Shipping in bulk to the UK

We're a new label and with all the bumps and usual obstacles we recently learned a valuable lesson, steeped in our naivete of course. We worked a deal with another label in the UK that they would take a fair share of our release in trade for theirs to offer them on both sides of the pond at the lowest cost possible in light of the shipping gouges. When the boxes arrived, customs in the UK slathered on some outrageous Customs/VAT charges that equalled the shipping. We did—apparently foolishly—declare a reduced value to get some compensation if they were lost, but no money changed hands, nothing was sold, etc… they basically took the value, PLUS what we paid in shipping to our post office to arrive at a total…to tax again. Basically taxing the reciever for money we paid. I know we obviously went about something wrong, but we're looking for advice and tips on SOP and best practice to get aorund this. It can't be uncommon for labels to swap goods. I've been told we should have just labled the value at $1 and been done with it, but I'm not sure how 3 boxes, of anything, with a stated value of a couple bucks wouldn't arose suspicion. Live and learn of course, but looking for advice or guidance regardless since we've had other inquiries in acquiring our next releases.

Thanks for the time … skewer away!

Cheers,

Kevin

I don't think sending boxes of records and declaring them at $1 will work.

I live in the UK and how customs decide to charge is beyond me, eg, ordered a small print from Japan, caught by cutoms, ended up pretty much paying double the original cost, recently ordered an undertray for my car from Japan (4ft x 4ft Box), expensive, straight to my door no tax!

I got this (See below) sending as a gift for like $50 (£36) may help, also heard certain couriers are pulled more than others.

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

• Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters, see paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.
  • If you are sent a gift with a value of £36 or less, and which complies ,with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4. it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.
  • Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £120 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.

There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the Helpline for further information.
top ^
2.4 Gifts

Goods sent as a gift that are over £36 in value are liable to import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £120 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.
To qualify as a gift:

• the customs declaration must be completed correctly
  • the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary

Something anyone shipping goods to the UK should be aware of is customs charges, they are an absolute joke.

I know that I personally no longer order from certain labels as they refuse to mark the goods at a lower value, which adds an extra $20 minimum fee to my order.

The rule is:

If you order or purchase goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you have to pay:

• Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135 ($230)
  • import VAT (20%) on goods with a value that exceeds £15 ($25)

This is on top of an £8 ($13) processing fee.

So please think about this before sending records to your friends across the pond!  ;)

Thanks. I keep hearing it can be, sometimes, very arbitrary in what they pull the trigger on. I heard some feedback on the same thing you mentioned regarding records: a guy ordered two separate records. One came to the door with no charges, the other was nailed with fees. Both essentailly the same product/process.

In addition to what Gregor has said:

The £8 fee is Royal Mail only. Other carriers charge other amounts. UPS seem to charge £11.

VAT is charged on the value of the goods (when over £15) PLUS the shipping. So if you buy something from the USA for $30 with $20 shipping, VAT is 20% of $50 = $10. If there's no breakdown on the package (I had one recently where there was nowhere to put the shipping amount) then they go with whatever amount is there.

I'm at work and don't have my bookmarks with me at the moment, but Customs Duty is in single figures percentage-wise and is waived if it works out as less than a certain amount (I have £9 in my brain, but that could be wrong).

These fees apply to bringing stuff in from outside the EU. I believe they apply to things brought in from places in EFTA (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein), but I'm not 100% sure as I've not found a webpage that is clear on the subject and have only tried it once (from Norway - didn't get charged).

Sometimes you don't get charged as some things slip through for some reason. Don't rely on this. Surface mail MAY help, but again I've only done this once (from Australia - no charge).

What tco said about gifts is right, but be careful. Again, I don't have my bookmarks with me right now, but there's rules about multiple items (multiple gifts from one person to many people or from many people to one person - I think it's the former) and there may even be something about them needing to be wrapped up. Also, regular gifts from the same address to the same address looks suspicious.

The receiver is legally responsible for the value being accurately declared. What the punishment is for being caught, I don't know.

Know your seller. Usually I test buy something first of all that is worth less than £15. A lot of sellers make it very clear they won't help with customs declarations, some say in various oblique ways that they will, some are unaware of the issue and some you can't work out unless you ask or buy. It appears you know your seller though.

There are also rules about having your own property sent to you (say you move from the US to the UK and want your things sent over). i don't know the rules on this as I've always lived in the UK, but I think there's something about having to have owned something for six months. I'm really not familiar with this one but look it up as it might help.

Guest deleted

Had to look up the term... not a very flattering descriptor! :D

My 2 cents... never use UPS or Fed Ex (couriers), as they seem to always come with customs fees. Low value gift usually does the trick.

Thanks ExtraFox…yes, I do know the other party. Very well. We're working out a deal to cover it, but … blah blah…thanks for all the advice. It seems 'technically' we could mark the value at the buck extra it was gonna be sold at since neither us or the other label tried this out for money or profit. We were just trying to get our respective names a little buzz with a shared audience. Thanks for the feedback and guidance … much appreciated.

These fees apply to bringing stuff in from outside the EU. I believe they apply to things brought in from places in EFTA (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein), but I'm not 100% sure as I've not found a webpage that is clear on the subject and have only tried it once (from Norway - didn't get charged).

I ordered 2 x LP's from the same seller in Switzerland last year, maybe 4 weeks apart - one hit with charges, the other straight to the door no probs. Really no rhyme or reason what they seem to pull.

This thread is going to get buried many pages down very soon, so in case anyone is looking for information on customs fees finds this long after it was started, remember, things change and this thread is probably no longer accurate.

Also, check your invoice. UPS tried to overcharge me today. When I challenged them, they spotted their mistake and waived the £11 handling fee. Result.