Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

Sick. Spinning "Sines" right now, getting some Blind Them With Science in before I hit the road.

Why is post-rock SO damn addicting? I don't understand. It's like I can't get enough, and will do anything to have certain things.

Pg.lost is the big one now to bite me.... I've finally almost completed Caspian's discography (just waiting for the Live at Old South Church repress) and then Rosetta, and now these guys, Pg.Lost.... sleepmakeswaves.... arrrgh.

You guys should see the lineup for the ArcTanGent festival happening in the UK soon. Unreal.

My roommate was spinning Pg.Lost last night and I think I fell in love. I also just need church to complete my Caspian collection. Although i do want a copy of a 1st press Four Trees. And the YATC/FT comp. and maybe a 1st press of church since the cover art is different. It's ridiclious.

pg.lost 's first is a classic postrock album, Yes, I Am is great. Their 2nd was not quite as good, but still decent. Their 3rd, I only listen to the track Crystalline (on cassette :)) and thought they were washed up.  They changed their  sound to more aggressive and came roaring back in with Key. Their contribution on the split with Wang Wen, part I and II, is on my platter at least every 1 to 2 weeks.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with next.

moo ymmv

Key is unfuckwithable.

My roommate was spinning Pg.Lost last night and I think I fell in love. I also just need church to complete my Caspian collection. Although i do want a copy of a 1st press Four Trees. And the YATC/FT comp. and maybe a 1st press of church since the cover art is different. It's ridiclious.

I've got a good friend in Australia who's looking to buy my YATC / FT compilation, but if it falls through I'll give you a great deal on it, if you'd like. I'm sure we could arrange something to where we could negate shipping costs, too.

Somehow I missed Pg.lost. I definitely checking them out when I get home.

It's Not You, It's Me! was on a phone I had and I listened to it quite a bit.  Kind of forgot about them when I got a new phone.  They're next on my playlist, should be fun to revisit and check out the other albums.

I liked parts of Key but overall I just got bored with it. I dunno, I'm weird like that. However, Key is one of the most gorgeous albums I've seen & would still buy if I could at a decent price. Still looking forward to their new one though.

I revisited the latest Sleepmakeswaves last night & I feel like that one doesn't get enough love. Other than the odd time shift in "Perfect Detonator", there isn't a bad moment on there.

I guess this is the new "Post VC" thread, eh? ;)

I like everything PG.lost has done, same with Jakob.  Jakob's albums are all so different to me though, at least when you compare Cale:Drew and Sines.  Right now, my favorite Pg.lost track is "Maquina" which I think is off of Key.  Shit is just unreal....  like, perfect post-rock.  

Anybody else spin their copy of Sines though?  Curious to know if Emergent (side A, track 2) is fucked up for you as well.  

I like everything PG.lost has done, same with Jakob.  Jakob's albums are all so different to me though, at least when you compare Cale:Drew and Sines.  Right now, my favorite Pg.lost track is "Maquina" which I think is off of Key.  Shit is just unreal....  like, perfect post-rock.  

Anybody else spin their copy of Sines though?  Curious to know if Emergent (side A, track 2) is fucked up for you as well.  

Going to spin mine in the next few days and I'll let you know.

I've got it playing again right now. Just inspected it visually and couldn't find anything, which was weird.

We'll see if it happens again. I contacted Mylene and they offered to replace side A/B for me which is fucking amazing.

Those guys are literally the best.

Oh, also, I have some updates on Cale:drew and Subsets:

"Apologies on the belated response.

We are just waiting on the vinyl re-master and the artwork, once those are done, we'll be getting everything into production for these Jakob vinyl reissues. I can't really give a concrete timeline since we're at the mercy of having everything handed off to us to get it going, but as soon as we have everything we're going to get them into production immediately :) The best answer I can give is ASAP.

I can't imagine it taking much longer though, we'll update everyone in the next newsletter!! Thank you so much for your interest, we'll talk more soon!!"

EDIT: Bah. There's a few scratches. Hard to spot at first, with them being over top a white section, but they're there. I stopped the record right before the place where I thought they were, and gently ran the record forward manually and voila, a couple of them super close together.

I was just poking around Mylene Sheath's website and I noticed they currently have 2 copies of the half red/orange w haze variant and 3 copies of the red/orange (for a premium price).  Also, looks like they are down to 16 copies of the newest splatter, if anyone is on the fence.  

I'm too broke right now to buy a new copy of an album I already have, tempting as it may be. . .

• 5 weeks later...

Just gotta bump this so we don't forget!

I've been spinning my CD copies of Cale:Drew and Subsets of Sets quite a lot, and this material is amazing.

Part of me likes these albums a lot more than Sines, only because there are more full-band tracks. Sines has a lot of the super ambient stuff, which is cool, but I'm not as into. I want the full group bearing down on me with that titanic wall of sound and all those delay pedals screaming at me with the thundering drums and bass.

Either way, the group kills. I can only imagine what's like to catch these guys live.

Also...

Gumbo, sign up for Mylene Sheath's newsletter to get info as soon as it's out there, if you aren't already. Every month they have a newsletter & sometimes other letters come out regarding certain pre-orders. I'm sure they'll send one out with all the specific PO info for these as soon as it's ready to go.

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition