PO: Sleater-Kinney: Start Together Box Set (10/21)

Guest deleted

8af780b1.jpg

The box set is limited to 3,00 and comes with all seven albums on colored vinyl, a 44-page hardcover book featuring never-before-seen photos, and a limited edition print. The albums were remastered by Sterling Sound's Greg Calbi from the original analog tapes.

The remastered albums will also be available individually on black vinyl and CD that same day. They're available digitally right now.

https://megamart.subpop.com/releases/sleater_kinney/start_together

Source

Limited to 3,000… not 3,00 just in case anyone was confused.

Disappointed they're not selling the CDs in a box set...

I've only heard their last album a few times many, many years ago.

If I am to only get one or two albums (at first), which should I order?

One Beat

but i never got on their bandwagon...i didn't like them much until that album and the last one.

also, i've been spending quite a bit of time going through and listening to my original pressings vs reissues and 9 times out of 10 I have preferred the original to any "remastered" fancy pants reissue or whatever. when they are done right (AAA or a very good job w/ high res digital files like MOV does), they can be pretty great, but like i said, almost every time i have preferred the original press. my new policy is to only buy reissues when OG press is too hard to find and/or prohibitively expensive. will see how long i can keep w/ that policy because shiny, new!

S-K is a top 5 all time favorite band for me. Already have all the originals but ordered this without a second of hesitation. Can't wait.

Hey, here's a bunch of money I wasn't expecting to spend today. WORTH IT. 

Yes & yes! Hadn't planned on taking such a long break from buying records but very happy that I did now. Currently downloading...

That can't be right, surely? I hope not - I just plowed the cash into ordering directly from Sub Pop

That is most definately right. Amazon doesn't care whether they ship a single record or a huge-ass-boxset, shipping is always calculated per item. So on boxsets you make out like a bandit with amazon.

On the other hand you made the right choice by supporting the right guys, getting the instant downloads and being sure to get one of the boxsets (as you are never on the safe side with amazon).

That is most definately right. Amazon doesn't care whether they ship a single record or a huge-ass-boxset, shipping is always calculated per item. So on boxsets you make out like a bandit with amazon.

On the other hand you made the right choice by supporting the right guys, getting the instant downloads and being sure to get one of the boxsets (as you are never on the safe side with amazon).

That's crazy! I never realised that before. I figured it wouldn't be guaranteed with Amazon, and always happy to buy direct. Also not had the best luck with amazon packaging and I wouldn't really want to take that risk with this purchase. Instant downloads was a big draw too. Also got one of the SK tees as well!

My concern in either case is getting destroyed by import fees. They're included in one of the Amazon postage options, but it brings the total up to within $20 of the Sub Pop price and those guys are shrewd about how they label international items.

That was another thing that put me off Amazon, the pre-charged import fees? Nah.

Really excited about this release though. Can't wait to hear and compare the new remasters. I have to say the original The Woods press doesn't sound great to me, but I do love that super loudness cos it seems to work. One Beat is by far my favourite sounding record, guitar tone equivalent to The Wipers or something similar. I already have Sleater-Kinney, Dig Me Out, One Beat and The Woods but there was no way I was missing out on this.

HOWEVER! It does mean that I'm banning myself from any vinyl purchases for the next two months. Now I would LOVE a singles box set too..

My concern in either case is getting destroyed by import fees. They're included in one of the Amazon postage options, but it brings the total up to within $20 of the Sub Pop price and those guys are shrewd about how they label international items.

Genuine question - do you think Sub Pop will value this below $25 for customs purposes? It is a large box set after all. I just bought a single LP from them that they valued at $10 which is pretty much what they sold it for.

If they value it at just $26, you are liable for an extra $55 in VAT and charges. It's quite a risk to take.

Genuine question - do you think Sub Pop will value this below $25 for customs purposes? It is a large box set after all. I just bought a single LP from them that they valued at $10 which is pretty much what they sold it for.

If they value it at just $26, you are liable for an extra $55 in VAT and charges. It's quite a risk to take.

Maths fail.

It could fall anywhere between about £11.25 and £33 to import this if they declare at greater than $25. The charge is 20% of (value+shipping), and often the shipping price is not on the front of the parcel (this has saved me money a couple of times), so £11.25 is based on a declaration of $26 with no added postage and £33 is based on the full $200.

Here's what Sub Pop have to say:

https://megamart.subpop.com/faq

At Amazon's price (not paying up front but when you received the parcel) the full import cost would be £25.75 ish.

This is also based on using Royal Mail. They charge an £8 handling fee. Others charge other amounts. UPS charge and £11 fee.

Great, thanks for the info. I'm clueless about these charges - maybe I've always been lucky. How do you know if there are extra charges due - do they tell you on delivery, or is there an extra bill attached or what?

Royal mail stick a card through your door with the amount on. UPS show up with the parcel and demand money on the doorstep. ALWAYS check for accuracy. UPS tried to overcharge me once and another time (via Royal Mail) the seller overvalued the items. UPS were good and waived the entire fee (but not the VAT), the overvaluing seller pretended not to understand the problem and lost any more business from me.

If I ever get overvauled items again I will refuse to take delivery of the parcel and insist on my money back as the items were not as described. I don't have any experience of any other couriers.

I ordered a box set from Amazon Canada recently and deliberately chose the slowest and cheapest shipping to keep the VAT and handling charge down. They didn't charge me any more but they sent it express which meant UPS were used rather than Royal Mail. As UPS have a higher handling charge, I persuaded Amazon.ca to refund me the difference as they had deviated from the contract between us.

Getting quite a bit off topic here - sorry.

Off topic: No chance of Sub Pop overvaluing though I guess?

On topic: Someone made a good point on the Corin Tucker page on Facebook - wasn't there a live video/DVD due? That would be ace. I only saw SK once, in 2006, and David Cross introduced them. I wish I could see them again.

Off topic: No chance of Sub Pop overvaluing though I guess?

It was Popmarket. They charged me in £ but valued in $. They valued the goods at an exchange rate that hasn't been seen in over a decade. If they charge in $ and value in $ like pretty much everywhere does then there shouldn't be a problem.