No Sleep Records test press sale

I mean, it's totally fine to take the $0.99 bid or bid up a little passed a dollar in the first few days, but some of those listings are ALREADY passed $30 and they've been up for less than two hours. They're going to sit high until the last few hours when the prices go bat shit crazy. People want the satisfaction of weeding out people who can't afford the higher bids to get less competition instead of getting a better deal.

These always prove that people have no idea how to bid anymore.

Yeah. I always see these sales and go "damn, I would love a couple of those", but when those things hit $100 within a few hours of them going up I come crashing back down to reality.

Maybe one day when I have all the money in the world.

I mean, it's totally fine to take the $0.99 bid or bid up a little passed a dollar in the first few days, but some of those listings are ALREADY passed $30 and they've been up for less than two hours. They're going to sit high until the last few hours when the prices go bat shit crazy. People want the satisfaction of weeding out people who can't afford the higher bids to get less competition instead of getting a better deal.

Yeah. I always see these sales and go "damn, I would love a couple of those", but when those things hit $100 within a few hours of them going up I come crashing back down to reality.

Maybe one day when I have all the money in the world.

At least sometimes these Test Press auctions go (in part) towards charity, like when Polyvinyl RC does it's TP auctions...

(then the high number these tests get bother me less, still sucks to miss out something though)

At least sometimes these Test Press auctions go (in part) towards charity, like when Polyvinyl RC does it's TP auctions...

(then the high number these tests get bother me less, still sucks to miss out something though)

Yeah I like when it's for charity. Then it's nice seeing the high prices and stuff.

I'm sure someday the stars will align and I'll get my hands on a test press I want though.

I feel like by the time that these auctions are over, the high bidders could have gotten these tests for significantly cheaper from Chris.

Yeah, these auctions are for people who've never really seriously thought about buying a test press, they just see rarities and throw all their money at eBay.

Edit: That sounded kinda douchebaggy, all I'm trying to say is, if you're gonna buy tests - spend your money wisely!

I feel like by the time that these auctions are over, the high bidders could have gotten these tests for significantly cheaper from Chris.

Yeah you would think that but I inquired about a TTWTWM test for B&C straight through Chris and he pretty much wanted Ebay prices. I said I couldn't go that high and he then proceeded to tell me that he was going to throw some tests up on ebay soon and maybe I could get it for less...pretty douche move I thought. I then proceeded to sell off my TTWTWM collection because I'll never be able to afford the test to complete the variants.

Edit: This is my personal opinion, but I've always felt like No Sleep was all about the money.

I have heard of people getting tests directly from Chris for cheaper than these eBay auctions. The people that have posted about getting tests from Chris have said they paid around $80 per (give or take $10 or $20 depending on the release). I suppose for some tests he would be more stingy because he knows he could get higher from someone who really wanted it. Which is the biggest fault with these tests.

They have no immediate value to Chris or the label. That's why it's ridiculous that people are so willing to spend $100+ on these instead of try to get them for a good price.

Guest Secular Haze

trying_to_watch_star_wars_with_a_friend_

I don't know about this.  Anyone who's been actively bidding on eBay for more than a month can tell you that "the satisfaction" of having an early top bid means dick.  All you're doing is attracting attention to the auction, putting yourself at risk of starting a bidding war, and giving everyone else more time to consider how to pay for the auction.  Essentially, there is zero benefit to bidding early.  It doesn't "weed" anyone out – people who really want the item are going to throw down a serious bid at the last second, because that's what works.  All it does it phase out the individuals who think they're going to somehow win it for 5 or 10 bucks; and they're honestly not anything to worry about since they pose no threat to serious bidders whatsoever.

To reinforce this idea, I've seen (and have been a part of) an auction where an item begins at $0.99 with no reserve.  Said auctions are usually listed for 7 days – one or two people bid immediately to mark / lock the auction, so the seller can't become discouraged and pull it off the site with 0 bids.  It will then sit - literally sit untouched - for the proceeding 6 days, 23 hours, and 58 minutes.  You know you're in the big league when you're after an item that jumps from $1.04 to $200+ in less than 60 seconds, across 20 bids.

But regardless of how many times myself or anyone else posts the mechanics of eBay and bidding 101 – i.e. no, you were not outbid at the last second by just $1 – there will always be mass confusion and poor assumptions from about 80% of VC users... or at least, those who are participating in the discussion.  Sorry if that sounds pretentious, but it's just something that time has proven again and again.

I wasn't talking about any of the listings that are sitting at $10 or less. There are 9 listings that sit at or above $31 and the auctions haven't been up for 12 hours.

How doesn't bidding high early on discourage others from bidding? Some bidders go into these auctions with the mentality that they will not spend more than a certain amount on the item. Myself being one of those kinds of people. Having a 52 Weeks test press would be awesome, but it's already at $64.50 and I know it's only going to keep going up. That being said, I don't think I'm going to bid on it.

Like with any auction, there comes a point when the bids are too high and a bulk of bidders stop bidding or have no interest submitting a bid. That's a pretty basic idea with auctions. Of course, there can be people who continue bidding no matter what.

Another thing, I don't believe that every bidder that places a bid on these tests truly wants them; they're just being dicks and driving up the prices because they know that someone will bid higher.

How doesn't bidding high early on discourage others from bidding? Some bidders go into these auctions with the mentality that they will not spend more than a certain amount on the item. Myself being one of those kinds of people. Having a 52 Weeks test press would be awesome, but it's already at $64.50 and I know it's only going to keep going up. That being said, I don't think I'm going to bid on it.

Well, like I said, bidding high early on just discourages the bidders who have their head in the clouds and assume they'll somehow walk away with a $10 victory.  Anyone who's serious will have a high number in the back of their head, and will throw that down at the last second when there is little or no time for anyone to react to it.  Or they'll be instantly "outbid" and won't have an opportunity to blow even more money to increase their bid.  (This is why it's really a win-win scenario.)

There are occasionally auctions that exceed what I'm willing to spend, early on.  And I guess it's nice to stop watching the auction and just move on... but at the same time, it feels like such a buzzkill.  Maybe I'm weird, but I love the thrill of finding an auction for something I've been chasing after for a while, and monitoring it for a week.  The excitement of wondering how the auction is faring... whether you'll somehow score it for below retail value... or if it'll explode into a frenzy of overpriced bids that you can only laugh at.  I enjoy all that.  So when some tool throws down 90% of what I'm willing to [generously] bid within the first hour, yeah... it's a total buzz-kill.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I very rarely encounter those early bids.  I seem to read about them more than I experience them for records that interest me.  For that reason, I haven't gotten mixed up into the mess of joke bids.  Sounds like a headache, though.

Now I get what you mean. 

I love watching auctions, too. When I win or when they go out of control, it's always pretty fun and good for a little shot of adrenaline. Most of the auctions I watch don't get high up in the very beginning, but for whatever reason these NSR ones always do.

One shitty thing about eBay is that someone could put a bid for like $500 last second just to ensure that no one could outbid them, and then they pay a dollar above the next person's highest bid.

One shitty thing about eBay is that someone could put a bid for like $500 last second just to ensure that no one could outbid them, and then they pay a dollar above the next person's highest bid.

Yeah, that's the game and gamble.  It works nicely until you stumble across someone who's crazy enough to bid $499 before you.

I think a lot of the charity / test press / advertised auctions from labels are more prone to bid shenanigans than anything else.

I don't get it. I mean yeah, scaring people off with a high price and still a couple days to go might seem to work for the "oh it would be cool to have this"-bidder but not for the collectors who are already calculating how many salaries they can spend on this. I also don't get why this only seems to be with nosleep auctions..every bridge 9 sale I remember went more like a normal auction. Same for the recent magic bullet auctions.

I don't get it. I mean yeah, scaring people off with a high price and still a couple days to go might seem to work for the "oh it would be cool to have this"-bidder but not for the collectors who are already calculating how many salaries they can spend on this. I also don't get why this only seems to be with nosleep auctions..every bridge 9 sale I remember went more like a normal auction. Same for the recent magic bullet auctions.

I think a lot of it has to do with the crowd that the label draws. I feel like No Sleep is more prone to the teenager who will bid to raise the price for shits and giggles, but has no intention of actually paying for it. I don't see that same type of crowd having the same amount of interest in a label like Magic Bullet.

I've also realised that if I ever want to own a test press I'm probably gonna have to just put away and sit on a pile of money, and then wait for an event like this and hope it has something I'd like. Contacting a label about anything never seems to work out very well for me.