Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

On 5/22/2017 at 10:46 PM, batman said:

I was staying in Southwark, so it was a bit of a trek up to Victoria Park, but it was well worth it. I put on some slippers and hung around talking and listening to records for about 3 hours. I could've stayed there all day. 

Some pics from the Sound Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/ZT6Q9

Bottom right is Music For Falling From Trees by Peter Broderick 

This is so awesome. Thanks for the pictures, it's really neat to see inside and just makes me want to take a trip there even more. Were you able to just pick up whatever record and put it on or is there some sort of playlist they've got going on? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just fascinated by the concept and I love the label. 

Also, I wonder what came first, the metal sculpture or the Eternal Something artwork by Shaz Madani? 

3 hours ago, rabbitvinyl said:

This is so awesome. Thanks for the pictures, it's really neat to see inside and just makes me want to take a trip there even more. Were you able to just pick up whatever record and put it on or is there some sort of playlist they've got going on? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just fascinated by the concept and I love the label. 

Also, I wonder what came first, the metal sculpture or the Eternal Something artwork by Shaz Madani? 

Yeah pretty much. There was one guy working/hosting the shop. Could listen to whatever I wanted and he made some suggestions of stuff I hadn't heard before. He would put it on the turntable and adjust the volume, etc. We went through bits of about 15 different releases--some classics that I really just wanted to listen to in that space and some stuff that I'd never heard. They had a case with open copies of every release that you could listen to and they had the whole space setup with really nice omnidirectional speakers on both levels. Their office space was on the lower level along with a few pianos. They had new/unplayed copies to purchase in a drawer under the case of playable copies. Also a couple test pressings for sale, but nothing I was interested in. 

I assumed that the album art came first, but that metal piece is amazing. 

Hopefully you'll be able to visit. It's well worth it if you're ever anywhere close. 

7 hours ago, jackshidt said:

alt.vinyl is shutting down.   Everything in the store is 50% off.  Merzbow / Faust / etc etc etc.

Underrated label devoted to 80s and 90s European noise and experimental, leaning heavily on industrial and lo-fi sounds. To say it's not even your average ambient fan's cup of tea would be an understatement, so it's a testament to the label and the niche within a niche within a niche community that they lasted so long.

In 2006-7 they released like about a dozen super-eccentric lathes cuts featuring a couple bands associated with the legendary Not Not Fun label out of L.A.... All 8"s. Yes, you read that right. Eight inch records! I got about nine of them.

20 minutes ago, scentofdeath said:

Wow I thought there'd be more Dale Cooper enthusiasts in this thread. Already got the download, the album is beautiful.

In other news, there might be some new Aphex Twin coming but we won't know until June 3rd.

I've never listened to Cooper before.  Can you relate his work to some other artists?  Out and about this weekend and unable to YouTube or Spotify him on the fly, but I'd like to hear a comparison if you can spare one.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I've never listened to Cooper before.  Can you relate his work to some other artists?  Out and about this weekend and unable to YouTube or Spotify him on the fly, but I'd like to hear a comparison if you can spare one.

They are in the ballpark of Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, but with a different take, and of course inspired by the Twin Peaks atmosphere (it's in the name).

But yeah, google them when you can.

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I'm a huge fan of Parole de Navarre, brilliant album. Also the pressing, being Denovali, is super lush and flawless. It's dark, lots of slow builds, huge on atmosphere and tension. Horror jazz maybe? Dark jazz? Post-jazz?! It's somewhere between latter, post-rock Talk Talk and Burial.

• 3 weeks later...

https://quaeschningschnauss.bandcamp.com/album/synthwaves-2

I'd jump on this ASAP. Only 250 total.

~42PPD shipped to the USA for the record and the bonus 10" with vinyl exclusive tracks.

I heard a track or two and it's some of the most gorgeous shit ever. But from anything Schnauss touches, I'm not surprised. 

35 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

~42PPD shipped to the USA for the record and the bonus 10" with vinyl exclusive tracks.

I heard a track or two and it's some of the most gorgeous shit ever. But from anything Schnauss touches, I'm not surprised. 

So the entire run is /750 for the LP, but 250 contain the EP?

This dude on Discogs is pretty pissed about how they hyped up the EP itself:

"I'm disappointed how the description of this vinyl on the Azure Vista Bandcamp website is just a flat-out LIE. The two tracks were released on the Pedigree Cuts digital version of the LP. Nice job marketing this as a super limited edition for tracks you can't get anywhere else ... meanwhile they've already been released in a digital format MONTHS AGO. "

Fair gripe, since they clearly say "These tracks won't be available digitally or on any other release"

5 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Oh, wow. Didn't know that. Either way, the music is amazing and I'm stoked to own it. I'm not sure where you pulled the /750 from, I don't see that on the band camp. 

https://www.discogs.com/Quaeschning-Schnauss-Synthwaves/release/10393734

Limited-edition of 750 copies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ólafur Arnalds' Eulogy For Evolution has been remastered and reissued and available for order today. Personally still prefer this (and Living Room Songs) to the majority of his other stuff. Sample of remastered material here.

Order link: https://www.erasedtapes.com/release/eratp101-olafur-arnalds-eulogy-for-evolution-2017 Limited to 2000 on clear.

banner.jpg

Will skip this as I already own this and I'm not mad on this remaster - the strings feel a bit lost in comparison to the original.

On 6/12/2017 at 1:32 PM, Kanye West said:

Is the Schnauss in question Ulrich Schnauss?

Also, did anyone ever actually receive their Ulrich Schnauss represses from Amazon.uk a few months ago?  Sorry if wrong thread.

32 minutes ago, thievedrelic said:

Is the Schnauss in question Ulrich Schnauss?

Also, did anyone ever actually receive their Ulrich Schnauss represses from Amazon.uk a few months ago?  Sorry if wrong thread.

Nope.  But just yesterday I received yet another e-mail from Amazon informing me that they're "still trying to fulfill" my order and reminded me that I can cancel it at anytime.  Didn't bother giving a projected ship date this time around, either.

4 hours ago, whoa said:

Ólafur Arnalds' Eulogy For Evolution has been remastered and reissued and available for order today. Personally still prefer this (and Living Room Songs) to the majority of his other stuff. Sample of remastered material here.

Order link: https://www.erasedtapes.com/release/eratp101-olafur-arnalds-eulogy-for-evolution-2017 Limited to 2000 on clear.

banner.jpg

Will skip this as I already own this and I'm not mad on this remaster - the strings feel a bit lost in comparison to the original.

Love Eulogy For Evolution, tempted to go in for this. Find it funny that Erased Tapes is re-issuing anything, their old website used to state that once it was gone it was gone.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

2 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Love Eulogy For Evolution, tempted to go in for this. Find it funny that Erased Tapes is re-issuing anything, their old website used to state that once it was gone it was gone.

They've always reissued stuff, even the smaller releases. But I do remember reading this on their old site as well. I think maybe that was for the very limited copies of things? Like the colour presses? I've never seen those reissued. 

Or maybe it's just a way to keep the label afloat these days. Still, this release is good news. Seems like a very personal reissue with a lot of Olafur's friends involved in the process. 

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Nope.  But just yesterday I received yet another e-mail from Amazon informing me that they're "still trying to fulfill" my order and reminded me that I can cancel it at anytime.  Didn't bother giving a projected ship date this time around, either.

I'm never going to get ahold of ASIP :(

5 hours ago, rabbitvinyl said:

They've always reissued stuff, even the smaller releases. But I do remember reading this on their old site as well. I think maybe that was for the very limited copies of things? Like the colour presses? I've never seen those reissued. 

Or maybe it's just a way to keep the label afloat these days. Still, this release is good news. Seems like a very personal reissue with a lot of Olafur's friends involved in the process. 

To be fair keeping things in print is always a move I'll support and the whole once its gone thing on the old website may have always been more shtick than a genuine stance after all the label is called erased tapes.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this album is absolutely beautiful and it needs to be on vinyl  <--- (How do I scream this in text?) 

Ludvig Cimbrelius (aka PURL)  under the ILLUVIA moniker  http://eternell.net/album/illuvia

He said:  (see the notes on the Bandcamp page)

send me a note to let me know your interest. If enough people are interested – and willing to commit to buying a copy – we shall make it so.

Listen, love it, send him a message. There needs to be a Kickstarter or something, this album is too good. Toooooo goooood!

Thoughts?