WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

Regarding this Dakota Bahney character, I'm confused.  Everything I've read states that this person is female, but all the pictures I've seen and a video I watched leaves me scratching my head as to how they're not a dude.  I hope this isn't considered transphobic or whatever, since on this board being transphobic is worse than being a pedophile, but seriously... I'm confused.

Regarding this Dakota Bahney character, I'm confused.  Everything I've read states that this person is female, but all the pictures I've seen and a video I watched leaves me scratching my head as to how they're not a dude.  I hope this isn't considered transphobic or whatever, since on this board being transphobic is worse than being a pedophile, but seriously... I'm confused.

gender conformist scum

i dont know who this person is, but it comes down to this: if someone (regardless of how they look) identifies and states that they are a specific gender, then that is their gender.

so if dakota appears masculine or feminine or androgynous, but dakota states "i am a female", then dakota is a female.

i dont know who this person is, but it comes down to this: if someone (regardless of how they look) identifies and states that they are a specific gender, then that is their gender.

so if dakota appears masculine or feminine or androgynous, but dakota states "i am a female", then dakota is a female.

Hmmm...  okay.  

Hmmm...  okay.  

after a little digging, i was able to confirm that dakota is/was (since she was kinda chased out of the scene) a trans singer/musician. so yes, she may appear masculine, but she is female.

it helps to understand this if you separate sex from gender, as they are not one and the same.

after a little digging, i was able to confirm that dakota is/was (since she was kinda chased out of the scene) a trans singer/musician. so yes, she may appear masculine, but she is female.

it helps to understand this if you separate sex from gender, as they are not one and the same.

That's cool and all, but then the idea of gender becomes meaningless.  Maybe that's the point?  I dunno, whatever.  

all the people selling their whirr and shit aren't really, they're just saying that on an internet message board for e-respect

I felt like selling my records yesterday out of instinct, but later I didn't want to anymore. Each album has sentimental value to me so I'm not surprised I backed out of offers. Call me a piece of shit hyprocrite or whatever, these albums mean to much to me regardless of the people (or person) who wrote them. This is not to say making art excuses you from being a scumbag, it's just this one instance where I care more about the art than the artist.

I felt like selling my records yesterday out of instinct, but later I didn't want to anymore. Each album has sentimental value to me so I'm not surprised I backed out of offers. Call me a piece of shit hyprocrite or whatever, these albums mean to much to me regardless of the people (or person) who wrote them. This is not to say making art excuses you from being a scumbag, it's just this one instance where I care more about the art than the artist.

honestly I'm glad you came to your senses, I'm not trying to stand up for douchery. But like me you connected with the music, the message in the lyrics is not prejudice I see no reason why the music wouldn't bring you the same joy it did a few days ago

That's cool and all, but then the idea of gender becomes meaningless.  Maybe that's the point?  I dunno, whatever.  

its not meaningless at all, but it certainly shouldn't be as pressured or hold a place of importance like it does in society as we know it (ie: gender assigned bathrooms, clothes, "pink branding," and accessories such as childrens toys). there is a population of humankind that believe that on the inside - their true selves - they are a gender that differs from the one they were assigned at birth. gender resides in the brain, not under your clothes.

Dakota is (was?) the musician behind Unraveler (a predominately acoustic folkpunk act) and the label Cool Shoes. I only knew her passively before she deleted all her media accounts but from what I perceived she was friendly, very morally outspoken and very respected in her local community. It was an extremely shocking reveal whenever she was outed as an assailant. 

Also if anyone wants to sell a copy of around cheap, that's the only whirr record i dig a ton (kristina is great) and I only have it on tape. Would be willing to grab a vinyl copy on the low.

In Pittsburgh there is this artist formally known as Unraveler. It was this promoter/musician's project by the name of Dakota. She was very influential in the scene and well respected. This past summer numerous victims stood up and shared their stories of sexual abuse/assault that they suffered at the hands of Dakota. She made an announcement and then deleted all her social media accounts. It still shocks me to this day since I sort of knew Dakota. It made the Pgh scene more safe and there were a lot of really good conversations about safety and help for victims afterwards.

This is still the craziest and scariest story involving the scene this year. She was so important there and to see all this happen...wow.

Yes yes yes yes

its not meaningless at all, but it certainly shouldn't be as pressured or hold a place of importance like it does in society as we know it (ie: gender assigned bathrooms, clothes, "pink branding," and accessories such as childrens toys). there is a population of humankind that believe that on the inside - their true selves - they are a gender that differs from the one they were assigned at birth. gender resides in the brain, not under your clothes.

I'm just wondering, do you also feel this way about race?