The Leftovers [HBO Show]

Having trouble getting excited about this show each week.  Really liked episode 5 and then episode 6 rolled around and bored the hell out of me.  I think I just have trouble empathizing with the characters, none of them are likeable enough for me to really care.  Also, the daughter is a babe.

Having trouble getting excited about this show each week.  Really liked episode 5 and then episode 6 rolled around and bored the hell out of me.  I think I just have trouble empathizing with the characters, none of them are likeable enough for me to really care. 

Hit the nail on the head. This show is bouncing too much, They focus on one character one week and then they go full on into the actual point of the show. Still love it. Keeps you on edge. You get a brutal stoning one week, next week you get a character profile. 3 episodes left. Next episode looks intense.

On that note, True Detective season two better fucking deliver.

This is seriously my favorite show in five years. I. Love the way it's filmed and the way its written so much. The mechanism of having each episode be centric on a separate character from the last is my favorite in television. It tells such a detailed and intriguing character story for each individual in the story, creating one large monument of an overarching story held up by various individual stilts of character story, all which mesh together to reveal connections and various undertones of character connection, symbolism, allegory, and all the other genius writing techniques that Damon is employing in this series.

Last night the height of the false prophet substory had me falling off the edge of my seat excited. And Kevin's slow awakening (ironic as its exactly the opposite of an awakening) is surely the point of the entire season, and his slow acceptance to it is so gripping. I just wonder, who did "they" send to help Kevin? Early on we assumed the bald man with the dogs, but now the writers are implying Nora. Speaking of the dogs, when he was delusional he seemed to momentarily visualize a truckbed full of guilty remnants with bullet holes in their head, including his wife. And this was directly after deciding he wouldn't shoot the dogs again. Plus he visualized his son closing the door. Plus his son was shot in the hand the same spot Kevin was bit in the hand in the same night. So much to consider. But one thing I took away from last night is definitive proof that Kevin's father is not crazy. There's no way he could have known that the priest put the money in his son's back yard without the "voices" to guide him there. No one knew that money was there besides the priest and Kevin's ex wife, and she only learned of it within the past couple weeks. So that was a nice way for the writers to confirm his claims are the primary road of story that the show is going down.

The only plot line that I find boring/too sci-fi eccentric is the stuff with Tom and the pregnant girls. It feels too convoluted in regards to everything else that's going on. Aside from the cross-over with Nora for a moment it's been my least favorite part of the show. Hopefully they shed some more light on Wayne, episode 4 was a hard watch.

Don't forget they both smashed cell phones. I was noticing a lot of weird parallels like that in this episode. 

I've been considering starting a drinking game to this show. so far i've got:

1) Everytime a cel phone is smashed.

2) Everytime somebody smokes

3) Everytime a dog barks (just once per scene. not the entire time it barks ha)

Don't forget they both smashed cell phones. I was noticing a lot of weird parallels like that in this episode. [/quote

You're so right .. I hadn't taken notice of the cellphone parallel yet. But there's definitely some crazy intentional parallels going on between them. Perhaps a contrast in the way Kevin is refusing to accept and Tom has blindly accted and obliged obediently.... I think that's what is being paralleled. Kevin's refusal to accept that there is more going on with the departure and Tom's acceptance and (until now) his loyalty to Wayne and his grandiose preaching and demands. And this episode is the obvious climax and turning point of that parallel...as both characters were left switching their fate. Tom figuratively "closed the door" on Wayne (could this havecaused the delusion of him closing Kevin's door? ) and Kevin has given in to the fact he can lo longer ignore what is going on via the national geographic issue.

Thanks man. This discussion helped me feel I further understand what the writers intend.

Not sure if it would be considered "better", but The Strain on FX is getting really good. Slow start, but quickly picking up pace. Plus it's Guillermo del Toro. Can't be upset with that. 

When The Strain started I liked them both about equally. Now The Leftovers is really growing on me and The Strain is just getting cheesier and played out imo.