Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

Can someone give me an example of Shoegaze? I'm having a hard time determining what makes a band/album into Shoegaze.

Or a quick definition would work too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlC5CvDbS4A

I'm not a shoegaze expert by any means, but I'll try to do my best. Whether the "Shoegaze" label is official or not, it's used to describe a subgenre of alternative rock. It's characterized by bands that often have distorted sounding guitars with quiet or hush-like vocals. Most of the time, people just use the term to describe bands that sound like, or are influenced by My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride, etc.

From what I've heard, the term originated from some band that had this similar sound, but the singer didn't know the lyrics to the songs, so he taped the lyrics to the floor and sang while staring at the floor. Hence the term "Shoegaze."

I agree that the extensive amount of subgenre labels out there could get pretty annoying, but when people refer to "shoegaze," I have a good idea of what kind of bands they're talking about.

A lot of what I said could be total BS, so if anyone wants, feel free to correct me. It's just what I have gathered up within the past few months.

Got this We Need Secrets in the mail today- first spin says it's pretty good, does a bit of MBV cloning, but really like it on first listen-

http://weneedsecrets.bandcamp.com

I played drums on "Uncommiitted Crimes" on this record!

The front man (and the drummer of a few of the tracks also) is in Kestrels.  They have an awesome 12" EP out also, I posted about it here - http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/104214-kestrels-the-moon-is-shining-our-way-ep-ffo-ringo-deathstarr-speedy-ortiz-bilinda-butchers/

Yo shoegazers....

Can anyone recommend any Slowdive or Jesus and Mary Chain shirts? I don't want to blindly buy a shirt from somewhere only to find out that it's shitty quality or whatever.

Official or bootleg, it doesn't matter to me. Although, I've seen official Slowdive shirts before, and I didn't like it very much.

+1 for Nadja.

Anyone wanna rec some darker/heavier takes on shoegaze? Released this year preferably? And not Guilty of Everything, please. 

Baker cranks out more than I can keep up with; prolific doesn't even begin to describe him

The Angelic Process is the sine qua non. But no more from them - don't know that I've run into anything even close to the heavy/atmospheric/doom/metal/gaze except for Nadja / Broken Spine projects - I'm sure there must be copycats out there.

Glass Realms - Nice Slowdive shirts! I like the second and third one in particular.

Cool, I was about to buy that one, but I thought I would ask around first before I made the purchase. What color did you choose?

Baker cranks out more than I can keep up with; prolific doesn't even begin to describe him

The Angelic Process is the sine qua non. But no more from them - don't know that I've run into anything even close to the heavy/atmospheric/doom/metal/gaze except for Nadja / Broken Spine projects - I'm sure there must be copycats out there.

Some Jesu fits the heavy shoegaze bill too, and I would vouch for Nadja as well

Cool, I was about to buy that one, but I thought I would ask around first before I made the purchase. What color did you choose?

First I had the white one,to bad it doesn't fit anymore and now I'm with the black one.

Also purchased this one a few days ago.

http://blackandwhitetshirts.bigcartel.com/product/slowdive