Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

A lot of stuff on that list I need to check out. I'm surprised to see ToT at #1. Great album, but I don't really feel like it's shoegaze, more like straight rock. GoE had a lot more shoegaze elements to it than ToT.

I found a lot of real good stuff I missed on their list for 2015, excited to dig through this one!

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I found a lot of real good stuff I missed on their list for 2015, excited to dig through this one!

Nice to see Lazy Legs high up on the list, and I don't have a problem with ToT here, though agree with everyone GoE and DYTC are way  more in the genre and ToT is radio alt or pop or rock or something, though some tracks are -gazey.

Very, very surprised not to see the Split with Presents For Sally and 93mmfs on there -- I suspect it was an oversight. My favorite P4S tracks yet. LSD.... let me down a bit tbh. I'll post tops on IG this weekend (hopefully).

Lots of people putting Kodama on their postrock list, whereas I see them more in the black/metalgaze vein again. Not enough reverb I reckon...

Yes indeed quite a few to check out on this list!

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds exactly what I would have expected them sound like in 2017. Also, it also doesn't sound much different from something like "40 Days" off Souvlaki.

Anyway, I'm glad they started off with something upbeat. I would have been a huge mistake for them to come back with something slow and plodding.

2 hours ago, Demon Fuzz said:

doesn't sound like old slowdive 

I know it's still a little early on in the day to call it, but I can say with adequate certainty that this is the least intelligent post I'll read on the boards today.

Edited by Derek™

Souvlaki really doesn't sound anything like Just For A Day, one song doesn't really clue us in to how the rest of the album will sound. Maybe there is a "Primal" on there?

Awesome that they are releasing a new record, new Slowdive, new Ride, so cool. I saw Slowdive in 2014 and they sounded excellent, hope this new album brings them back to North America again.

Souvlaki has an overall cleaner sound because Ed Bueller was brought in to mix it and to make it sound less muddy/layered. If this first track is anything to go by, this new album will have a similar controlled noise sound to Just For a Day. I really hope Simon Scott had a hand in the production. His solo ambient/electronic/soundscape output is really good and can compliment the music.

Not sure how reliable this source is but looks like Catherine Wheel reissues may be on the list for this year: http://www.alternapop.com/2017/01/13/catherine-wheels-ferment-and-chrome-to-be-re-released-on-180-gram-vinyl/

the 180-gram language makes me wonder if these are going to be Plain releases... seems like they would be up their alley unfortunately.