Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

based Timmy indeed.

unless someone gives me a good reason not to (and i already bought the new album), i'm gonna listen to the leak tomorrow.

Can't think of a reason, honestly unless that 2-second gap is enough to deter you.  The bitrate and spectrals check out – should sound absolutely sublime with a quality set of headphones, like the rest of his discography.  Having blindly pre-ordered as well, I'm excited to give it a whirl at some point.  Just have to decide how long I'd like to wait...

The silver edition on Paper Bag is /300. The prices are in CAD so it's not quite as steep as it seems (if you're in the states obv). My order was $27 and some change ppd

Silver is boring. Trans is perfect.

Edit: FINALLY got my ship confirm for Rafael Anton Irisarri, A Fragile Geography today....been like 6 months since I po'ed.

If you didn;t know about it...now you do; and it's great!

https://irisarri.bandcamp.com/album/a-fragile-geographySigned black still available.

Edit: FINALLY got my ship confirm for Rafael Anton Irisarri, A Fragile Geography today....been like 6 months since I po'ed.

https://irisarri.bandcamp.com/album/a-fragile-geographySigned black still available.

Great album indeed. Got to see him live a few months ago with Lawrence English and Loscil. That was a spiritual evening

Maybe I need to spend more time with it, but a couple listens in, and I can't say anything really grabs me. It's definitely a TH record, but doesn't grab me like some of his previous albums. 

I felt a little similarly after one listen, but to be fair, that's exactly how I felt about Virgins.  It wasn't until the second or third listen with headphones and no distractions, in the dark, where that shit really clicked with me.  Having to get up and flip the vinyl breaks the immersion a tiny bit, but I still highly suggest fully losing yourself in a Hecker album if you haven't tried it already.  I'm eager to see how I feel about Love Streams in the long run.  Drone / ambient is actually the one genre where I'd probably be okay if an artist rehashed their sound.  (i.e., bring on that Ravedeath 2.0.  All day.)  But Hecker is continuing to broaden his sound palette, and I gotta' admire that in itself.  I think this is probably the most active and vibrant album he's released... which is appropriate for that album art, definitely.  Speaking of which –

Silver is boring. Trans is perfect.

Silver is indeed boring (and even a little gross) in this context.  I really can't imagine it.  If it was a translucent violet /300, though, I'd consider canceling my 4AD or double-dipping...

And yes; my Rafael Anton showed up just two days ago.  I was wondering when and if it'd grace my doorstep.  Really lovely album.  I'm not too familiar with his work and didn't know what to expect, going into it, but I'm grateful for buying it blindly.

Great album indeed. Got to see him live a few months ago with Lawrence English and Loscil. That was a spiritual evening

What an awesome lineup.  Color me jealous.

Dream show for sure. My favorite in a LONG time was seeing Nils Frahm and A Winged Victory a few years ago.

Goddamn.  I was fortunate enough to catch AWVFTS at the end of 2014, and it was nothing short of magical.  But Nils Frahm in the same night?  Oof.

I saw AWVFTS on a whim last year barely knowing their stuff and it blew me fucking away.

I really do feel like they're an act that can impress even those who've never even dabbled into ambient or contemporary classical. Just the lighting, and the atmosphere – really incredible stuff that's probably easy to appreciate for anyone with eyes and ears.

I've been on a big modern classical kick recently. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Albums that I've been listening to a lot include: Sebastian Plano - Impetus, Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks, and A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atomos.

Rauelsson - Vora (top 10 of 2013)

Ben Lukas Boysen - Gravity

Fabrizio Paterlini - Autumn Stories and The Art of the Piano

Carlos Cipa - All Your Life You Walk

Ruhe - Patriarchs (recent fave)

Federico Albanese - The Blue Hour

Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but I just saw that Kreng put out a new LP last year. Unfortunately the first three track are lackluster, but the second half takes things in an all the more interesting direction. The mighty titletrack features Amenra, need I say more?

It's definitely worth checking out.

image.php_.jpeg

BC: https://kreng.bandcamp.com/album/the-summoner

Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/1IvVH8GppK7oTIVI9UYndi