Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

Cigarettes After Sex have finally announced their (official) debut album, which is great news because they've been on very high rotation lately. Not sure if they have enough of a following for a dedicated thread but if someone wants to make one go for it. For the uninitiated these guys play downbeat dream pop/slowcore. Really chilled out stuff with a dark sort of aesthetic. Available on standard black/limited picture disc or cd.

Bundles and what not here:
https://kontrabandstor.es/partisanrecords/artists/cigarettes-after-sex

Alternative links for pre-orders through other retailers on the bands homepage. Release date is 9th June.

8 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

just recently grabbed their first 12" EP. Really good stuff. The artwork to the announced LP though is just really lame.. I'm stoked nonetheless and hope for some additional artwork to come with the final release.

Yeah I agree the art (if what you can see is final) is somewhat lacking. Still putting this on my want pile regardless. Even their "lost" 2011 album does it for me so I'm pretty much happy to jump in on this as soon as I have the money.

• 2 weeks later...

btw, two new albums just came out on Saint Marie (possibly the best shoegaze label going) and you should give them your time.

Secret Shine

http://www.saintmarierecords.com/products/585927-secret-shine-there-is-only-now

Seasurfer

http://www.saintmarierecords.com/products/585928-seasurfer-under-the-milkyway-who-cares

the Secret Shine album especially is gorgeous front to back.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else over the top about Alison's Halo Eyedazzler getting pressed to vinyl, or Alison's Halo at all?

AH (well, Adam) tediously went through their lo-fi recordings to prepare them for the Omnian /CT release. I don't know why, but by far my favorite "Beautiful Noise" group - never get tired of their limited repertoire, and glad for this revival that has brought these small bands to light. 

Alison's Halo PO

There is a new video for "Dozen" as well.

Edited by drds89

Guess so, oh well.

Kindling/Kestrels split today. Physical only at 2 shops in MA. Listen to 3 of the 4 tracks on YT and sample the 4th. Pretty sure I'm going to be on this one first pass through. WNS also recording, so 2017 is picking up interest for me finally.

Kindling / Kestrels Split RSD 2017

Don, your knowledge of things Shoegaze and Post-Rock eclipses my own and most others around here I suspect.  I am, by nature, excited about most things you post.  I will probably wait for that upcoming "bundle price point" from Omnian...wish there was a limited version to convince me to pull the trigger earlier.  At first I thought you said Omnivore (not Omnian) which got me VERY excited.

Will pick this up for sure

On 4/22/2017 at 3:27 PM, shamrocks said:

Don, your knowledge of things Shoegaze and Post-Rock eclipses my own and most others around here I suspect.  I am, by nature, excited about most things you post.  I will probably wait for that upcoming "bundle price point" from Omnian...wish there was a limited version to convince me to pull the trigger earlier.  At first I thought you said Omnivore (not Omnian) which got me VERY excited.

Will pick this up for sure

Alison's Halo is ear candy (the other two I listened through 1 time, need more listens) and 98% of shoegaze I learned from others here or IG. Sometimes just a mention, rarely if only on YouTube there will be those things on the Right hand side as suggestions, but I rarely scout anymore. 

Postrock was definitely my gateway back into music, and did a lot of scouting years ago. But now, again, most of the discoveries are made by my fellow community members

It seems like an odd combo to like, but I'm thinking similar to postrock, in shoegaze the vocals are often buried behind the music or another instrument, and the lyrical content is there but not the spotlight. My brain doesn't have to decode the lyrical meaning (which for some reason it must, and is taxing), so I guess that's what draws me. Thanks for your kind words, and to everyone on this thread. That's why I try to do giveaways /good prices + extra stuff because really I have TAKEN/learned more here than contributed, except for mere opinion on likes.

One day I hope to have time to scout and find new bands again. Pandora is well-named; there are so many undiscovered basement, teenage bands out there it's unreal.

In the meantime, waiting for the Kestrels/Kindling split to get posted online tomorrow since I don't live in MA. 288, two different colors, for each band. I imagine since Kestrels/WNS Chad is from Canada, his colorway will ship from there, and Kindling,... hopefully US, like their recent, No Generation EP --- they got some pink copies from overseas.

tl;dr

The Flying Saucer Attack reissue is heavenly, great quality vinyl and packaging. Reasonably priced, seems like it's already going quick at many places so those interested may want to grab one off bullmoose before they are gone, it's already on back order at my shop and many other spots

Saint Marie ought to have its own dedicated thread. Announced today...

Secret Shine "Singles" /250 Black /750 color: 8 tracks: the 5 brilliant from "Greater Than..." + the 3 from "Loveblind" / won't be out until June though.

By pressing it this way, the pure collectors don't have to worry about their OG 10" GTG value from a competing a 10" RP, and those who want to hear these on vinyl for $15.99 (+ 3 more songs) vs. $75 are happy.  Who knows, though, maybe demand for the OG GTG will drop? Every band, every release seems to have its own supply:demand dynamics when it comes to represses.

12 hours ago, drds89 said:

Saint Marie ought to have its own dedicated thread.

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 8:21 AM, jrodan said:

btw, two new albums just came out on Saint Marie (possibly the best shoegaze label going) and you should give them your time.

Secret Shine

http://www.saintmarierecords.com/products/585927-secret-shine-there-is-only-now

Seasurfer

http://www.saintmarierecords.com/products/585928-seasurfer-under-the-milkyway-who-cares

the Secret Shine album especially is gorgeous front to back.

I feel the same way, yet no one seemed to notice my post haha. that new secret shine album is gonna be in my top 10 list at the end of the year for sure.