Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

Shoegaze and Dream pop thread. Talk about whatever you want in regards to the genre.

Original Post:

Hi everyone.

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, but can anyone recommend any shoegaze records that are available (or pre-orders) for reasonable prices? I'm looking to add to my collection.

So far, I'm familiar with MBV, Slowdive, Ride, Anne, Whirr, Nothing.

Also, aside from shoegaze records, if anyone can recommend any rainy day records too, then that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit - I'm looking for dream pop albums too.

For some classics:

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (Precursor to shoegaze. Ride sounds like them a lot. Just got reissued in the UK.)

Jesus and the Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas (Reissues are coming in a couple weeks.)

I'd also recommend albums by Catherine Wheel, Chapterhouse, and Swervedriver but they haven't been reissued. Original pressings shouldn't cost more than $40.

Newer albums with shoegaze-y sounds:

The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

Deerhunter - Microcastle/Weird Era Cont

Wild Nothing - Nocturne

Beach House - Bloom (more dream pop, but whatever)

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

not really a Shoegaze expert, but definitely check out Beach Fossils, especially the "What A Pleasure" EP as well as the "Clash The Truth" LP.

Wild Nothing's "Nocturne", as itsgoodtobefree pointed out, is a totally awesome album! Uplifting and joyful and at the same time melancholic as hell. Also suitable if you dig The Smiths for example (my opinion).

Ride sound like Stone roses? :blink:

Err, not really. The rather feeble very late stuff perhaps, but the good early EPs and first album are JAMC-style screaming feedback with nice tunes underneath.

Youre also missing some of the greats on the scene - the superb Pale Saints, Kitchens of Distinction, Lush, Moose plus the precursers like House of Love, Loop, Spacemen 3.

Chapterhouse, Catherine Wheel and Swervedriver are all great bands, but not shoegazer or dreampop, more indie-rock. To those I would also add one of my faves, "The Edsel Auctioneer" and a slightly later band "My Vitriol".

if the OP wants some more modern bands doing that sound, check out "Dreams of being Pure at Heart" and "Jezabels"

Slowdive have a couple of cool related projects through Graveface Records: Eternal, which is a great 10", and Monster Movie, which is not so strictly shoegaze. Early Starflyer 59 is great (Silver, Gold, Americana). A local shop here put out an obscure local 90's band's, Minnow, 7" that I really love.

Then there's a whole bunch of impure shoegaze bands. Socalled "blackgaze" for the heavy side. Boris has recently been mixing a lot of shoegaze elements into songs, though Coaltar of the Deepers did that first and use some death metal influences occasionally in their poppy gaze.

Ride sound like Stone roses? :blink:

Err, not really. The rather feeble very late stuff perhaps, but the good early EPs and first album are JAMC-style screaming feedback with nice tunes underneath.

Youre also missing some of the greats on the scene - the superb Pale Saints, Kitchens of Distinction, Lush, Moose plus the precursers like House of Love, Loop, Spacemen 3.

Chapterhouse, Catherine Wheel and Swervedriver are all great bands, but not shoegazer or dreampop, more indie-rock. To those I would also add one of my faves, "The Edsel Auctioneer" and a slightly later band "My Vitriol".

if the OP wants some more modern bands doing that sound, check out "Dreams of being Pure at Heart" and "Jezabels"

Hmm. I am not sure whether you could say Chapterhouse aren't shoegazer, but some of your other suggestions are...but to be honest, I am going off definitions when the records came out. I am not 100% how history views these and it's always a but fuzzy. Some decent suggestions otherwise. Lush's early stuff is shoegaze, but they went a bit indie rock later on. I had a massive crush on Miki!

I still pull out the early Ride EPs. They look great and still sound good to me.

I love rainy day records;

The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place
American Football - American Football (some might say it's not rainy day but I think so)
The Antlers - Hospice
The Antlers - In The Attic Of The Universe
The Antlers - Palace
Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) - On Time Spent Waiting
Keaton Henson - Birthdays
Keaton Henson - Dear
Portishead - Dummy
Red House Painters - Down Colorful Hill

Those are my favorites :-)

This is a lot of information (music?) overload. In a good way, of course.

I'm slowly making my way through all the music. As I've said before, I really appreciate all the responses, keep them coming if anyone has more suggestions to offer!

Also, I don't mean to sound unappreciative, but please keep in mind that I'm asking for records that are still obtainable at fair prices. It's a bit dissapointing when I really enjoy a recommended album only to find out that it's out of print or way too expensive.

Yes, the universe of shoegaze and it's spinoffs is more than a lifetime of listening can take in... Never thought I would get sucked into the vortex of it.

OP list is core, and alot from each of the posts are as well.

Did I skim too fast and miss Lush (from the early era?)  I have the American release of "Split"- my favorite of theirs.

Nadja and The Angelic Process are ambient-drone-metal-doom-gaze. War music/cadence with those obscure vocals behind wall of guitars!

Center of the Sun "Machine Gun" is gloompopgaze  (I have a spare black copy I'll sell you for cheap - check their bandcamp and listen. They promptly disassembled and members are doing projects with Deathwish)  Props to lexicondevil for the rec. on them

Nocturnes "Aokigahara" is folkgaze/ gloompop  -addictive and highly recommended!!!!!!!!! Emma Ruth Rundle

True Widow is 'stonegaze' - slow and addictive as all get-out!

Junius  (Boston, USA) and Alcest (already mentioned, Neige from France) are 'metalgaze', some consider the latter black metal elements, but just some tracks.   Just about anything Neige has touched I like, except for the latest.

Les Discrets and Amesouers would fall in the there as well. (French metalgaze with some screeching vocals)

More to check out... :)

But I would bet you would like Cocteau Twins and Lush the best.

Shoegaze - 

• Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
  • Depreciation Guild - Spirit Youth

Dream Pop - 

•  Craft Spells - Idle Labor
  •  M83 - Saturdays = Youth
  •  Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
  •  Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Belong
  •  Tycho - Awake 
  •  Twin Shadow - Forget
  •  Washed Out - Paracosm
  •  Wild Nothing - Nocturne
  •  

Rainy Day -

•  Beach House - Myth
  •  Bon Iver - Self Titled
  •  Real Estate - Atlas

I think some of this stuff might be price-ier but listed them anyway in case you wanted to listen to it and liked it enough to spend a few extra bones on a record.