Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

On 2/10/2016 at 9:58 AM, rooks said:

Really looking forward to this new one from Dalhous,The Composite Moods Collection Vol.1: House Number 44. You can hear a track off the record here: https://blackesteverblack.bandcamp.com/album/the-composite-moods-collection-vol-1-house-number-44

Sounds great.

Super interested. And really interesting description of what the record is going to be:

not sure who picked it up, but whole album is pretty great mood music.

On 19.1.2017 at 0:34 AM, docbronze said:

Great review, Eliminator Jr. Thanks.  I have to say that your description of the Bowie e(u)legy track intrigues me greatly. Cheers.

Thanks! I'm eager to hear other people's thoughts on it, so feel free to report what you think.

On 1/18/2017 at 3:36 PM, Eliminator Jr. said:

Already got my hands on a copy of William Basinski's new album A Shadow In Time. I'm very much looking forward to spending a lot of time with in the next couple weeks, but after three consecutive listens both intently and somewhat distracted, it seems to be kind of a mixed bag, so far. 

Side A is, well, perfect, really. A 17-minute slowburner, as bleak as it is mournful and full of richly detailed sonic variety. I'm sensing a prerecorded loop somewhere below the surface, but it hardly gets to the front, if ever. It cerntainly is an ever evolving piece, slowly disintegrating and, eventually, fading, but there's a lot of progression going on in the details, making the title track an instant favorite of his body work. 

Side B is a somewhat different monster. It starts out as a classic Basinski-loop that inevitably reminds me of his work in The Disintegration Loops. It's crushingly beautiful, with a melancholic fanfare-like feel to it reminiscent to D|P1. Without hyperbole I could listen to this loop on repeat for days. 

Yet, Basinski planned to do things somewhat differently this time around. Around six minutes in a rather hideous saxophone-sample takes the stage, starting out as pleasing and surprising Badalamenti/Lynch-improvisation, but evolving into an atonal mess, getting louder and more center for ten minutes, before slowly crumbling to dust with the rest of the piece. Surely I'm not set on this opinion, as I have to spend more time with it, but right now I'm pretty much baffled about Basinski's decision to sabotage the piece's melancholy edge and take it down an experimental, almost jazzy path. It's great, kind of, but I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that the loop's sublime beauty is subverted by that shaky saxophone cut.

Nonetheless, this is far from a disappointment. As much as Basinski's art is a 'hate it or love it'-affair, it's a very welcome breath of fresh air to hear something genuinely new going on in his music. I think I'll be content with the path the second song takes, since almost all of his work until now is full of his trademark knack for melancholy and beauty. Abrasiveness is an attribute I never would've thought to attach to this record, but I'm more than happy with Basinski adding new words to his dictionary.

do you do album reviews outside of these forums? like on a different blog or something?

Edited by Fungi

On 1/18/2017 at 3:36 PM, Eliminator Jr. said:

Already got my hands on a copy of William Basinski's new album A Shadow In Time...

I listened for the first time today and was pretty wrecked by the emotional weight of it. A perfect eulogy for 2016. I didn't mind the sax on the B-side, but I could see how listeners may find it abrasive. 

On 10.1.2017 at 1:44 PM, JoshuaNilk said:

Any of you internet-savvy capable of finding a discount code to run with Fire Records?

New Noveller coming out and on bandcamp there's space left to enter a discount code. Shouldn't that mean there's one that's currently active out there? I checked Fire Records' FB site and googled around but no cigar.

https://novellermusic.bandcamp.com/album/a-pink-sunset-for-no-one

Bumpity.

Anyone?

So I recognize that this is old new to most folks on here, and I'm not even sure how truly "ambient" the album should be considered anyway, but I cannot get Monuments by Loscil off my turntable right now. It's awesome. I'm not steeped in his whole catalog, but this is easily my favorite of the few I've heard. And the vinyl is  pretty quiet to boot.

16 minutes ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

N,o but I keep putting off grabbing Substrata.

same here, but your post inspired me to finally pull the trigger and order it.

the cirque reissue appears even better than the first press, as it includes 6 additional tracks.

Edited by Fungi

On 1/29/2017 at 11:24 AM, docbronze said:

So I recognize that this is old new to most folks on here, and I'm not even sure how truly "ambient" the album should be considered anyway, but I cannot get Monuments by Loscil off my turntable right now. It's awesome. I'm not steeped in his whole catalog, but this is easily my favorite of the few I've heard. And the vinyl is  pretty quiet to boot.

i should probably give monument builders another shot. maybe because i was listening to it during rough commutes to and from work, but i decided to pass on the vinyl. i really enjoyed 2014's sea island. i had read about the sea island murders, however didn't even realize the connection until later after i'd listened to the album 3 or 4 times.

3 hours ago, Fungi said:

i should probably give monument builders another shot. maybe because i was listening to it during rough commutes to and from work, but i decided to pass on the vinyl. i really enjoyed 2014's sea island. i had read about the sea island murders, however didn't even realize the connection until later after i'd listened to the album 3 or 4 times.

Funnily enough, I sampled monument builders before the vinyl was released and, for whatever reason, it didn't hit my ear right. It was only after I saw a few people whose opinions I trust giving the music (and the pressing) good reviews that I revisited it on digital. Then it grabbed me. I usually buy ambient music on CD so that I can listen to it uninterrupted and perfectly silent, but this is less of that type of album for me and more like a score (think Blade Runner or Ben Lovett's Synchronicity).  Anyhow, give it another go and see what you think.

EDIT: Also, I am unaware of the Sea Island murders or their connection to the Loscil album. 

3 hours ago, Fungi said:

i had read about the sea island murders

disregard. i got the sea island murders confused with a different series of murders i had read about.

20 minutes ago, docbronze said:

I am unaware of the Sea Island murders or their connection to the Loscil album. 

In the summer of 1983, a couple was found murdered in their beachfront cottage on Sea Island, Georgia. William B. Roberts, a former president of Chevron International Oil, Inc., was 61, and his wife, Merrill, was 52. They had been dead for four days when their naked bodies were discovered in two separate bathrooms, “repeated layers of cloth and tape covered their heads from chin to forehead”. When an autopsy was performed, it was revealed that they met their end by way of slowly suffocating. A day later, one of the suspects, a landscaper who worked on the island, drank paraquat, a weed killer, while being pursued by police, and died of lung, liver and kidney failure in a hospital two days afterward. Until then known more for visits by industrial tycoons and political heavyweights, Sea Island now had its first homicides; a dramatic rupture in genteel tranquility.

2 hours ago, Fungi said:

disregard. i got the sea island murders confused with a different series of murders i had read about.

In the summer of 1983, a couple was found murdered in their beachfront cottage on Sea Island, Georgia. William B. Roberts, a former president of Chevron International Oil, Inc., was 61, and his wife, Merrill, was 52. They had been dead for four days when their naked bodies were discovered in two separate bathrooms, “repeated layers of cloth and tape covered their heads from chin to forehead”. When an autopsy was performed, it was revealed that they met their end by way of slowly suffocating. A day later, one of the suspects, a landscaper who worked on the island, drank paraquat, a weed killer, while being pursued by police, and died of lung, liver and kidney failure in a hospital two days afterward. Until then known more for visits by industrial tycoons and political heavyweights, Sea Island now had its first homicides; a dramatic rupture in genteel tranquility.

That is legitimately disturbing.

1 hour ago, daegor said:

So that new Kid Koala album is pretty rad.

It doesn't really strike me as a particularly ambient or experimental record. It sounds more like dream or ethereal pop music to me. Either way, I do not care for it. The little I've heard sounds like a poor impersonation of Mum with a worse vocalist/insecure Bjork impersonator. I'm no Kid Koala hater, mind you. I think he is pretty rad as you say, but Music To Draw To doesn't move the needle for me.

Just now, docbronze said:

It doesn't really strike me as a particularly ambient or experimental record. It sounds more like dream or ethereal pop music to me. Either way, I do not care for it. The little I've heard sounds like a poor impersonation of Mum with a worse vocalist/insecure Bjork impersonator. I'm no Kid Koala hater, mind you. I think he is pretty rad as you say, but Music To Draw To doesn't move the needle for me.

'Ambient' and 'experimental' is an extremely broad term.  The press is calling it an ambient record, and while there are certainly moments of ambience, I agree with your conjecture that it's not really the correct genre to throw it under.  I am surprised by your opinion of Torrini though, she sounds nothing like Bjork to me (who I generally dislike), I thought she added a lot to the album.

I am a sucker for concept albums though.

2 minutes ago, daegor said:

'Ambient' and 'experimental' is an extremely broad term.  The press is calling it an ambient record, and while there are certainly moments of ambience, I agree with your conjecture that it's not really the correct genre to throw it under.  I am surprised by your opinion of Torrini though, she sounds nothing like Bjork to me (who I generally dislike), I thought she added a lot to the album.

I am a sucker for concept albums though.

Please don't misunderstand: I was not criticizing your/the categorization of the album as ambient, simply musing that it hadn't occurred to me as such. As far as the vocals go, it's a fair point. I find that she possesses a certain timbre that reminds me of Bjork (which in an of itself is not a bad thing for me). I also find that many Icelandic female vocalists (which I believe she is) sound similar to me. Perhaps it is only a shared accent (if so that's to my detriment), but I wonder if that sound isn't tacitly encouraged as being "marketable" due to the  Bjork putting that island on the map and dominating their pop music scene for decades now.