PO: Ryan Adams - Self-Titled 9/9/14

TBY isn't full of assholes, it just has more people that are honest about Ryan. I've never understood RAA's Pollyanna attitude toward him. Maybe it was because he posted there.

Just look at my number of down votes.  I could be the biggest asshole on this board, so honest members of TBY certainly don't bother me.  I generally shy away with being "honest" about his music because I absolutely love that he's willing to jump ship, take risks, push boundaries and always try to move forward with his career.  RAA was obviously a more encouraging place to share those thoughts so that's kinda where I happened to fall and form internet relationships w/ other RA fans.

That said, I can't help but say something about the group of musicians he's currently touring with, mainly because I'm just not seeing a whole lot of talent here.

Haha why didn't I guess you're from RAA. Makes total sense. I forgot how riled up you sycophants can get over DRA and his music. Also explains the Deadhead "you haven't listened to the show recordings" argument. Used to love when posters from altcountry.org would register at RAA, mess with the crybabies, and get their IP addresses banned for life in a matter of minutes. Great times.

Also, fine if you don't like the band, but who are you to deem them unprofessional? Is that really a justified criticism? For instance, as much as I don't like Casal's awful music, I'd never call him unprofessional. Kind of a low blow, not that I'm surprised.

After seeing him a few times with the Cardinals and seeing his first show with this band I gotta say he (and the rest of the band) looks like they are having a lot more fun then any show with the Cardinals that I saw. Yeah maybe the solos arent as great as when Neal was doing them, and I do miss John, but this band behind him made me have a lot more fun at the show then I have ever had at a Ryan Adams show. The band interacted with each other during the show and the keyboardist and drummer were constant smiles and Ryan seemed to really be enjoying that.

As far as TBY goes, I have never seen a group of people that supposedly like an artist then shit on everything that they do, go against their wishes with leaks, do what they can to piss him off on twitter, shit on his wife to him, and then come back and brag about it with each other. Makes no fucking sense at all.

Haha why didn't I guess you're from RAA. Makes total sense. I forgot how riled up you sycophants can get over DRA and his music. Also explains the Deadhead "you haven't listened to the show recordings" argument. Used to love when posters from altcountry.org would register at RAA, mess with the crybabies, and get their IP addresses banned for life in a matter of minutes. Great times.

Also, fine if you don't like the band, but who are you to deem them unprofessional? Is that really a justified criticism? For instance, as much as I don't like Casal's awful music, I'd never call him unprofessional. Kind of a low blow, not that I'm surprised.

I'm not shocked in the slightest that you're lacking an ear for musical talent.    You ever pick up an instrument before?  I seriously question that.  It's obvious they have either rehearsed very little before the start of this tour and/or are just not very accomplished musicians to be backing a musician as high up in the food chain as Ryan is.

Actually I don't have that asshole attitude towards his music. Generally I'm a huge supporter of every single thing he does (even The Shit, Werewolph, you name it). I'm originally part of the RAA fluffer crowd and have stayed away from TBY for years mainly due to what you're accusing me of being. Since RAA has been down for a while I have turned to TBY, mainly for news and updates and such.

But let's be honest here, his new band is rough as shit. I mean the drummer sounds like he just graduated from a Fisher Price kit. They even admit this is like the bassist's 3rd ever concert performance and it definitely sounds like it. The backing vocals leave a ton to be desired. The 2nd guitarist and keyboardist are just OK.

Bottom line is I'm glad he's playing concerts with a band again but there is absolutely no way his new band is gonna make us long time RA fans forget about The Cardinals.

You just have that asshole attitude in general. Do you act like this to people in real life? I wouldn't be surprised. I wonder how your family puts up with you if so.

Edit: I don't know why I am in this "teeny bopper" thread and I'm not sure why I haven't blocked you yet. You suck (and to act like you, you have zero taste in music).

After seeing him a few times with the Cardinals and seeing his first show with this band I gotta say he (and the rest of the band) looks like they are having a lot more fun then any show with the Cardinals that I saw. Yeah maybe the solos arent as great as when Neal was doing them, and I do miss John, but this band behind him made me have a lot more fun at the show then I have ever had at a Ryan Adams show. The band interacted with each other during the show and the keyboardist and drummer were constant smiles and Ryan seemed to really be enjoying that.

As far as TBY goes, I have never seen a group of people that supposedly like an artist then shit on everything that they do, go against their wishes with leaks, do what they can to piss him off on twitter, shit on his wife to him, and then come back and brag about it with each other. Makes no fucking sense at all.

I enjoy learning the new songs through this recording.  The renditions of his staples are simply lackluster and that's putting it nicely.  They need a lot of work.

Well don't let facts stand in the way of your opinion.

You just have that asshole attitude in general. Do you act like this to people in real life? I wouldn't be surprised. I wonder how your family puts up with you if so.

Edit: I don't know why I am in this "teeny bopper" thread and I'm not sure why I haven't blocked you yet. You suck (and to act like you, you have zero taste in music).

Should I care that you want to block me?  Go right ahead.  First time I've ever noticed you post anyways (probably because I don't frequent the Blink 182 thread) so I'm really not gonna miss any of your whiny contributions.

Just to clear up a misconception about the ToBeYoung forum

First of all, those 3 JCN tracks were leaked by a .org poster. Rob at TBY had started the board and it had been barely going when he posted them. No one told him not to post them. But Lost Highway / Universal had a problem with them being posted and contacted the Feds. All of this happened in TBY's infancy (during an era where file sharing was rampant on any music oriented site). After that the board had a stiff policy of not posting recorded or possibly illegal material. No one is going around skirting laws and rules.

No one shits all over everything he does. The end of the cardinals era was not popular, and probably his books too. But most of his material is well regarded or highly praised at TBY. People did hassle Mandy Moore, but most of those people were brow beaten into not posting. To my knowledge no one dogs him on twitter. But to be fair, he's pretty bad at twitter

There have been a few terrible posters at TBY, but they end up getting banned. The reason TBY has it's reputation is that people are allowed to say whatever they want, even if it's unpopular (or wrong). Yes that means negative opinions continue to exist rather than being deleted by the mods. On the flip side, I've never understood having unconditional praise for an artist. Art isn't an "Everyone gets a trophy" . Some things are good and something's are bad. My perception of RAA was that it's say something nice or don't say anything at all. Which is fine. TBY is say whatever you want, and let the popular opinion win out. But if you troll, you are banned.

Just to clear up a misconception about the ToBeYoung forum

First of all, those 3 JCN tracks were leaked by a .org poster. Rob at TBY had started the board and it had been barely going when he posted them. No one told him not to post them. But Lost Highway / Universal had a problem with them being posted and contacted the Feds. All of this happened in TBY's infancy (during an era where file sharing was rampant on any music oriented site). After that the board had a stiff policy of not posting recorded or possibly illegal material. No one is going around skirting laws and rules.

No one shits all over everything he does. The end of the cardinals era was not popular, and probably his books too. But most of his material is well regarded or highly praised at TBY. People did hassle Mandy Moore, but most of those people were brow beaten into not posting. To my knowledge no one dogs him on twitter. But again, he's pretty bad at twitter

Thee have been a few terrible posters at TBY, but they end up getting banned. The reason TBY has it's reputation is that people are allowed to say whatever they want, even if it's unpopular (or wrong). Yes that means negative opinions continue to exist rather than being deleted by the mods. On the flip side, I've never understood having unconditional praise for an artist. Art isn't an "Everyone gets a trophy" . Some things are good and something's are bad. My perception of RAA was that it's say something nice or don't say anything at all. Which is fine. TBY is say whatever you want, and let the popular opinion win out. But if you troll, you are banned.

I think RAA is a bit different scenario since Joel was ultimately running the show there and was granted access (for a long time) to Ryan's SBD for recording purposes.  I certainly don't blame him for allowing material to be posted on there that would offend Ryan (since he would obviously lurk there from time to time).  RAAs show archives were an absolute treasure that I absolutely ravaged while it was still active.

No doubt. That database was fantastic. 

There were definitely some overboard fanboys on RAA, not gonna deny that.  Some shit was downright embarrassing at times too.  Though I think the general feeling over there by most was just trying to act in a manner that would help preserve the awesome gifts (recordings) that we were given by RA and Joel (and other tapers).  I met some great people through there too, that I still keep in touch with to this day.  Isolated incidents aside, both of these RA boards are probably given an unnecessary rap, TBH.

People srsly don't like Neal Casal? LOL.

Dude rules.

Wait, don't you know? He wrote all of Ryan's songs while he was a member of The Cardinals. He's also wrote all of Ashes & Fire, an album that isn't held in any higher regard than Cardinology or Easy Tiger. If the new S/T album sucks, you can blame Neal for that because he will have written that one too. God, some of you Neal fluffers don't know shit! :P

I don't understand Neal backlash, but I don't like his songs.

Freeway is the only one I like from him.  Didn't like the fact that they played it at every single show during the latter years of the Cardinals era but then again I don't like it when ANY song gets played at every single show.  That said, he's a very good guitarist, more than suffice as a backing vocal, more than held his own during difficult improvisational sections and DIDN'T write all of Ryan's fucking songs...  The dude is an actual musician who actually had/has a legitimate career before and after Ryan, not just one of his amateur hour weed buddies that he's currently touring with.