PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt

Just watched the video from Letterman. Between that and the Vintage Vinyl show last Saturday, all I can say is that I think this band has finally reached a level of songwriting and performance where getting Alex L some vocal lessons would be a worthy investment. 

Just watched the video from Letterman. Between that and the Vintage Vinyl show last Saturday, all I can say is that I think this band has finally reached a level of songwriting and performance where getting Alex L some vocal lessons would be a worthy investment. 

Seriously. That is the single biggest issue holding them back as a live act: the lack of even serviceable backing vocals. In the studio Fallon does his own back-up so it's not as big of a deal. Kind of ironic that they brought in a third guitar player and he can't sing either. I've seen Dave Hause come out and sing back-up with them and hearing how good he harmonizes with Fallon really highlights the problem. 

Here's the video of the Vintage Vinyl show. Audio's kind of buried, but you get the idea. I like the record a lot and thought the songs came across really well live for the most part. I'm sure after a few more nights playing them out, they'll sound really awesome. A couple nice surprises in the set too. Definitely glad I made it to this one, especially since I can't bring myself to sit through seeing them at the other Jersey date on the tour. Hate that venue.

Seriously. That is the single biggest issue holding them back as a live act: the lack of even serviceable backing vocals. In the studio Fallon does his own back-up so it's not as big of a deal. Kind of ironic that they brought in a third guitar player and he can't sing either. I've seen Dave Hause come out and sing back-up with them and hearing how good he harmonizes with Fallon really highlights the problem. 

They should just add Dave into the mix permanently.... right everyone?

His songwriting bores me to tears (sorry), but definitely a killer voice. Even just a Brian Fallon/Dave Hause collaboration would be sweet.

agreed 100%. Much like many people don't understand the appeal of gaslight, i feel the same way about Hause. Aside from "Pray For Tuscon" (which is great), i can't get into the guy's music at all.

differentstrokes.jpg 

My fav period for them will always be from Sink-2010. When it felt like Eddie and the Cruisers had come back to life playing nightly at the boardwalk. Thats just how it is with me I guess. Cant get into this album at all.

I feel the same way. I don't hate it, but I definitely don't love it like I was hoping I would. I feel like Brian couldn't decide whether he wanted to write gaslight songs or Horrible Crowes songs with Get Hurt. Maybe it will eventually grow on me.

They really seem to make an easy job incredibly complicated ...

Hey everyone-

We're writing to give you an update on the status of the "GET HURT" vinyl LPs.

Unfortunately, we still have not received the vinyl from the pressing plant. We just recently received an email from them letting us know we will not be receiving our red/white splatter vinyl until mid-October.

While we were all set to start shipping the vinyl for the August 12th release date, several factors beyond our control contributed to this delay. The Gaslight Anthem's record label does not usually press splatter color vinyl so we had to go to an outside pressing plant. We had a company we usually work with (they pressed the 45 RPM Club 7" vinyl) ready to start pressing records but unfortunately, between extensive back and forth approval process emails between the plant and the record label, the time it took for the record label to approve the vinyl test pressings and several changes requested by the label throughout the process, the plant could no longer honor our requested delivery date. During those few weeks of delays mentioned above, the number of vinyl projects in their queue increased dramatically and unfortunately we were moved to the back of the line.

For those people who ordered the vinyl LP bundle, we shipped out the rest of the bundle ahead of the vinyl, since we weren't sure how long the delay would take and wanted to ensure you received something to show for your purchase. These items would normally be shipped separately from the vinyl anyway, since the record doesn't fit in the poster tube and the poster won't fit in the vinyl packaging without folding. Most of our customers prefer non-folded posters to hang on their wall.

Hopefully most of you received our email last week that contained your digital download copy of the record. If not, here is the download link again:

"GET HURT" DIGITAL DOWNLOAD

ALSO, to show our appreciation for your patience, we are offering you an additional 15% off anything in the The Gaslight Anthem store, including the all new "GET HURT" merch line we are preparing to launch next week. To take advantage of this offer, please enter coupon code "GETHURTVINYL" at checkout. This discount is valid until September 15th, so please be sure to take advantage before then!

We sincerely apologize for this delay and want you to know we're ready and waiting for the vinyl to arrive so we can start shipping immediately.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Infinite Merch

I understand delays happen, but October? Kind of horseshit. I can understand indie acts having delays because they typically have fewer resources to devote to getting everything straightened out, but a major label should really have their shit together so this doesn't happen.

Also says a lot about the pressing plant they used. Sure, it sounds like the label requested some changes, but the plant that pressed the retail version was sure able to get those out in time for the new release date, and I'm willing to bet that was a much larger order than the splatter.

I'd sure love to cancel and just go buy a (cheaper) retail copy, which I could have in my hands tomorrow, but the card I used has been cancelled, so I'm sure a refund is going to be a collasal PITA. Guess I'll just get a nice surprise on my doorstep in October.

The 15% coupon gesture is appreciated, but I doubt I'll use it.

The 15% coupon gesture is appreciated, but I doubt I'll use it.

I hate when companies give you a coupon as the result of something they failed to deliver.

The best way to get over the disappointment is to spend more money somewhere that I've had a negative experience? It's like saying, "we're sorry we screwed up, give us some more money while you're at it"

Which is exactly what happened with the fan club, right? "We know you're still waiting on the product we didn't deliver, but for double the price, you can sign up next year for the same quality service."

Deleted a longer rant because I didn't even order this so why bother. But it's a shame there isn't more of a value placed on the fans of this band. Not sure where that is coming from, but it's pretty obvious there's an issue here that needs to be sorted quickly. Can't think of many other major (or smaller) releases that consistently get so weird and messed up.

Brand New POs aside, of course.