Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

6 minutes ago, blackhouse records said:

Not sure if this completely falls into the category, but I heard a band called Gleemer from Denver, CO(?), and I wish this would get pressed on vinyl.  They have a Bandcamp, but they don't have any LP's out (only CD/CS).  

Maybe someone can convince them someday...

I dig Gleemer. I own two of their albums on the bandcamps. I would be into wax.

new Kestrels lp up for pre-order - http://goo.gl/4A9ZxY

Wax looks super, and the record is AMAZING.

First track released available here: 

I know a lot of you dug that We Need Secrets record that came out on Saint Marie, this is that guy's main band.

Edited by hookedonsonics

1 hour ago, freedumb said:

Did not realize the label Sonic Unyon still existed... been quite some time since I've heard anything come out from them.

yeah they really scaled back on label stuff, but have started up again on that side.  they do a LOT of distro stuff and have their hands in a bunch of things, including this festival called Supercrawl in Hamilton.  Lot of good work there.

2 hours ago, freedumb said:

Did not realize the label Sonic Unyon still existed... been quite some time since I've heard anything come out from them.

After Ringo Deathstarr's Mauve, they went quiet for a year or so, but then started up again. Good info from 'hookedonsonics' as usual!

4 hours ago, freedumb said:

Dreaded double post. While editing -- it's CAD not USD, so I think it's about $28ppd and change. Not tooooo bad from the Great White North for a single LP.

Edited by drds89

4 hours ago, hookedonsonics said:

yeah they really scaled back on label stuff, but have started up again on that side.  they do a LOT of distro stuff and have their hands in a bunch of things, including this festival called Supercrawl in Hamilton.  Lot of good work there.

Weird coincidence... my buddy is having a showing next month at an art gallery for the Supercrawl!  Guess it makes sense that Sonic Unyon would take part since their offices are right in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Crescendo - Unless

"Cant believe this hasnt been repped here before but I cant find it.  Fantastic shoegaze-y effort from this LA-based quintet, still have the lovely limited splatter vinyl RIYL: the new DIIV

https://wewereneverbeingboring.bandcamp.com/album/wwnbb-077-unless "

I made a separate thread but everyone "out there" hates music

Edited by shamrocks

On 9/9/2016 at 0:17 PM, shamrocks said:

Crescendo - Unless

"Cant believe this hasnt been repped here before but I cant find it.  Fantastic shoegaze-y effort from this LA-based quintet, still have the lovely limited splatter vinyl RIYL: the new DIIV

https://wewereneverbeingboring.bandcamp.com/album/wwnbb-077-unless "

I made a separate thread but everyone "out there" hates music

's very good indeed!  I hear DIIV vibes in the music as well. Just goes to show it pays to check out as many bands as you can on a label that has a group you like a lot ("Be Forest" here for me)

I learned of some interesting bands in this thread. And while I consider myself a fan of the genre, I feel complete led to remark that it's all a rehash of old stuff.

The Last band I heard that really dazzled me was cheatahs who played at my neighborhood record store for RSD a few years ago. They aren't the most original but the songs are well crafted.

Suggestions on bands pushing Shoegaze forward?

I learned of some interesting bands in this thread. And while I consider myself a fan of the genre, I feel complete led to remark that it's all a rehash of old stuff.

The Last band I heard that really dazzled me was cheatahs who played at my neighborhood record store for RSD a few years ago. They aren't the most original but the songs are well crafted.

9 hours ago, Monastic_mike said:

I like early Cheatahs; their new one sounds like an entirely different band. So I shelved it for 6 months, and pulled it out pretending it was not Cheatahs -- it's much better.

I'm not sure what you mean by pushing shoegaze forward? There are so many 'undiscovered' or simply lesser known early 90's bands being pressed now (Thank you, Saint Marie and CT), and to hear their nuances of the varying elements of 'shoegaze' is great for those of us not immersed in the scene at that time. There apparently were 00's bands keeping the torch lit, too (ex: Airiel, Asobi Seksu,...)  I'm always 10 bands behind on catching up with new 'old' bands.

Do you consider the likes of Anne, The Black Ryder, Nothing, Whirr, Death Of Lovers, Iris (RIP), Indoor voices, Modern Charms, We Need Secrets, Stargazer Lillies, Static Daydream. Threading, Venera 4,  Wildhoney, P4S and dozens other newgaze bands just copycat or static?

Or do you mean like more experimental elements 'pushing it forward' like PSUB which also have the ethereal vocals? I'm not sure what you're looking for? Maybe the same complaint we're seeing in postrock/metal - 'post-postrock' -- a select few bands managing to keep things fresh, adding some different elements and still managing fresh riffs and structure, or merging elements of other genres?

Maybe if you consider the noise element of original shoegaze and how Scott Cortez projects... to modern day APTBS "noisegaze", -- is that pushing it forward?' Newer bands put their own signature on it, without being totally copycat, and also create new riffs which are fresh and just as addictive (ex: some Ringo Deathstarr)

Or how the dreamy element grew into a TONNE of groups, so dreamgaze is massive - yes some copycats, but still plenty of fresh sounds (ex: Lowtide with male:female bass player-vocalists)

Folkgaze? Nocturnes

Stonegaze? True Widow

Psychgaze? No Joy

Dronegaze? 93mmfts

Metaldoomambientdronegaze? The Angelic Process, Nadja/Aidan Baker

Gloom/doomgaze? HANL, Miserable/King Woman, Ides Of Gemini, Center Of The Sun (rip),etc.

___gaze: fill in the blank

I've left so, so many out. 

This is constantly my world of discovery; I post way too much here for knowing so little, but appreciate all the scouts posting recs.