PO: Iron Maiden 1980's Era Represses

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

It's 18.99 € for each LP on amazon Germany (57€ Box; 53€ with Nuclear Blast)....and 9.99€ for each 7"! Quite expensive for a 7"!

Maybe going with the LP Boxset...but not in the next couple of weeks. Not interested in the 7", but will there be a boxset holding the singles as well? Haven't found any info...

DO you like the SQ? Talking to folks who own original presses, these reissues are dynamic and uncompressed (good) but dull and kinda lacking (bad).

I have the boxset coming but might just sit on it and keep hunting OPs. Too bad, Maiden had another golden opportunity to take my money but whiffed it.

I'm just popping in here to complain that when shit like this comes up, I say I don't have the coin.

Then I spend this much over the course of the month.

And what's better than Maiden?

I'll tell you what...

Nothin'.

Up the Irons,

\m/ 0_o \m/

I feel you on that shit. I do the same thing.

DO you like the SQ? Talking to folks who own original presses, these reissues are dynamic and uncompressed (good) but dull and kinda lacking (bad).

I have the boxset coming but might just sit on it and keep hunting OPs. Too bad, Maiden had another golden opportunity to take my money but whiffed it.

Am I really curious on this matter, I have a few of these albums on older pressings, but would like to pick up a few of the represses as well. Someone with a good rig have an honest opinion on these?

Am I really curious on this matter, I have a few of these albums on older pressings, but would like to pick up a few of the represses as well. Someone with a good rig have an honest opinion on these?

Haven't picked these up.

Supposedly pressed off the original masters...so...

Here's a video i found on a maiden collectors group with some thoughts on these and comparisons with the original pressings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rI7YDrAt_U

Also, $61ppd for the box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAIDEN-COMPLETE-ALBUMS-COLLECTION-BOX-1980-1988-3-VINYL-SET-/381028465093?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item58b710f9c5

Haven't picked these up.

Supposedly pressed off the original masters...so...

Fuck it, I need the rest of the original albums, and I'm tired of seeing over priced bad condition copies in stores. I'll order piece of mind and number of the beast. I have OG copies of powerslave, somewhere in time and seventh son.

Fuck it, I need the rest of the original albums, and I'm tired of seeing over priced bad condition copies in stores. I'll order piece of mind and number of the beast. I have OG copies of powerslave, somewhere in time and seventh son.

I haven't yet, but I'll probably grab a copy of Killers at some point since it's the only one of the first 4 I'm missing.

Anyone on the fence about picking these up should do themselves a favor and head over to the Steve Hoffman forums and read their thread about these.  It's almost unanimous that a) the new pressings are not as good as old pressings (not really a surprise), but also B) the UK versions are better than the US pressings.  The UK versions were pressed at Optimal (in Germany I believe) while the US pressings were done at URP.  There seem to be more instances of poor pressing quality (dirty and/or warped records) with the URPs, although the Optimals weren't totally immune from this.  Someone posted a waveform of each pressing for one of the records and there is a noticeable difference.  The Optimal looked more dynamic.  People said that both pressings seemed to less dynamic than the originals and several people posted that it sounded like a "wet blanket was over the speakers".  Some speculated that the master tapes may have degraded quite a bit over 30 years.  Others speculated that these new pressings had less EQing done so they sound more flat.

Just wanted to throw out that info so you could do a little more research on this stuff before you buy.

The UK versions from Amazon UK are still cheaper than the US pressings from Amazon USA, at least for the box.  This is not true for the singles or individual LPs.