Swans Hype: 2022 Edition

POTENTIAL LINEUP THUS FAR

3zoyGzC.png

It looks like Young God Records will be reissuing some / most / all[?] of Swans discography in 2015.  In case you guys missed it, curiosity got the better of me back in April, and I contacted Swans about a potential Soundtracks for the Blind press.  That album is far too good to have never seen the light of day on vinyl.  I was expecting something akin to "We've considered it, but have more projects to work on" – which is pretty much the truth of it – but I got a more concrete answer than I could have hoped for:

FQMQlGV.png

Awesome, right?  But it gets better.

I have a friend who e-mailed Young God, and they got back to him last night.  Here's a juicy bit of info they dropped:

Nma4QZI.jpg

This tells me a few things.  Either this particular YGR respondent isn't aware of the band's plans to press SFTB (which seems incredibly unlikely, since Gira basically is YGR), or it's later on their agenda of vinyl pressings for 2015.  I'm personally leaning towards the latter – key words like Starting with and at the moment imply that there will be other reissues in 2015.  Soundtracks may not be in their immediate plans, but they still have a year and a half to make it happen if they're true to their word.

I figured I wouldn't be the only one excited about this.  Very much looking forward to [potentially] buying a mint copy of Great Annihilator for less than $300.

I'd be willing to update this OP when they actually drop, but I understand if this should be moved to the General board for the time being.  I just figure that a lot of Swans fans would love to hear this, and may not frequent that sub-forum.  That, and the albums are confirmed for a vinyl press – we're not talking about remastered CDs or "potential" vinyl plans, like a lot of relocated "new release" threads do.

Edited by Derek™

YES! Thanks Derek!!

No problem.  To say I'm excited to own any pre-hiatus Swans album for < $30 would be a huge understatement.

I just hope Young God handles them like all the other post-hiatus records; black vinyl pressed in bulk and readily available for years to come.  Though I would gladly extra for a "deluxe" version of SFTB with silver and copper vinyl, to match the CD.  Either way... next year should be very exciting for any Swans fans who prefer vinyl.

I like the sound of this a lot.  Seems like their entire back catalogue is pretty expensive to buy used.

Everything before their hiatus - minus Burning World - is grossly overpriced on the aftermarket.  Some of those albums I figured I'd never get to hear, considering the outrageous average of their going rates.  I really hope that gets remedied.  I'm also relieved that Filth is confirmed as one of the reissues.  I know there's some confusion / skepticism on the validity of copies out there.  It'd be nice to thrown down money for an album and know that it's not a bootleg with 100% certainty.

I also wouldn't mind a Swans boxset.  Like at all.

Nice work Derek. I hope I'm right that with them moving forward by two eras at once. The Burning World makes sense as a point to split since YGR don't own the rights to it. The reissue of The Burning World was much appreciated this year as well. Very excited at the prospect of owning all Swans albums.

I don't get why the answer to your original question is different from Swans and from Young God. Michael Gira is Swans spokesperson and runs YG virtually singlehandedly, certainly making decisions re-releases. But fingers crossed Soundtracks happens. Be interesting to see which sleeves they use for vinyl represses - the originals or the cardboard style of the CD reissues.

But either way it's great news even though I have all of the original presses. One of the few bands I'd buy all over again.

I have their entire vinyl collection except for Great Annihilator and Public Castration. I was pretty patient over the past 10+ years and most cost me $25 and under from random record shop scores and lucky ebay snipes. Most I paid was around $75 for a mint copy of Love of Life with the box maybe 7 years ago. My copy of White Light cost me $25 because the records are great but the cover is pretty trashed. But they were all bought before Gira decided to start recording/touring again which caused a lot of hype and pushed the prices up. Soundtracks would be amazing! I wish he's skip Filth which they've pressed more than once and go with something else. I'd love to get the Annihilator but I'm not ever paying $200 for it. I wonder if Invisible Records has any of the rights for that at all anymore? I'm guessing not or else Martin Atkins would have released it and not given Gira any $$ for it like he does with everyone else.

Young God Records and Swans are the same people.

I don't get why the answer to your original question is different from Swans and from Young God. Michael Gira is Swans spokesperson and runs YG virtually singlehandedly, certainly making decisions re-releases.

Yeah, I knew Gira and YGR are more or less one entity... but for whatever reason, I'm going to assume there's a tiny bit of leeway for information to get lost in translation.  Perhaps someone else in the band (or close to the band) accidentally "leaked" that SFTB news back in April.  Or, more than likely, it's on their 2015 agenda at some point.  It's tricky phrasing, but I think it's very possible to have no "plans at the moment" to press something, even if it's a goal down the road.  Like in a year or more.

I've been wanting SFTB on vinyl for quite a while now, so I really hope it does see the light of day.  If you guys want to be accurate, the second message I quoted [which was sent to my friend] is < 48 hours old, whereas mine is a little more than 2 months.  I can't imagine that they changed their mind about pressing Soundtracks in less than two months, though.

• Derek™ changed the title to Swans Hype: 2022 Edition