What's your White Whale record?

Chris Robinson - The Destruction of Cities By Space Vehicles

Shortly after The Black Crowes went on hiatus in 2002 Chris began a solo career with guitarist/engineer/producer Paul Stacey. I believe it was their Paris show that was recorded and planned to be released on vinyl. I don't know how many copies were actually pressed (I've heard less than 200), but I would just 'bout kill to have this! I've got a ripped copy on CD somewhere, but I need the real thing!

36 minutes ago, Kyte30351 said:

Chris Robinson - The Destruction of Cities By Space Vehicles

Shortly after The Black Crowes went on hiatus in 2002 Chris began a solo career with guitarist/engineer/producer Paul Stacey. I believe it was their Paris show that was recorded and planned to be released on vinyl. I don't know how many copies were actually pressed (I've heard less than 200), but I would just 'bout kill to have this! I've got a ripped copy on CD somewhere, but I need the real thing!

It's a bootleg I'm assuming?

AFI - Sing the Sorrow ($150+)

Periphery - Self Titled (First Pressing)....  3 variants x/50 each. ($200+)

The Contortionist - Intrinsic (Clear With Pink & Blue Splatter ) ($90+)

I am constantly checking everywhere for an affordable copy of these, yet to find something in my price range though :'c maybe one day.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two.

First is Face Tat by Zach Hill. I've been trying to find a copy for a not stupid price (there are a few copies on discogs, but the most reasonably priced one won't ship to Canada).

Second is a bit more interesting. I've been trying to find a copy of Dandelion Gum by Black Moth Super Rainbow for some time now. Outside of discogs, I could never seem to find a copy, and with the exchange rate and shipping costs, I could never bring myself to shell out 70$ CAD or more for it used. 

I've had copies on order from amazon for awhile with the old "we will deliver it when we have it" warning, and it was cancelled both times several months later. Low and behold, the other morning, around 5 AM, I was up and Amazon had a single, brand new, prime eligible copy for sale.  I figured it was an error and bit the bullet. There was no way that a record that has been out of print since 2015 was suddenly found in their warehouse.

Against all odds, it showed up at my door, and strangely, its the plain black version, which is a mail order exclusive according to discogs (whatever that means).

Really glad to finally have it and it sounds fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Killwhitneydead - So Pretty So Plastic. 

Spent forever trying to find this. Hunted everywhere possible and asked every person I ever saw post a photo. Such a small unkown band, I thought Id never find it. One day someone messaged me saying they knew someone with it that was "thinking" of "Maybe" letting it go.. 

After messaging them for over 2 months. They sent the vinyl at retail! I still cant believe I have a copy.. 

Then funny fact.. The vocalist found a handfull of them a week or two later and sold them autographed at less than retail. Oh well. I still got one so life is good.. :)

13658407_1460363390656193_321430739_n.jp

• 2 months later...

Not a "white whale" by a lot of standards, because it's relatively available and not very expensive.  But I told myself I wouldn't order Mudhoney-Five Dollar Bob's Mock Cooter Stew, I wanted to physically purchase it.  By no means the best Mudhoney out there, but I originally picked up the CD during a $1 bin sale when I was about 13 so the albums got a special spot for me.

Finally grabbed it a couple days ago for a cool $25.  Only took 7 years of hunting.

On 7/12/2017 at 1:08 PM, Kyte30351 said:

I don't believe so. It was to be released through Red Line Entertainment (what was to be a Best Buy label I think), and has official artwork.

yeh definitely not a boot... its an official release that i think only 30 or 40 copies got made before the pressing plant got wind of the label going bust ...

very lucky to have one ;) 

Crazy, but a few posts above this one is also my white whale, Killwhitneydead’s So Pretty, So Plastic.  I took a hiatus from collecting that started before the release and ended after the remaining stock was found. I’ve been friends on Facebook with Matt from Tribunal since putting KWD and The Demonstration up after a show, and although he searched high and low for another copy for me,  I was out of luck. Found a copy the other night on Discogs and immediately hit the buy button,  but sadly got a reply the next morning that the seller just deactivated his account and half of his records were no longer available. That one included. 

If I had to pick a second whale, Cave In’s Beyond Hypothermia. I had a copy each on grey and purple, but not anymore. Gotta get one back someday. 

On 10/24/2017 at 9:53 PM, AGB said:

yeh definitely not a boot... its an official release that i think only 30 or 40 copies got made before the pressing plant got wind of the label going bust ...

very lucky to have one ;) 

If you ever wanna part with it you know who to contact!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, V3XED said:

AFI - Sing the Sorrow ($150+)

Periphery - Self Titled (First Pressing)....  3 variants x/50 each. ($200+)

The Contortionist - Intrinsic (Clear With Pink & Blue Splatter ) ($90+)

I am constantly checking everywhere for an affordable copy of these, yet to find something in my price range though :'c maybe one day.

I got my gf the S/T for her birthday a couple years ago. It was sealed and happened to be the blue/white mix. Super lucky I dropped the cash. I'm also having the same problem with Intrinsic and honestly annoyed that there's been an amazon listing since May and the label wont email back regarding if it's being repressed or not. If it's not, get the damn listing removed...

Oh and I found the white copy on Intrinsic on Discogs and scooped it for $40 a couple weeks ago. Seller decided they weren't going to give me a shipping price or answer me so now their account is suspended. Yippee.

1 hour ago, N8TRU1 said:

I got my gf the S/T for her birthday a couple years ago. It was sealed and happened to be the blue/white mix. Super lucky I dropped the cash. I'm also having the same problem with Intrinsic and honestly annoyed that there's been an amazon listing since May and the label wont email back regarding if it's being repressed or not. If it's not, get the damn listing removed...

Oh and I found the white copy on Intrinsic on Discogs and scooped it for $40 a couple weeks ago. Seller decided they weren't going to give me a shipping price or answer me so now their account is suspended. Yippee.

Actually also managed to get the white on discoggs, but with a better seller. I think he graded it with wishful thinking... given all the seam splits... but its a nice copy otherwise and got it for about 40$ shipped. Still on the hunt for a good copy of the splatter.
The S/T is also still on the list, but prices have come down now due to the repress, which I have and am content with for the time  being.... keeping eyes open though.

Edited by V3XED

• 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Subdomestic said:

I paid a little more than I had hoped but I finally, finally,  got a copy of the Real Rock and Roll Tonight 7" by the Deadly Snakes.  Pressed in 1997 and /500.

And, I bought it from one of the guys who ran the label that put it out!

Glad you finally got a copy! Hopefully priced better than the one up on Discogs.

The Sadies' "Stories Often Told" LP had been a white whale for me for years now (tough to find at any price), but managed to snag one up on Discogs the other week. Not cheap but so it goes...

3 minutes ago, fondfarewell said:

Glad you finally got a copy! Hopefully priced better than the one up on Discogs.

*grumble, grumble* No comment :)

I'm justifying it to myself by not paying shipping, tax, or exchange rate.  At least I got to meet the guy for local pickup and paid cash. Still thrilled to finally have it though.

13 minutes ago, Subdomestic said:

*grumble, grumble* No comment :)

I'm justifying it to myself by not paying shipping, tax, or exchange rate.  At least I got to meet the guy for local pickup and paid cash. Still thrilled to finally have it though.

It is a much cooler pick-up than click-click-click on Discogs!

Jimmy Buffett - Havana Daydreaming

There are a few copies of this album which were pressed with the test press plates.  These have some different songs (one of which is still unreleased) and a different order of tracks.  The only way to know if you have this version is to play it.  The cover, label, everything is the same.   I nearly had my hands on one and the seller was nickle-and-diming me over shipping so i pulled out.  I'll find it one day. 

On 10/24/2017 at 9:54 PM, KnifeStreet said:

Crazy, but a few posts above this one is also my white whale, Killwhitneydead’s So Pretty, So Plastic.  I took a hiatus from collecting that started before the release and ended after the remaining stock was found. I’ve been friends on Facebook with Matt from Tribunal since putting KWD and The Demonstration up after a show, and although he searched high and low for another copy for me,  I was out of luck. Found a copy the other night on Discogs and immediately hit the buy button,  but sadly got a reply the next morning that the seller just deactivated his account and half of his records were no longer available. That one included. 

If I had to pick a second whale, Cave In’s Beyond Hypothermia. I had a copy each on grey and purple, but not anymore. Gotta get one back someday. 

Since this post, I managed to land a copy of both the KWD LP, and Cave In’s Beyond Hypothermia on grey, so my white whale has changed!  

Toughest find for me right now is a copy of Slip It In by Black Flag on transparent red vinyl.  Bought two copies thus far on Discogs, but they were both on black, just mislabeled on the site.  Second one was an especially rough transaction because I even emailed and inquired in advance to be sure t was red (it wasn’t.) Returned them immediately, and the hunt continues!

Runner up has to be the friends & family variant of Converge’s The Dusk In Us LP on clear vinyl with rainbow splatter.  Haven’t seen a single copy for sale anywhere. 

• 2 years later...

I was lucky enough to win a complete collection of 15 Dirty Nil 7" records in a charity raffle for Black Lives Matter.

I now have all six record club singles, the limited variants of No Weaknesses and Little Metal Baby Fist, plus the rest of their 7" records. So many white whales!

Now if I could track down a teal copy of Higher Power....

Edited by Subdomestic