Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

For what it's worth. I was around the first time around and I kind of get what Mike is saying. Some good suggestions by drds89 though.

Mine is Nothing. Who on record have elements of the shoegaze sound, but live are much more than their records...adding a powerful rock sound to it. After seeing them (last night second time) they really grew on me.

Thanks. What in referring to is that it seems to me that most showgaze is either a "Slowdive" band or a "MBV" band. With only a few exceptions I haven't heard any bands that take the trademarks of showgaze and make something new with it. 

As I said, I liked Rev Rev Rev but it's just more MBV style music. It's just taking the Kevin Shields formula and recreating it. 

Ive liked all the various bands I've read in this thread, don't get me wrong. But it's pretty much all just a new version of an old formula. So my question was more to the effect of: who is moving the genre forward? Who is expanding on the sound and technique?

36 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

Thanks. What in referring to is that it seems to me that most showgaze is either a "Slowdive" band or a "MBV" band. With only a few exceptions I haven't heard any bands that take the trademarks of showgaze and make something new with it. 

As I said, I liked Rev Rev Rev but it's just more MBV style music. It's just taking the Kevin Shields formula and recreating it. 

Ive liked all the various bands I've read in this thread, don't get me wrong. But it's pretty much all just a new version of an old formula. So my question was more to the effect of: who is moving the genre forward? Who is expanding on the sound and technique?

Sounds like you're kind of just "over" gaze, dude.

13 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

I disagree. Why buy records for new bands just regurgitating bands I already have records for?

Exactly my point...I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

You're not digging any of the new stuff coming out and only see people regurgitating stuff you've already heard...sure seems like you're over the whole "scene" now.

Not trying to start a fight or anything, just making an observation.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

1 minute ago, Monastic_mike said:

So, by your logic, if one is a shoegaze fan, one should buy Loveless recreated by another band three times a year forever?

no thanks. I was around when those original bands were still playing and putting out records so maybe I'm not as accustomed to homogenized music. Who knows.

No, I'm just saying if you can't see any difference between what new bands are doing now and what MBV did in '91, or you can't find any bands doing something you think is new and refreshing maybe you're just not as into the genre as a whole as you think.

People have been talking about tons of different bands in here throughout the thread, and if you can't find any bands doing something new/different out of the recommendations or any bands on your own...either you're over it, or just being lazy/not listening to the recommendations. There are obviously going to be similarities to the classics in a genre.

I've listened to more than a dozen bands in the last week or two who I read about in this very thread. None were bad or unlistenable or anything. It's that they all stay tight to the formula that's been made by the classic bands. Which for me is boring.

several bands have flirted with 'gaze to excellent effect:

M83's early albums, Catherine Wheel'a Chrome, Curve's Cuckoo, hell Smashing Pumpkins even used some 'gaze elements yet didn't sound like MBV or Slowdive. Imagine that.

If "the scene" means regurgitating itself forever, then yeah, I guess I am over it. Seems odd to me but what do I know.

Edited by Monastic_mike

6 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

I've listened to more than a dozen bands in the last week or two who I read about in this very thread. None were bad or unlistenable or anything. It's that they all stay tight to the formula that's been made by the classic bands. Which for me is boring.

M83's early albums, Catherine Wheel'a Chrome, Curve's Cuckoo, hell Smashing Pumpkins even used some 'gaze elements yet didn't sound like MBV or Slowdive. Imagine that.

If "the scene" means regurgitating itself forever, then yeah, I guess I am over it. Seems odd to me but what do I know.

Plenty of bands are doing interesting things. You are just being close minded.

The blueprint has been made in so many genres but that doesnt mean everything after is Boeing

5 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

The most recent of those albums came out...what...a decade ago at least? You're only fueling my point here.

If nothing has come out in a genre in more than a decade that you can really get behind, maybe you don't like that genre anymore and these albums that you do like are more of a nostalgia trip for you.

New stuff can come out and be original and worthwhile without necessarily changing the landscape of a genre, or pushing its limits. While it would be really nice to see some of that, clearly we haven't found it for you and you haven't found it for yourself, so maybe it isn't out there.

If you change the sound and formula of these bands too much, are they even gaze bands anymore? For me the real signature of gaze is slowish rock with tons of reverb. Lose too much of either of those things and you're just I playing rock or pop. That still leaves tons of room for bands to do their own thing as far as I'm concerned and I hear a difference in a lot of these newer bands.

I wish I could be more help, but I'm by no means an authority in the genre. I enjoy the classics and I enjoy some of the new stuff too, but I'm not the sort to go looking for the hottest new gaze bands. Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for...

The most recent of those albums came out...what...a decade ago at least? You're only fueling my point here.

If nothing has come out in a genre in more than a decade that you can really get behind, maybe you don't like that genre anymore and these albums that you do like are more of a nostalgia trip for you.

New stuff can come out and be original and worthwhile without necessarily changing the landscape of a genre, or pushing its limits. While it would be really nice to see some of that, clearly we haven't found it for you and you haven't found it for yourself, so maybe it isn't out there.

If you change the sound and formula of these bands too much, are they even gaze bands anymore? For me the real signature of gaze is slowish rock with tons of reverb. Lose too much of either of those things and you're just I playing rock or pop. That still leaves tons of room for bands to do their own thing as far as I'm concerned and I hear a difference in a lot of these newer bands.

I wish I could be more help, but I'm by no means an authority in the genre. I enjoy the classics and I enjoy some of the new stuff too, but I'm not the sort to go looking for the hottest new gaze bands. Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for...

2 hours ago, Monastic_mike said:

Ignorance is bliss it seems. Enjoy it.

I guess I'll have to take your word on that one. I may not be an authority on the genre, but you're the one being ignorant (and close-minded).

I'm not saying anyone needs to buy any records they don't enjoy, or feel are a rehash of what they've already heard, but it sounds like you're really not giving any of the newer bands a real chance. And hey, maybe you're just way too cool for us. Maybe if we get more people coming in here talking about shoegaze 101 bands and then complaining that every band post-'93 are just carbon copies this thread would probably be way more interesting. :rolleyes:

It just feels like you came in here specifically to complain about something that you're not doing anything about (hey, start a band that sounds like what you're looking for!) but not really contribute anything to the thread. Whatever your goal here, I'm just going to ignore you from this point on because you're a real bummer.

10 hours ago, Monastic_mike said:

see next post

Edited by parkinglot

10 hours ago, Monastic_mike said:

So are you looking for bands that have "flirted with gaze", or bands that are actually classified as "shoegaze" first and foremost?  It sure sounds like the former.

Obviously the band name is cringe worthy, and counter intuitive to the point anyone here is getting at about the genre moving forward, but this album is great.  https://thebilindabutchers.bandcamp.com/album/heaven

Also I'm sure it's been recommended, but Have A Nice Life's Deathconciousness could be a good one for you to check out.  It's one of my favourite records from the *modern era*. 

Edited by parkinglot

44 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It just feels like you came in here specifically to complain about something that you're not doing anything about (hey, start a band that sounds like what you're looking for!) but not really contribute anything to the thread. Whatever your goal here, I'm just going to ignore you from this point on because you're a real bummer.

Nope. I came to see about finding some new shoegaze bands that I hadn't heard of.  I hadn't listened to any in a while and was playing some "classic" shoegaze records and decided to inquire about new bands. The bands I had read about here are all about the classic sound, thus I made it a point to ask about NEW bands who are doing NEW things with the genre. Unfortunately, the prevailing thinking is that shoegaze is what it is and should never be anything else. Which is ignorant.

And for all your smugness, you've not mentioned a single new band.

As for me name dropping albums that are a few decades old, name a recent one. Name a new band who isn't considered shoegaze but flirts with its elements. I'm listening....

3 hours ago, Monastic_mike said:

Ignorance is bliss it seems. Enjoy it.

I was sympathetic at first, but seeing the back-and-forth with Randy Savage, I think he's right.

With this statement,  I think you've gone over the top into elitism/snobbery and just probably need to 'do one' as the Brits say with regard to shoegaze in its current form.

Every genre is going through this, and like every individual band, one  either stays with them, or they leave.  Copy-cats and "me-too" bands are not going away. If they are that cookie-cutter with 'the formula', no sense complaining, they will die from lack of sales/attendance, etc.

Nope. I came to see about finding some new shoegaze bands that I hadn't heard of.  I hadn't listened to any in a while and was playing some "classic" shoegaze records and decided to inquire about new bands. The bands I had read about here are all about the classic sound, thus I made it a point to ask about NEW bands who are doing NEW things with the genre. Unfortunately, the prevailing thinking is that shoegaze is what it is and should never be anything else. Which is ignorant.

As for me name dropping albums that are a few decades old, name a recent one. Name a new band who isn't considered shoegaze but flirts with its elements. I'm listening....

Well, you did just get a few more suggestions from parkinglot, but Nightmare Air is reasonably enjoyable and not 100% formulaic. They may actually have been mentioned in here at some point too, I don't know.

I've repeatedly said that I'm not expert in the genre. I listen to what people are suggesting in here who know way more bands than I do and don't go looking for the new thing in this genre myself. You on the other hand have posed yourself as some kind of expert, and that you've been around since the beginning of shoegaze.

As far as suggesting non-shoegaze bands...why would anyone really be doing that in a thread devoted to gaze and dream pop? Anyway. For real this time I'm out. I'm through dealing with you.

Well, you did just get a few more suggestions from parkinglot, but Nightmare Air is reasonably enjoyable and not 100% formulaic. They may actually have been mentioned in here at some point too, I don't know.

I've repeatedly said that I'm not expert in the genre. I listen to what people are suggesting in here who know way more bands than I do and don't go looking for the new thing in this genre myself. You on the other hand have posed yourself as some kind of expert, and that you've been around since the beginning of shoegaze.

As far as suggesting non-shoegaze bands...why would anyone really be doing that in a thread devoted to gaze and dream pop? Anyway. For real this time I'm out. I'm through dealing with you.