PO: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy Singer's Grave a Sea of Tongues 9/24/14

He is so strange.

He is also an incredible songwriter.

Looking forward to this.

I am a pretty big fan and I have been reading his "biography/ long form interview" book (here on amazon )

it explains a little bit about his persona and where Bonnie comes from.

pretty interested read if you're a fan.

also since this is a vinyl board here's the impossible to find 2x10 inch and wooden box the UK version of the book came in..

http://www.discogs.com/Bonnie-Prince-Billy-Will-Oldham-On-Bonnie-Prince-Billy/release/3563636

I'm stoked about the new album, good news! This guy is so productive, it's hard to keep up with all the stuff he puts out.

also since this is a vinyl board here's the impossible to find 2x10 inch and wooden box the UK version of the book came in..

http://www.discogs.com/Bonnie-Prince-Billy-Will-Oldham-On-Bonnie-Prince-Billy/release/3563636

Here's my copy (no. 196). It's actually not a wooden box, more like heavy cardboard or something.

DSC05063_zpsfb476d65.jpg

More pics: http://s916.photobucket.com/user/JSusi-o/library/BPB

Relevant question: Where should I start with Will Oldham? Only thing I have heard is the covers LP with Tortoise which I really like.

Palace Brothers! Days in the Wake is my favorite but check out There Is No-One What Will Take Care of You since it has the Slint dudes as his backing band.

I'm stoked about the new album, good news! This guy is so productive, it's hard to keep up with all the stuff he puts out.

Here's my copy (no. 196). It's actually not a wooden box, more like heavy cardboard or something.

DSC05063_zpsfb476d65.jpg

More pics: http://s916.photobucket.com/user/JSusi-o/library/BPB

i am insanely jealous

• 2 weeks later...

tracklist posted over at Domino... couple repeaters in here most of these songs have identical titles to, or are references to, Wolfroy songs.  any thoughts as to if they'll be reworkings or completely different versions?  perhaps different songs with the same titles?  an error of a tracklist?

01. Night Noises
02. So Far and Here We Are
03. There Will Be Spring
04. Quail and Dumplings
05. We Are Unhappy
06. It's Time To Be Clear
07. Whipped
08. Old Match
09. Mindlessness
10. Mew Black Rich (Tusks)
11. Sailor's Grave A Sea of Sheep

tracklist posted over at Domino... couple repeaters in here most of these songs have identical titles to, or are references to, Wolfroy songs.  any thoughts as to if they'll be reworkings or completely different versions?  perhaps different songs with the same titles?  an error of a tracklist?

01. Night Noises
02. So Far and Here We Are
03. There Will Be Spring
04. Quail and Dumplings
05. We Are Unhappy
06. It's Time To Be Clear
07. Whipped
08. Old Match
09. Mindlessness
10. Mew Black Rich (Tusks)
11. Sailor's Grave A Sea of Sheep

This track list makes me insanely excited for this release.  I'm guessing by the titles they are more reworkings.  And that is always very welcome.  

Still kinda wanted another LP of new tunes though, especially after the brilliance of the past few solo outings.

Also just noticed this on the domino site:

WIGLP343X 

Some sort of variant / special edition?

Too bad there's no word of it on the Drag City site.  And it's "out of stock" somehow.

i noticed that, too, which made me wonder if Domino accidentally sent a wolfroy mix to the plant and dropped an X at the end of the catalog number as a misprint.

This track list makes me insanely excited for this release.  I'm guessing by the titles they are more reworkings.  And that is always very welcome.  

Still kinda wanted another LP of new tunes though, especially after the brilliance of the past few solo outings.

The other option is that it could be a live album, which makes me wonder if this is why there's zero information about the release on the Drag City site. They say something like "Bonnie sings for who he was and who he will be" which could be a clue that the tracks are old and new. There do appear to be 2 or 3 new tracks on the album. Some of the titles have changed slightly from their Wolfroy equivalents (e.g. It's Time To Be Clear instead of Time To Be Clear, and ... is Old Match suppose to be "No Match" - the opening track from Wolfroy? Probably) 

I also wonder if the title "Mew Black Rich" relates to "Black/Rich Tune" from his soundtrack album to The Broken Giant from 1998. 

I guess we'll all know in 11 days time.