PO NOW: TWIABP - Between Bodies

It was his interpretation of the line. That is how he made that connection. I don't see what the fuss is about. People take lines from songs out of context all the time and get them tattooed, tweet them, update Facebook statuses with them, wear them on t-shirts, etc...

Analysis and interpretation is basically the foundation of literature, and increasingly, music. Yes, the curtains could literally just be blue. But they could also represent the author's depression, preventing him from being able to experience true happiness. Which is more enticing?

If that's an issue, then stop reading and listening.

That's merely part of the interpretation. It's out of context, so keep the line out of context. Reading the words sparked some thoughts in his head. In his explanation behind the quote, I don't read his words as any sort of an attack on Shoppers.

Darkness isn't some new ideology in music and literature. Authors consistently use "darkness" to describe something evil. Black people are literally dark skinned. Plenty of people believe that black people are inherently bad and a hindrance to America. In this day an age where racism has fully integrated itself into society's norms, to the point where we have ingrained racism, I have no issue with Chris's interpretation of the line. 

I will definitely agree that he does say some pretty whacky stuff on the LP.

chris Z took a line that someone in Shoppers wrote pertaining to their ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP and quoted it directly, told them "fuck that", named the song Shoppers Beef & released it to tens of thousands of people.

his interpretation of the line & whether or not people think it's right or wrong isn't the real problem.  the problem is that, without an understanding of the context of the line, chris felt like it was his place to take something personal and painful to someone, remove it from its context, mutilate it & use it to call that artist out (pretty much directly) on being racist.

there were a million and one ways for chris Z to make a statement on why he feels the trope of good = light, bad = dark is racist. the fact that he chose to take a line in one particular song relating to the abuse someone felt at the hands of someone else (without even bothering to understand the context of that line before using it as a platform for his argument) is fucked up.

guy sucks.

Even if light vs. dark was used to justify racism in the past, and probably still is by some people, I think there's a bigger problem in Chris seeing these lyrics as racist than Shoppers writing these lyrics. I don't know the band, but I'm assuming Ryan is correct when he says they were written about an abusive relationship. Yes, I'm a white male, but I'm a pretty *PC* (cringe) person, and there's a lot of things that most people wouldn't bat an eye at (casual racism/homophobia/etc) that set me off. These lyrics though? It didn't even cross my mind that they could potentially be talking about skin color. And no connection should be made. I like it when the sun is out!! When it's nighttime, the sun isn't out, and you can't see stuff!!! Okay Chris? Get it? And I really hope this doesn't make me sound like I'm defending casual racism, because fuck all those people who preface shit with "I'm not racist, but...", etc, but you've got to think his time would be better spent on calling out actually racist and casually racist comments, instead of taking something completely out of context.

I wrote this on my phone in one go and it probably makes no sense but CMON.

So I guess any metaphor about light vs. dark is racist now.

nailed-it_o_1391147.jpg

@rynflnnry

Burn him at the stake. How dare anyone find a connection in a series of words and interpret those words in such a fashion that doesn't reflect the author's true intent!!!

@parkinglot

That's fine, you don't have to interpret them that way. I certainly wouldn't have either. I see where you are coming from, but to flat-out say that someone can't interpret art the way they want to is pretty messed up. He never once says that Shoppers or the lyrics are racist. He says the lyrics are reflective of a racial stereotype in America. That is his interpretation. On top of that, he admits to being disconnected from the true intent behind the lyrics. insectpins posted the whole explanation but here is part of it:

"All that however derailed me from looking more into the song the line is from, which is about an abusive relationship. Abuse happens in punk communities and needs to be talked about and for me to co-opt a line about that feels shitty regardless of my intent."

• 2 months later...