The Leftovers [HBO Show]

The people in this town must all sleep really soundly and not believe in alarms, which is surprising considering the GR broke into everyone's home not too long ago and stole their pictures (and everyone hates them). Just not plausible.

Their lives do revolve around being silent, for what its worth lol. Seriously loved the finale though.

Their lives do revolve around being silent, for what its worth lol. Seriously loved the finale though.

I guess, but I'd like to think I would wake up if several human ashtrays broke into my house with 1-3 dummies and started moving furniture, to say nothing of the fact that apparently no one except the GR are up past 10:00 pm, otherwise someone would see them and report the break-ins.

• 1 year later...

Can someone explain the beginning scene and what relation it has to the story? I realize it's the same geographical area. I can only hope they explain it at some point in the season.

Lindelof did this same kind of shit with Lost. I'd be legitimately surprised if they ever touch on that scene again.

Yeah it'll probably just serve a purely thematic. Just that everything can be taken away from you without a moment's warning (the cave in killing her family, the snake stealing her life, the baby being taken from her) and how that prophet had his house taken from him and John had his daughter taken from him.

Can someone explain the beginning scene and what relation it has to the story? I realize it's the same geographical area. I can only hope they explain it at some point in the season.

It's a visual metaphor that you could take a lot of ways. You could look at it as another example of losing people and moving on. You could look at it as showing how our individual traumas don't end up influencing the future at all (i.e. our suffering is for nothing).

Or it could be an unfinished parable or story that they'll return to later in the season that will make it come full circle and relate more directly to the rest of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think the beginning scene is to show that there have always been earthquakes in that area. Which is kind of weird, because Texas doesn't get too many earthquakes. 

2nd episode was really really good. I like where this season is headed.

was thinking that meg raped tom because he's somehow special, which would make sense if wayne actually did have powers and gave them to tom.

Remember she said something like, tell your mom Meg says hi, after she rapes him. I was thinking it was something more messed up like she's trying to have his kid to get back at his mom.

I'm getting a little confused with them going back and forth between the stories each other episode. I forgot a lot about some of the characters in the first season. I hope the two stories lines meet somewhere this season.

it could be both. have the kid to get back at laurie and get some of that special power. although they appear scattered and not entirely organized, i get the impression that the guilty remnant know something, or have a behind-the-scenes figurehead. not sure what exactly laurie did to meg that warrants a child raping and burn-alive psych-out.

not sure what exactly laurie did to meg that warrants a child raping and burn-alive psych-out.

Isn't Laurie helping people from the Guilty Remnant escape via Tom? I figured Meg was pissed about that since she seems to be leading them now. Now that Laurie is turning into a rageoholic, maybe there will be a fight to the death at the end.

yeah, laurie is helping them escape, but i didn't think meg knew all about it. maybe meg heard things and put the pieces together after catching tom. not like laurie is a good person, now that we know she pummels the guilty remnant over with her car. also, from what we've seen the guilty remnant seem to be local chapters operating independently of each other. i thought laurie/tom were operating in a different city now, so not even really sure how meg got involved.