WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

To be clear: who wrote that words is an idiot and now the band is paying the consequences of that stupidity, BUT i really hope that all the people that now want Whirr disappearing and want burn(???) all their records make something PRODUCTIVE in the REAL LIFE to fight racism and homophopic attitude and that they make it with the same energy and passion they are putting in this stupid and classical internet buzz.......You know......I doubt about that......

That apology is the worst. Laughably bad.

To the question about separating art from the artist: it's nearly impossible to know that a shitty person created a form of expression and enjoy it. That music is a direct expression of their very being hatred and all. I gave up on them a long time ago and feel right in having done so - music is human expression and we know what these assholes are expressing there is no between-the-lines. I finally am divesting of Kozelek related shit myself for this very reason.

Keep listening if you want but don't decieve yourself into thinking there is separation. This is their art. They created it. They own it. There are awful people involved.

That apology is the worst. Laughably bad.

To the question about separating art from the artist: it's nearly impossible to know that a shitty person created a form of expression and enjoy it. That music is a direct expression of their very being hatred and all. I gave up on them a long time ago and feel right in having done so - music is human expression and we know what these assholes are expressing there is no between-the-lines. I finally am divesting of Kozelek related shit myself for this very reason.

Keep listening if you want but don't decieve yourself into thinking there is separation. This is their art. They created it. They own it. There are awful people involved.

I'm sorry, that is completely fucking absurd. Maybe it's nearly impossible to you to listen to art created by dicks and enjoy it, but you're in the minority. I listen to plenty of Jazz musicians who were unfaithful and abusive to their wives. Hip-hop created by violent thugs. Classical composed by upper class drama queens of questionable morale character. experimental rock created by pompous, pretentious pricks.

It does not affect my enjoyment of the art whatsoever. It is simply laughable to say their art directly comes from their hatred of transgendered people - as if there is nothing else to them besides what you don't like.

Like I said, I think Whirr sucks, but if you can't appreciate art created by morally questionable people, you might be looking for a buddy, not an artist. to me, artists have no obligation to be nice folks who I'd like to get beers with. That's not what I look for in an artist - I look for good music that makes me feel something.

Is sonic youth artistically discredited because Moore was cheating on Gordon? Is "American Pie" a shit song because Don McLean is a notorious asshole? More importantly, who the fuck cares what artists do in their personal lives? Are we not above tabloid-style gossip and witch hunts? Priorities, guys. Jesus.

I'm sorry, that is completely fucking absurd. Maybe it's nearly impossible to you to listen to art created by dicks and enjoy it, but you're in the minority. I listen to plenty of Jazz musicians who were unfaithful and abusive to their wives. Hip-hop created by violent thugs. Classical composed by upper class drama queens of questionable morale character. experimental rock created by pompous, pretentious pricks.

It does not affect my enjoyment of the art whatsoever. It is simply laughable to say their art directly comes from their hatred of transgendered people - as if there is nothing else to them besides what you don't like.

Like I said, I think Whirr sucks, but if you can't appreciate art created by morally questionable people, you might be looking for a buddy, not an artist. to me, artists have no obligation to be nice folks who I'd like to get beers with. That's not what I look for in an artist - I look for good music that makes me feel something.

Is sonic youth artistically discredited because Moore was cheating on Gordon? Is "American Pie" a shit song because Don McLean is a notorious asshole? More importantly, who the fuck cares what artists do in their personal lives? Are we not above tabloid-style gossip and witch hunts? Priorities, guys. Jesus.

come on

I have a Whirr tape and a Camera Shy one. What should I do?

put that shit on and listen to it....its not like these records are riddled with lyrics and music of hate.  Yea these dudes are shitty now, they did and said some stuff that was really fucking dumb, but now everyone wants to unload all of their lps like its a fuckin' Skrewdriver lp or something...

all this hoopla about the band today actually made me put "sway" on, and you know what I still dig it...it's a great fuckin' record....sucks that these dudes said some really awful stuff but remember before all this happened 24 hours ago you still liked that band and that record

remember before all this happened 24 hours ago you still liked that band and that record

Obligatory post about how I never liked the band nor the album.

(I got the tape in a big package of tapes I bought and it's been sitting on my shelf since. However, Camera Shy I do like and bought on purpose. I didn't know they were the same person.)

I've never heard even a second of a Whirr song. Just want to say that when it comes to artists being shitty, it's one thing to enjoy a Beatles song despite their history of domestic abuse. It's another thing to directly financially support an artist in 2015 saying shitty things. Whether or not you listen to the Beatles does not affect the members at all. Whether or not you give money to an independent artist actually has an effect. I'm not saying do or don't, just that it's a case where speaking your opinion with your wallet is possible. There's also a huge difference between enjoying art and supporting it. If you like the tunes, listen. Just think about where your money is going if you decided to pay for something.

I understand why RFC didn't do this, but I would have been fine with it of their decision had been to sell off the remaining stock of Whirr shit at some kind of discount, with some of the money going to charity. I feel for a small label having to eat that kind of investment. Like Broken World had to do with that David Belli split because the other artist turned out to be a sexual predator.

StrawMan.jpg

Are you aware of what "straw man" actually means? How on earth is my post a "straw man" fallacy when it was a direct response to this quote:

It's nearly impossible to know that a shitty person created a form of expression and enjoy it. That music is a direct expression of their very being hatred and all.

Is what I said not a direct response to that?

Remember when R. Kelly peed on 14 year old girls? And I know your asses were still listening to TP2.COM and Trapped in the Closet (please put that magnificent hip-hopera on a 4xLP deliciously black colored wax box set).

no, that was you.  fuck that guy.