The Official Pizza Thread.

Pizza is one of those things that I think is almost impossible to make better at home than a restaurant can just because of the equipment involved in making a great pie. Also dough/crust is super hard to perfect at home.

I think the oven is a big issue.  My at home pizza is REALLY good, but it still can't compete with a restaurant's.

Pizza dough is EASY to make at home. Flour, water, yeast and oil.

But that is coming from someone that has a lot of cooking experience.

I still haven't made my way home yet. But let's say the pizza I made was double sided. So toppings on both sides. It was epic to say the least. Though I do need to tweak it a little to really make it fantastic.

It got a little/lot messy half way through

So I touched on pizza a lil bit in the NYC thread if you want some of mine (and others) recommendations for Pizza in NYC: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/97256-vc-nyc-new-york-city/#

As for NY vs. Chicago debate I was in Chicago a few years ago and had some awesome deep dish. Only thing is I don't consider it Pizza, and consider it more of a pizza casserole hybrid. It is good when made right. I loved Pequod's and Burt's Place.

I have softened up on my "no pizza outside NYC" stance I used to have. I just needed friends to show me where the good pizza places are.

Pineapple Pizza is a crime as well as Papa John's.

So I touched on pizza a lil bit in the NYC thread if you want some of mine (and others) recommendations for Pizza in NYC. (I'm on mobile now so I'll link later.

As for NY vs. Chicago debate I was in Chicago a few years ago and had some awesome deep dish. Only thing is I don't consider it Pizza, and consider it more of a pizza casserole hybrid. It is good when made right. I loved Pequod's and Burt's Place.

I have softened up on my "no pizza outside NYC" stance I used to have. I just needed friends to show me where the good pizza places are.

Pineapple Pizza is a crime as well as Papa John's.

I'm on board for just about everything in this post.

PIZZA!!!!

image.jpg

Best pizza in San Antonio goes to my favorite local craft brew/pizza place Freetail. Every Wednesday they do a date night special, a pitcher of beer and a medium pizza for $16. You can upgrade your pizza or beer for $5 extra. Basically you order a pitcher and get a free pizza, can't beat that!!  I'm a traditionalist and pepperoni is my favorite, but their meatball and sausage is also top notch. Best crust, sauce, cheese and toppings....and don't forget the ranch!! I'm not a picky eater so anything can go on a pizza and I would eat it, except fruit. No fruit on pizza ever!!

There is another place in San Antonio called Dough that everyone claims is the best pizza. It's one of those fancy pants restaurants that charges $14 + for a tiny ass pizza that only comes in one size.  I've been there and I wasn't impressed. There are better fancy pants restaurants I would rather spend my money at and get a good meal in return. 

I can make my own pizza dough, but it takes time so throwing together a pizza after a long day of work is not going to happen. Took me a few months to perfect my dough recipe and everything from how old the yeast is to the weather outside will effect how the dough turns out. It's much easier to go to Freetail every Wednesday for our pizza and beer fix. They make it better than I ever will. 

When I lived in north ny, Watertown to be exact there was a plafe called OIP original italian pizza, im pretty sure there was a few locations, liverpool/syracuse. Man id hit that place all the time. Their buffalo chicken slices was banging. Miss that place

Damn, I lived in Lpool from 96-01 & dont remember that place. Sounds awesome!

PIZZA!!!!

image.jpg

Best pizza in San Antonio goes to my favorite local craft brew/pizza place Freetail. Every Wednesday they do a date night special, a pitcher of beer and a medium pizza for $16. You can upgrade your pizza or beer for $5 extra. Basically you order a pitcher and get a free pizza, can't beat that!!  I'm a traditionalist and pepperoni is my favorite, but their meatball and sausage is also top notch. Best crust, sauce, cheese and toppings....and don't forget the ranch!! I'm not a picky eater so anything can go on a pizza and I would eat it, except fruit. No fruit on pizza ever!!

There is another place in San Antonio called Dough that everyone claims is the best pizza. It's one of those fancy pants restaurants that charges $14 + for a tiny ass pizza that only comes in one size.  I've been there and I wasn't impressed. There are better fancy pants restaurants I would rather spend my money at and get a good meal in return. 

I can make my own pizza dough, but it takes time so throwing together a pizza after a long day of work is not going to happen. Took me a few months to perfect my dough recipe and everything from how old the yeast is to the weather outside will effect how the dough turns out. It's much easier to go to Freetail every Wednesday for our pizza and beer fix. They make it better than I ever will. 

YES to Freetail, I have only been there once and it was soooo good, definitely need to go back soon. Me and my friends go to pizza spot is Main Street Pizza, its good food for a good price, nothing too too special. Plus its right next to Hog Wild!

I've seen a couple of their locations around but never thought to give them a try. Mostly because there's a Pagliacci a block from my place.

I think they have pretty good pizza.  There's one pretty close to my place too, so it's easy for me to walk down and pick one up.  The beer delivery is awesome though.