What's your White Whale record?

10 hours ago, paulaayy said:

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors

Not sure how rare this is, but I've never seen it on sale. All of their other albums aren't hard to get, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a reissue someday.

I also really want this one. Definitely my favorite by them. Hopefully someone will reissue it eventually

Not sure how rare this is, but I've never seen it on sale. All of their other albums aren't hard to get, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a reissue someday.

I also really want this one. Definitely my favorite by them. Hopefully someone will reissue it eventually

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of my two whales recently. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sing-Me-To-Sleep-Indie-Lullabies/release/2249845

I watch ebay constantly for this but I haven't seen it after years of searches. I messaged everyone on discogs that has it in their collection. Multiple times. "Hey want to sell that yet?". I finally found one guy that wanted the Wes Anderson Tribute LP. Didn't care what color/pressing. I just pre-ordered that from American Laundromat and ended up getting this whale pretty cheaply.

Now all I need for my Sigur Rós collection is this https://www.discogs.com/Sigur-Rós-Von-Brigði/release/1835354. It shows up on ebay sometimes but it always goes for $350 -$800.

• 2 months later...

Not something I've personally wanted forever but definitely worthy of being deemed a white whale. Saw it on the wall at Amoeba in Hollywood and didn't realize what it was till I walked around the store and went, "Oh shit, isn't that the rare ass Incubus record." I checked discogs and they wanted a little over half of what the last selling price was, gonna keep it but for now if a die-hard Incubus fan were to make me an offer, I might take it.

Incubus "Let Me Tell Ya 'bout Root Beer"

1995 7" /500

20161209_212849_zpsd97iybaw.jpg?w=480&h=

Also, the back art is fucking amazing.

14813483617111080394347_zpsvoqxxwgi.jpg?

47 minutes ago, nathan_s82 said:

Still searching for the Test Press of Nirvana's Love Buzz Single.

That would be a hell of a score. Are they even known to be out there? 

I'd love a test press of RAM - s/t, but never of any even existing.

I can now cross Alice in Chains - Facelift (EU press) off my list!

And Tom Petty -Wildflowers too!

Edited by vinyl addict

1 hour ago, vinyl addict said:

That would be a hell of a score. Are they even known to be out there? 

I'd love a test press of RAM - s/t, but never of any even existing.

I can now cross Alice in Chains - Facelift (EU press) off my list!

And Tom Petty -Wildflowers too!

Facelift is the only AIC album I need but I'm just waiting for the inevitable repress. 

The only records I'm after right now are all $100+, not necessarily White whales, just expensive

Alesana - On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax
Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomenon
Marilyn Manson - Portrait, Mechanical, Holy Wood
System of a Down - S/T , Toxicity 

2 hours ago, mmfood said:

Unfortunately, there's only bootlegs of the S/T and they're not to bad on price if you don't mind having a boot. Toxicity I got for 80 at a record store which I had no porblem spending, so if you wait that one out you should be able to get one under 100.

3 hours ago, Reshiram454 said:

Unfortunately, there's only bootlegs of the S/T and they're not to bad on price if you don't mind having a boot. Toxicity I got for 80 at a record store which I had no porblem spending, so if you wait that one out you should be able to get one under 100.

I found Toxicity at a local shop for $60. From someone personal collection. I spent a bunch on albums from that shop in the course of a month. Lots of rare, mint stuff.

• 2 months later...
On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:55 AM, pizza face said:

Facelift is the only AIC album I need but I'm just waiting for the inevitable repress. 

The only records I'm after right now are all $100+, not necessarily White whales, just expensive

Alesana - On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax
Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomenon
Marilyn Manson - Portrait, Mechanical, Holy Wood

Didn't they recently repress that alesana album

11 hours ago, agua said:

Didn't they recently repress that alesana album

No, that was their most recent release, Confessions. Im still actually bummed The Emptiness didnt pan out on getting pressed.

I think the 2 biggest records that I'm super focused on is the mint green pressing of TDWP's Plagues & Senses Fail's EP From The Depths of Dreams. They both pop up for like $150 every once & awhile, but its always when I cant afford it.

My white whales are quite numerous. Haven't been collecting seriously for that long.

Gallows - grey britain

Gallows - Orchestra of wolves

With the punches - seams and stitches

Take it back! - atrocities

Creeper - s/t

Creeper - the callous heart

Bayside - killing time

Shiny toy guns - we are pilots

Daggermouth - turf wars

Madsen -labyrinth

Madsen - friedem in krieg

Alkaline trio - s/t

Swellers -- good for me

Direct hit - domesplitter

architects - daybreaker

Some I haven't found at all, some I have found but too expensive for my wallet at the time

Some I was too stupid to buy when I had the chance.

If you can help me out reducing the list, let me know!

I saw this thread and thought really hard about what I really want that I don't think I'll ever own, It's probably Duality by Captain Murphy. I doubt it will ever get repressed so prices will just keep going up. Until recently my white whale was The Hold Steady - Seperation Sunday but the recent repress took care of that

1 hour ago, siemprepe said:

My white whales are quite numerous. Haven't been collecting seriously for that long.

Gallows - grey britain

Gallows - Orchestra of wolves

With the punches - seams and stitches

Take it back! - atrocities

Creeper - s/t

Creeper - the callous heart

Bayside - killing time

Shiny toy guns - we are pilots

Daggermouth - turf wars

Madsen -labyrinth

Madsen - friedem in krieg

Alkaline trio - s/t

Swellers -- good for me

Direct hit - domesplitter

architects - daybreaker

Some I haven't found at all, some I have found but too expensive for my wallet at the time

Some I was too stupid to buy when I had the chance.

If you can help me out reducing the list, let me know!

I don't know about all of these, but alk3 s/t is still available from Asian Man.

http://asianmanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/576265-alkaline-trio-s-t-lp-cd             $13.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I don't know about all of these, but alk3 s/t is still available from Asian Man.

http://asianmanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/576265-alkaline-trio-s-t-lp-cd             $13.

I know, but shipping of 16$ for a 13$ record really doesn't do it for me.

That is maybe the reason it is a 'white whale' for me.

1 hour ago, siemprepe said:

I know, but shipping of 16$ for a 13$ record really doesn't do it for me.

That is maybe the reason it is a 'white whale' for me.

I don't know where you're based, but I don't think international shipping is ever gonna be much cheaper. Plus, that's only like $29. I wouldn't call something readily available for under $30 a white whale; the term implies it's hard to find.