Framing Vinyl Records: Why isn't it safe?

Considering I bought it when I was uninformed, and this isn't a huge hobby of mine.. As long as I'm just playing the records I could easily pick up another copy of down the road.. I'm sadly okay with it at the moment, tbh.

Ya that's fine. But now you are informed.

I'm not tying to be a dick. Just seems odd to deliberately damage your records.

But again not my collection, so not my problem

Oh yeah. In most cases I get them signed, frame them, then buy another copy to listen to.

bXbtCA8l.jpg

ohzurRul.jpg

rwJQYq5l.jpg

htpJ8VKl.jpg

11mZIUjl.jpg

c7nDqeRl.jpg65hLb6zl.jpg

These are awesome. Do you have a link to where you get them from? Especially that last one with the defeater album...

If you really want to display records-get these: http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=202421&.  You can put them on a wall and take them off for use.

I currently have these for the sleeve and then I buy those single record frames from Urban outfitters for the record and just put the two side by side. It's about $20-$30 for the setup depending on UO sales.

But I'd be willing to spend a little more money for the frames shown above!

BTW Brittany, my wife bought me one of the frames that open from the top so you can slide the sleeve in and out easily...and...it works wonderfully. I use it to display the sleeve of whatever I am currently spinning. Unless it is a really thick 2LP gatefold sleeve or more than 2 LPS, it closes without pressing on the sleeve too hard. This way you can take out the record and look at it if you want (or..<shudders>...play it on your cruiser). Either way, you'll be able to conserve the record's quality because it's basically just standing in the frame instead of being compressed. I will say that the frame is kinda pricey, but you save $$$ if you buy the 3 pack.

Good Luck, and congrats on your new addiction...err hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...I am John (owner of FrameMyRecord.com)--our frame is the Defender album above.

I came across the posts and thought I would put in my 2 cents worth and offer answers to any questions.  We have been framing records--and ONLY records, CD's and music memorabilia professionally for 5+ years.

Our reviews are posted on Amazon and at the site if anyone needs a reference or has a question about "who we are".

Framing records can be completely safe and actually beneficial if done properly.  Low or no sunlight, real glass and acid free matting should be a priority for any collectable or autographed album.

Our customers prefer Glass fronts instead of plexiglass so that is all that we have available and prefer.

Plastic especially if touching the actual sleeve or vinyl (no matting) can eventually do some damage or stick to the sleeve.  It also is not easy to clean, attracts dust and scratches easily.  Big box store  (cheaper) frames are great for inexpensive albums or to hang in  a dorm room so they have their place BUT real music collectors prefer a classier frame with matting and UV "real" glass.

Although a bit more expensive we offer a product that is very reasonably priced and actual custom "frame shop" quality.

There is a lot of information on the web site concerning glass, acid free matting and our conservation safe mounting process.

See this link framemyrecord.com/about-us.php

Hi...I am John (owner of FrameMyRecord.com)--our frame is the Defender album above.

I came across the posts and thought I would put in my 2 cents worth and offer answers to any questions.  We have been framing records--and ONLY records, CD's and music memorabilia professionally for 5+ years.

Our reviews are posted on Amazon and at the site if anyone needs a reference or has a question about "who we are".

Framing records can be completely safe and actually beneficial if done properly.  Low or no sunlight, real glass and acid free matting should be a priority for any collectable or autographed album.

Our customers prefer Glass fronts instead of plexiglass so that is all that we have available and prefer.

Plastic especially if touching the actual sleeve or vinyl (no matting) can eventually do some damage or stick to the sleeve.  It also is not easy to clean, attracts dust and scratches easily.  Big box store  (cheaper) frames are great for inexpensive albums or to hang in  a dorm room so they have their place BUT real music collectors prefer a classier frame with matting and UV "real" glass.

Although a bit more expensive we offer a product that is very reasonably priced and actual custom "frame shop" quality.

There is a lot of information on the web site concerning glass, acid free matting and our conservation safe mounting process.

See this link framemyrecord.com/about-us.php

I had hoped this thread would never be bumped again. Thanks, jackass. There is nothing we love more than someone coming onto the message board trying to sell their products in a thread that is about why most of us don't use said product.

(obviously not you Derek, I liked your bump.)

I had hoped this thread would never be bumped again. Thanks, jackass. There is nothing we love more than someone coming onto the message board trying to sell their products in a thread that is about why most of us don't use said product.

(obviously not you Derek, I liked your bump.)

Who doesn't like Derek's bumps? There so....... bumpy.