OUT NOW: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You (10/28/2014)

Nope, didn't like it all that much. I always considered the tortured and unstable vocal performance to be the essential part of their songs and this one doesn't deliver. 

Do not agree on the Will Yip discussion though. To me he is the person who made La Dispute finally record a great album. Unpopular opinion, I know, but it's the first album of theirs that I can listen through without being bored and/or cringing at the lyrics every five minutes. 

Nope, didn't like it all that much. I always considered the tortured and unstable vocal performance to be the essential part of their songs and this one doesn't deliver. 

Do not agree on the Will Yip discussion though. To me he is the person who made La Dispute finally record a great album. Unpopular opinion, I know, but it's the first album of theirs that I can listen through without being bored and/or cringing at the lyrics every five minutes. 

to be fair, will yip didn't write their lyrics

Wait, are you implying it's going up today?  What time do Epitaph preorders usually launch?  I rarely order records from them.

All I know is that I am almost sure a song premier is going up today, being that this song is everywhere, including rdio and spotify and itunes. For Joyce, preorders, song announcement, and label announcement went up on the same day.

I'm definitely part of the "I don't like Will Yip" club.  All it comes down to is personally not enjoying any of the records he has produced, as much as those bands earlier discographies.  I also personally find his production to be too muddy and flat, and not very dynamic.

And I really hate to bring in ratings and reviews, but just scrolling through sites such as rateyourmusic.com, and sputnikmusic.com, taking into account hundreds of peoples ratings/reviews, his records score lower than the bands previous records for almost every record I searched.  I think the only one I saw that was higher than a bands previous releases was Floral Green.

And obviously ratings on music websites don't define records as being good or bad, but it kind of gives you a rough look at how a large group of people feel about a record.

True, but the band made the choice to work with him...

or the label, because "it will be good", and the results are most the times are bad. Only good stuff he's done is Braid. Probably because Bob Nanna and the co and their experience didn't let him do his "magic". He basically ruined la dispute. 

ROTH is a great record. It's La Dispute down to their core, without being hokey and grand. I do think the production sucks - I get what they/Yip were going for, it just didn't work out. Really flat, and the highs are tinny as hell. I was listening to the No Sleep Comp for Mom record and when "First Reactions After Falling Through the Ice" came on I was amazed at how awkward it sounds.

Also, really excited for this Pianos record. KR is still down - maybe that's preventing the launch.