Ferguson, and other issues

I don't think "protesters" is the correct term for the people right now. I don't know of many "protesters" that light cars on fire and burn down local businesses. I think they are acting like "rioters"

Who gives a fuck about semantics.  You're going to group them all together because a few people did something stupid? 

a grand jury didn't decide not to indict him. they decided that despite the entire world witnessing straight-up buffoonery in the aftermath, that it's still ok for a police officer to murder an unarmed person.

Who gives a fuck about semantics.  You're going to group them all together because a few people did something stupid? 

Seriously.

a grand jury didn't decide not to indict him. they decided that despite the entire world witnessing straight-up buffoonery in the aftermath, that it's still ok for a police officer to murder an unarmed person.

Seriously.

I don't necessarily agree with the people burning cars and shit...but I don't necessarily blame them. It's not good, but shit happens when tension builds up like this.

I worded it incorrectly. How about if the protesters didn't want there to be violence then why not do something about the few that are causing it? I mean what happened to peaceful protests that worked back in the 60's like the sit-ins during the civil rights movements. 

This isn't a few people doing something stupid. This is hundreds of people standing in highways. People burning cars/buildings/ more in various places around town. It's lots of people doing dumb stuff and the peaceful protesters getting in the way of being able to take care of those problems.

I worded it incorrectly. How about if the protesters didn't want there to be violence then why not do something about the few that are causing it? I mean what happened to peaceful protests that worked back in the 60's like the sit-ins during the civil rights movements. 

Those protests were violently broken up by cops.

There were violent protests back then too.

I think everyone needs to go over the evidence presented like the jury did though.

If there legitimately wasn't enough evidence to prove "without a shadow of a doubt" that he killed this person , then there is no need to waste taxpayer money and tie up the penal system trying him.

Again, not saying that this is the right thing, I'm just not going to jump on one wagon of the other yet.

This I agree with.

This isn't a few people doing something stupid. This is hundreds of people standing in highways. People burning cars/buildings/ more in various places around town. It's lots of people doing dumb stuff and the peaceful protesters getting in the way of being able to take care of those problems.

Exactly! I don't know why people keep trying to turn the other way on this stuff saying a few people did this. It takes plenty of people to block off a highway and to burn down buildings.

From what I learned in sociology last week, what worked the most was the peaceful protests. Honestly how do you want police to react when people are burning shit left and right and throwing stuff at the police, how can they respond peacefully?

I think everyone needs to go over the evidence presented like the jury did though.

If there legitimately wasn't enough evidence to prove "without a shadow of a doubt" that he killed this person , then there is no need to waste taxpayer money and tie up the penal system trying him.

Again, not saying that this is the right thing, I'm just not going to jump on one wagon of the other yet.

This I agree with.

but as i've said a number of times in this thread.. how do you (a grand jury) not consider 12 bullets excessive? apprehend the suspect. incapacitate him. don't fucking waste him.

From what I learned in sociology last week, what worked the most was the peaceful protests. Honestly how do you want police to react when people are burning shit left and right and throwing stuff at the police, how can they respond peacefully?

Peaceful protests worked better in the long run but the violent protests weren't nothing. They were a symptom of the oppressed rising up against their oppressors. That kind of shit isn't good, but it can be unavoidable. Peaceful protests just make for a nicer narrative.

When thinking about the civil rights movement, it is important to keep in mind that the movement continued after 1964. In addition, the race riots emerged after 1964 and many felt that non - violence was dated and had accomplished nothing.

Plus, looting and rioting has many different psychological angles other than just stealing and violence for the hell of it.

When thinking about the civil rights movement, it is important to keep in mind that the movement continued after 1964. In addition, the race riots emerged after 1964 and many felt that non - violence was dated and had accomplished nothing.

Plus, looting and rioting has many different psychological angles other than just stealing and violence for the hell of it.

Exactly. This is no way is simply cut and dry.

I feel alone in my generation. I don't get the anger, and frankly nothing any of you are saying is giving me any reason to believe in the state of our social disorder. Mostly I'm just sad to see so many people live in such blind hate, on all sides.

I feel angry because I feel that as a black man. I need to live in fear. I don't believe that all police are racist, power hungry idiots but I've had enough negative experiences to see that there are some out there. As a society, we shouldn't fear those there to serve and protect just as much as police shouldn't be in the news every other week for nonsense.

It seems like though that even though the people are very upset about the announcement that Officer Wilson won't be indicted why not just go home or stay but remain peaceful? I mean unless there is a part in the legal process that I am missing here, saying that he won't be indicted would mean that the investigation would be pretty much over which (to me) would then mean that this situation should be over with. I hope what I am saying doesn't sound like what I think Officer Wilson did what right because it wasn't but our legal process went through a complete investigation and a grand jury came to a unanimous decision that there wasn't enough to indict him. I don't want people to just forget this event but to learn from it and build on what we could do better and what can we do to avoid these type of tragic events in the future.

It seems like though that even though the people are very upset about the announcement that Officer Wilson won't be indicted why not just go home or stay but remain peaceful? I mean unless there is a part in the legal process that I am missing here, saying that he won't be indicted would mean that the investigation would be pretty much over which (to me) would then mean that this situation should be over with. I hope what I am saying doesn't sound like what I think Officer Wilson did what right because it wasn't but our legal process went through a complete investigation and a grand jury came to a unanimous decision that there wasn't enough to indict him. I don't want people to just forget this event but to learn from it and build on what we could do better and what can we do to avoid these type of tragic events in the future.

People are angry because this is another instance in a long line of police officers shooting unarmed people of color without any accountability. Dude was on paid leave and got $400,000 donated to him by shitheads. He profited from killing an unarmed 18 year old. People are rightfully angry.