Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

Figured I'd post this here to get some discussion going. Not often you see this side being taken, so I thought it'd be interesting to add a new perspective to the mix:

https://medium.com/@jason_tate/yes-vinyl-prices-are-going-up-no-i-dont-feel-bad-74e17d93298b

I certainly don't agree with all of it, but I can agree to some things to a certain extent.

jason tate is the whiniest bitch ever. this isn't a new opinion nor is it an original thought in the slightest... but the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality is the sorriest excuse of an idea ever. 

also, how is coming to the defense of large labels at all (absolute)punk?

yes vinyl prices are going up from "cash-in-labels" like SRC, Because Sound Matters and AFS (RIP). And from major labels like Warner and Interscope (lana del rey at urban outfitters?!) because it's the first thing they know they can sell in a while. 

Small indie labels are still finding ways to keep prices down though because those sales aren't guaranteed. They spend more to produce each unit and sell it for less. 

Like every other big corporation, big labels aren't worried about getting the music in the people's hands, they're worried about making as much money before the bubble bursts. If they could take a step back and realize they're causing the bubble to burst sooner, that'd be great.

dreamover nailed it.

Also, I hope that the picture at the top of that article isn't Tate's collection. The fact that you can see B-G in the alphabet in one picture means that people are taking advice about the price of records from someone who owns roughly 50 LPs. Ha!

I do not agree with his viewpoint at all. Actually reading the article made me feel kind of sorry for him because I'm not sure he even understands what he is saying. His viewpoint is hey it's cool to price gouge. I think making a product and selling it a fair price that fans can have it and labels/bands make a profit is great. Taking advantage of the consumer is just wrong. Even if the consumer has taken advantage of you at times. The old saying is true two wrongs don't make a right. All the great labels have a great consideration for their fans and that fans returns the favor by supporting them and appreciating them. Smaller labels like Topshelf, In The Clouds, and Tiny Engines get a lot of love because they treat their customers with respect and provide a quality product at a fair price. Instead of patting the greedy labels on the back and saying good job he should be commending labels doing it the right way.

I'd say Jason Tate's record collection probably consist of 50-100 records he's picked up within the last year or so and he's probably never seen anything priced decently so he doesn't understand how drastically prices have gone up over the last 4-5 years and how quite a few webstores/labels are taking advantage of customers in a very uncool way. He just wants to get in on the vinyl rage by writing an article about it and making himself look like some vinyl now it all.

Might be an older picture, but I'd put money on that being his collection, fits his tastes at least.

I agree with most of what dreamover said as well. I think there's some gray area in this matter (as with any) but I'm always gonna side with the consumer when it comes to price gouging. Just because a label can charge a shitload for a record, doesn't mean they should. I also have an issue with the way he throws around the "entitled music fans" generalizations. I think he's assigning the blame unfairly on the average fan for why the state of the music industry is how it is.

dreamover nailed it.

Also, I hope that the picture at the top of that article isn't Tate's collection. The fact that you can see B-G in the alphabet in one picture means that people are taking advice about the price of records from someone who owns roughly 50 LPs. Ha!

It's the same picture he uses for his cover photo on twitter, so i'd say it's a safe bet!

Vinyl is the flavor of the month, not saying it's going to die down anytime soon but yes, Dreamover hit the nail on the head. I think I was the first person in the matches thread to bitch about the price and while I agree with Jason said, (like dreamover said) it's not a new idea nor is it an original thought. The Matches from what I understand broke up because they couldn't support themselves or the band with the money they were making. It's awesome they own the rights to the album and if you read in my matches thread comment, I said that it didn't seem like they were making this for a cash grab but I also feel that 40 dollars for a double LP is insane (especially) since it's literally the same album. I think it's a cool idea to do for sure but if this press sells out like I think it will the band should make roughly 20k. I don't know shit about the cost of making a record but I'm assuming they'll make a decent profit off this considering they own the rights to the album. I may be stupid but I'll take a single black lp in a jacket with/without an insert for 12-15 bucks over a 40 dollar double LP of the same album. Then again I just paid 32 bucks for Finch's LP from SRC so I may be talking out of my ass. 

There's some real "Old Man Yells At Cloud"-style grumpiness in this piece. I guess Tate thinks that if majors and garbage reissue "labels" set prices at $30+ for an LP, they are then giving more of that money to the artist. I don't know that it's necessarily surprising that he's that willfully ignorant about how the music industry works, but it definitely means no one should take him seriously.

Probably.

I'm convinced that he purposely takes these types of stands on ~controversial topics (see: Cartel - Chroma) just to make a stir and pretend like he knows what he's talking about by using words like "connections" and "music industry standards."  Whatever's logical, you know that Jason Tate will be on the opposing side of it.