this but the tag just gets me! If we combine orders ya think we can save on shipping? Derek? Maybe we can order together? I'm in MI

Just wanted to get back to you on this; I listened to this last night.  And while it was definitely pleasant, there's no way it impressed me enough to shell out $50 (or even $40) for it.  I have no doubt that the packaging will be beautiful - that album art is to die for - but I just wasn't moved by it like I am with Tumbled Sea, Eluvium, Goldmund, etc.  Sorry to get your hopes up, but it's a pass for me.  If only money grew on trees.

No worries - I feel ya it's not a masterpiece, but I am a total sucker for albums like these on vinyl. Late night listening while I relax before bed is enhanced by albums like these!

Agreed.  I actually saved my listen for when it was nice and quiet in the early hours of the morning, where I had time to truly relax and appreciate the music.  (That's also the usual time and setting where I enjoy a lot of my favorite ambient and neo-classical artists.)  If I had no shortage of money, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  But with the amount of pre-orders and more pertinent releases on the horizon, $50 is just too steep.  I imagine it'll look and sound great, though, for whoever jumps on it.

That July 18 date helped me out. Went for it.

Next up: Brambles vinyl crowdfunding

Anyone that hasn't heard Charcoal by now better give it a listen because that album truly is a masterpiece.

http://sereinlabel.bandcamp.com/album/charcoal

I dig that Brambles record, but I feel like there a many albums just as good and better in there realm...its still great, not knocking at all! 

Check out Erik K. Skodvin new double album: Flame & Flare ( I think you will enjoy it! I posted a link way back for the vinyl which sold out in less than 12 hours! all sonic pieces records do! but they are a very solid ambient/experiment label very similar to Serein) 

• 4 weeks later...